280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM

Unhappy No Gas

I've had my 81' 280zx/ no Turbo sitting for a year. Was last working on the injecters (leaking a little gas) - when I came back to it I had no fuel going to it. Starter fluid would let it sputter a little. no gas at the plugs. Drained the tank, changed fuel pump, same result. How do I figure out where the fuel stops flowing? Can I pull the fuel line somewhere to see if it's even trying? I figure it's getting spark because it will sputter with starting fluid.
Thanks for any ideas.
stub

Oh, Ya....Yes I did put gas back in the tank....
Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Is your fuel pump getting power? Can you hear it prime?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Hoov for Pres!

If it's priming, take off the fuel line to the rail, and make sure it's making it there. If not, check the fuel filter. I would imagine you would at least get a trickle. If it get's to the rail, you can remove the injector bank, and see if they are firing. I would check pressure too. Pump should be arounf 80-90psi, regulated to around 40-45psi at the rail, and returned to tank.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 PM

I don't think so, don't hear anything. I checked what i believe is the line between filter and "The Rail". There was fuel there but I tried to start it didn't produce any flow. No power to the pump?

Last edited by Stub; 03-19-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Stub
I don't think so, don't hear anything. I checked what i believe is the line between filter and "The Rail". There was fuel there but I tried to start it didn't produce any flow. No power to the pump?
Either there is no power to the pump. Or the fuel pump is fried. There are many areas to troubleshoot. I am sure someone else will guide you. I would right now....but I am tired. lol Seriously...you start with one thing. And then if that doesn't work. Try another thing. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:13 AM

When you are checking to hear for the electric fuel pump to make any noise when you click the ignition switch over you only have a few seconds to hear the fuel pump to do its thing and than it shuts off until you start cranking the engine which at that point you probably won't be able to hear the fuel pump to know if it was working or not. Do you have a fuel gauge ? If not buy one from harbor freight for less than $15 (If you plan on keeping this car any length of time you will use it more than once). Connect the T fitting (comes with the gauge) on the out of the fuel filter (the part going towards the fuel injectors and connect the gauge to the center of that T and crank the engine. Should have reading of 30lbs or so. Before connecting the fuel pressure gauge up remember to depressurize the fuel system by disconnecting harness to the fuel pump.And than crank the engine a couple times..While you have the wiring disconnected you could at that point check to see if you are getting any electric to the fuel pump but you will need an assistant because again when you turn ignition switch on the test light would light only for a few seconds. If everything checks out ok there then check to see if you hear the fuel injectors clicking with a large screwdriver against your ear and the other end towards the fuel injector while some one is cranking the engine (you should hear clicking) If you hear clicking the injectors are getting power.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 AM

One other thing after you depressurize the fuel system to hook up the gauge don't forget to reconnect the wiring to the fuel pump before doing the test..duh