280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please I need HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:32 AM

Please I need HELP!!!!!

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year to everyone. Please someone help me. Yesterday I turn on the car because I was going to take it to a paint job. But when I runned it, it felt (in spanish we said: ahogado; the literal translation to that is drowned, but I don't know if the terminology is used literal), like the gasoline is not doing it right. The engine only staid started if i keep the revs over 2,000 or more. It turn off on idle speed. I tried to go thru a hill and in first gear it almost didn't make it. The gas pedal was down to the floor, and in the hill it was almost dead. The car is smoking a little bit, thing that it never made before, until yesterday.
Everything came after I changed the TB to a 60 mm. In that process the TPS break and I haven't replace it because I read here that somebody says that it wasn't necesary.
Do I need a new TPS?
Is the TPS making the malfunction?
What else could it be?

P.D.:I am really sorry if I can't explain me well, but in technical things the translation of english and spanish is not always literal so I don't know exactly how to explain in english. And I'm no mechanic, just a student, so please be patience with me.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:37 AM
The Good Twin

The TPS shouldn't affect it so much that it floods... It sounds like it's running too rich, or too lean.

What color is the exhaust smoke?
-Black sooted smoke means it's running too rich

Start with pulling the spark plugs. look at the tips & see if they are wet, black, or tan.

Wet= flooded
Black=too rich
Tan=too lean
Old 12-30-2005, 08:40 AM

yes nismo the smoke is a little black and ir smell like burn gasoline
Old 12-30-2005, 08:45 AM
The Good Twin

It's gotta be runnin too rich.

Check all the sensor connections to make sure nothing got knocked loose. Especially the head temp sensor on the right side of the head.

Was anything else touched when doing the 60mm tb? Like the AFM, or idle adjustment screw?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:55 AM

what you mean with sensor connections?; What sensor? I just know the TPS; about the head temp sensor, where is that?; what you mean by the head?; I just move the AFM a little bit to take the tb out easier, but anything else; and about the idle adjustment screw, I don't think that i touched it.
What should I do or change?
Should I get a new TPS anyway?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 AM
The Good Twin

head = cylinder head on top of the engine block.

the head temp sensor & AFM are the main sensors that will cause a fuel problem. I would also advise in getting the TPS sensor back on.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:05 AM

hey nismo you're great!!!
last question (by now): Ok, this is what I am going to do:
1. check the spark plugs. If anyone is wet, black or tan, should I replace it?
2. check all the connections
3. get the new tps
4. check the AFM. How do I know if it is Ok?
5. how do I know if the idle adjustment screw is ok?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Jack Of All Trades

If the motor ran fine before the T/B mod, I'd seriously check the AFM electrical connections and then for a major vacuum leak. This would be anywhere in between the AFM and T/B and any other lines that should be attached. Does the new T/B have the same number vacuum connections as the old one? Maybe there's one that needs to be capped off. Are any vacuum lines cracked or broken?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:02 PM

Yeah I'm going to go with canyoncarver on this one. I'm thinking a vacuum hose got left unplugged or got knocked loose somewhere. Also, when you moved the AFM, it may have pulled a wire or the entire connector loose. But I'd go with vacuum leak first.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:11 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
if you are refering to the performanc 60mm tb in motor sport, have to use a difrent idle ajdustment screw the ariginal one isn't the right one. that is what it sounds like to me.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:25 PM

I would like to say thanks to everyone. The problem was in the hose that goes out of the fuel pressure regulator; it had a crack, and it causes a failure.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:33 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by efrain
I would like to say thanks to everyone. The problem was in the hose that goes out of the fuel pressure regulator; it had a crack, and it causes a failure.

Sheesh! Good thing it didn't blow. You didn't notice a heavy "fuel" smell?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Sheesh! Good thing it didn't blow. You didn't notice a heavy "fuel" smell?
I think He's talking about the vacuum line.... (Not fuel line).

Rod.