280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensor Light and some other random questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Sensor Light and some other random questions...

Sensor light is on, I know Autozone doesn't check OBD1, does any local shop(local as in Napa, Autozone, etc..) do it for free or close to it?

Quick diagnostic: Engine has a hard cold start, and once it starts it builds its idle from 400-500 up to 1000 before it runs. Once its running its strong but does have a miss at idle. No obvious smoke from exhaust. It does smell a bit rich to me, and under hard acceleration (shift at 5500 WOT) it did dispense some gray smoke... So i was thinking O2 if it has one. Any other ideas?

Also speedo seems to be about 10mph slow, reading 45 when I was doing 55, and 25-30 in a 35-40. Not sure at slower speeds, but is the speedo adjustable?. Tire size should put the car a tad fast, not slow. It also bounces a lot < 25.

Lastly, clutch catches a bit late for my tastes (end of throw when cold). Most hydo clutch's aren't adjustable but can it be adjusted at the pedal?

Thanks for any tips!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok The sensor is for the O2 Check. I dont remember off the top of my head on how to turn off the light. and the car doesn't even have OBD system lol

Speedo is a very common problem, pull out the inter cable from the speedo cable and clean them well the spray them down with WD-40

The clutch is adjustable by where the master cylinder rod hooks to the pedal. pedal free play is something like 4mm

Wouldnt hurt to do a full tune up like Oilchange, spark plugs, wires cap rotor, Adjust the valves and clean the AFM along will clean up all the electronic connectors inside the engine bay. Be Careful! their extremely brittle!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the quick response. The car is in desperate need of a tune up, sat for about a month, and was previously only rarely driven for I don't know how long. What it needs is a good oil change, and a nice long hard drive out in the country

Forgot a question: When I bought the car the temp sensor was... dislodged inside the instrument console. I took the console apart and re-attached it (had screws but they where undone/loose??) but it's not getting a reading at all. Is their a sensor in the engine compartment I should check?

Once again thanks for any tips.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Sat for a month? Hopefully with a full tank of gas else you might have rust in your gastank which would mean clogged screens and fuel filter.

Um I never took my dash apart yet. But I would clean your connector thats on the sensor in the thermostat housing
Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 PM

I am a bit worried about that too. It wasn't full, but not empty either say just over a 1/4 tank. Seems the fuel level sensor is a bit out of wack as well as I can swing from empty to 1/4 full on a single corner.

I will check the sensor on the thermostat, didn't want to dran the coolant.... Is the thermostat on the out take to engine (top of radiator?)
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

You dont have to drain the coolant unless your remove the entire sensor. And its actually on the engine head behind the distributor. where the top radiator house goes to.

And nice, I can go that to an extent in my Z as well. The sensors are just a little over sensitive I believe
Old 08-19-2009, 06:38 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jtschmitz
Sensor light is on, I know Autozone doesn't check OBD1, does any local shop(local as in Napa, Autozone, etc..) do it for free or close to it?
Just an FYI... The first Z to have a self diagnostic tool was the 84 Z31.

FYI #2: OBD is car specific, and just because Autozone says they don't have "the tools" doesn't mean you can't get the codes on a car w/ OBD. Most OBD1 diagnostics just use several steps to get the codes to flash for you.

Last edited by NismoPick; 08-19-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 PM
eff good grammar

you think you might just want to say the car is not ODB any thing?

as for the sensor light are you talking about the changing information center thing in the middle of the dash? if so then check and see if theres a sensor some place unplugged or doesent have a good connection. i have had a few bad sensors but the light only came on if it was unplugged
Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM

280zx

Hell, my sensor light comes on all of the time unless I have the ac or heat on. Then it shuts off. Its been like that every since iv had the car for the past 8 years or so and Iv changed the the manifold sensor and it still does it. Have fun with that one bud.