280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New, and this might be covered already but I dotn see it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM

New, and this might be covered already but I dotn see it.

I need your help... I own a 1979 Nissan 280ZX. It was working fine till recently, and since I'm a no grease monkey, and a newbie, I need your help and diagnosis! Here's my only problem...When the car is hot, and then I turn it off, and leave it for like 10-30 minutes, when I try to start it up again, it smells like gas out my exhaust, and has trouble starting. It'll try to start, then after a few rumbling noises, it gives out, until I try this for a few minutes. Then it slowly rises in rpm's like a lawnmower starting when you first give it gas. Slow rumble, to fast rumble, then the car gets back to normal after a few. What the hell is going on?

I think it might be leaky injectors but eh.. what do you think? Should I buy new injectors?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 PM

seems like youre running too rich, leaky injectors are a possability. do you get black smoke from the exhaust?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver! Sounds somewhat like an AFM problem. Is it blowing black smoke when it's doing this? Also... next time it happens, pull your spark plugs to see what they look like. See if all the tips look the same. It deffinately could be leaky injectors.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 PM

Thanks ^_^. I'm going to like it here. I'm trying to learn about mechanical car related stuff, but I'm a total newbie. Spark plugs I'll try out.

And black smoke, nope. But a pungent smell of gas, it's probably killed my catalytic converter already (I drive in California, oh so strict ><).

I do get extra exhaust though, (It isn't black though, but since I'm up in Canada at the moment it's been cold, looks all white, which is probably heat related).
Old 01-03-2007, 10:51 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Zachrates
I do get extra exhaust though, (It isn't black though, but since I'm up in Canada at the moment it's been cold, looks all white, which is probably heat related).
Blows white when the engine is cold, or all the time?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 PM

Cold. And like I said it might just be heat related since it's damn cold now.

I really did buy a fixer-upper <.<. But I'm hoping to not get raped at the mechanic. I know a good one down in Cali where I live, but right now I'm in Canada, and don't want to damage the car further if there is any damage being done.

Last edited by Zachrates; 01-03-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Taste My Rainbow

i'm having the same issue with my 79. What is happening is your getting to much fuel and running really rich. So what you can do as stated above is check the plugs, electrical connections and make sure all of your wires are grounded corectley. Also read the sticky on the afm adjustment by jfairladyz and run that as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:08 PM

Awesome. Did it fix the problem? Or haven't you done it yet?
Oh almost forgot. The idle fluctuates too. It sounds like it keeps revving then falling. It does this for like... hmm.. 100 rpms or so. If that helps any to narrow it down.

Last edited by Zachrates; 01-03-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Taste My Rainbow

yeah thats mine all right.. I just pulled the fuel rail and cleaned the injectors and some other connections. Not sure if its going to fix it yet my battery went dead before I could try it. If your plugs are all black get some cheap champions to Trouble shoot the issue that way it will save you money. Once you get it fixed then get NKG's. You have any pics of your car?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 AM

Sure, keep me updated, I'll try this fix on my own, but I've never done car work before, except for the simple stuff (Changing spark plugs, wires, oil/ATF) blah blah.

I'll get some pics after I wash it. Been dying to try out my camera anyway
Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Taste My Rainbow

what color is it??? i'm still trying to find another one out there that has my same paint job.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Welcome to Zdriver Zachrates, you are already cool in my book. You have some lyrics from one of my all time favorite bands. "RUSH" And also good song choice, off the "Signals" album. I like "Losing it", "Subdivisions", and "Countdown" Anyway good stuff.

Yeah I would say you are running rich. Check you AFM, as has been suggested already. It can cause all kinds of runnability issues. Mine was so bad, my Z refused to run at all. It would run majorly rich, and then as soon as you took your foot off the gas. It would die, and wouldn't start for a while, or until after you cleaned the plugs, because they were so fouled up.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Taste My Rainbow

Yup My Guess As Well
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Welcome to Zdriver Zachrates, you are already cool in my book. You have some lyrics from one of my all time favorite bands. "RUSH" And also good song choice, off the "Signals" album. I like "Losing it", "Subdivisions", and "Countdown" Anyway good stuff.

Yeah I would say you are running rich. Check you AFM, as has been suggested already. It can cause all kinds of runnability issues. Mine was so bad, my Z refused to run at all. It would run majorly rich, and then as soon as you took your foot off the gas. It would die, and wouldn't start for a while, or until after you cleaned the plugs, because they were so fouled up.

Hey thanks man, one of my all time faves too. Signals and Permanent waves are my favorite albums I think.

As for the Car, Skittle it's pretty nice color, deep blue with metal flake; I dont think you'll ever find a guy with the color of yours =D. I'll get pics up soon. Just need to give it a wash, it's covered in dirt by the tons of rain pouring here, and mud ><. I need to replace my wheels too. Was a steal though, the guy sure didn't know what he had. Only 79k original miles now (I had it checked out) it isn't even overturned. The guy just kept it in a garage, then sold it to me for 2k. It's not manual though, 3 speed automatic (So odd).

Anyway, as for the AFM, eesh, this is going to be tricky. I've never done any real car work, do you think I should try, or have a professional do it?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:10 AM
The Good Twin

Check your spark plug tips before you do anything.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Check your spark plug tips before you do anything.
Ok, and if they're clean try it? And if not, what then?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:25 AM
The Good Twin

Just report back on how they look (post a pic if you can) and we'll go from there.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM

*bangs head against wall* my mother in law decided to do some "Tidying up" and I can't find my torque wrench anywhere ><. Might be a day or two.

Edit: Oh man am I a complete newbie haha. I mixed up torque wrench and ratchet. I meant ratchet.

Last edited by Zachrates; 01-04-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Taste My Rainbow

he means rachetsss...lol
Old 01-04-2007, 08:00 PM

you say u smell gasoline? Your car sounds like its not burning the air/fuel mixture completely sounds like its misfiring. One or more of your cylinders may not have enough spark to completely burn. Try checking your igntion timing and also make sure that all your plugs are firing correctly.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by autobot280zx
you say u smell gasoline? Your car sounds like its not burning the air/fuel mixture completely sounds like its misfiring. One or more of your cylinders may not have enough spark to completely burn. Try checking your igntion timing and also make sure that all your plugs are firing correctly.

But I only smell gasoline after it's been hot for a while, then I turn it off for 10-30 min (I.E. shopping) then try to start it again. It's not all the time, just when it starts like that, and sometimes on a cold start. Also, if it was timing, wouldn't that problem happen /every/ start? it only happens like this in that specific situation.

Good news is I found the ratchet. bad news is my father in law has the right mm piece I need. My car has huge nuts man lol =P

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it (Although it probably needs cleaning anyway) we can probably rule out the afm, the timing, the fuel pump etc. Because this problem is merely situational. If it was any of those things, it would happen /all/ the time, and it doesn't. Only in that one scenario I mentioned. It's gotta be a leaky injector, or some sort of problem regarding expansion or contraction of a part. Seeing as the only difference in the car in this scenario is rapid cooling and heating. Right? I'm no mechanic, but this is just logical deduction I think....

Last edited by Zachrates; 01-04-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Sorry for the double post. Tomorrow I'll have pics of the spark plugs for sure. But you know... I'm really starting to wonder if this isn't just Vapor Lock

Down at the bottom is my exact symptom...

A vapour lock can also develop when the engine is stopped while hot and the vehicle is parked for a short period.

Seeing as right now I'm in Vancouver BC, I don't know. When I get back home to Anaheim I'll have to see if my symptoms continue there. Then I'll know it was just altitude. Even still I'm probably running a bit too rich. Going to do the AFM rebuild soon. If anything else, it will improve drive-ability.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Big Poppa

dude, im in mission b.c., 1 hour from you, i am a mechanic, i can help!!! ill give you a pm with my number. i also have spare parts
Old 01-06-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
dude, im in mission b.c., 1 hour from you, i am a mechanic, i can help!!! ill give you a pm with my number. i also have spare parts
Really man? I appreciate it ^^. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Finally got to taking out the plugs... hoolly ****. Burning rich indeed.

Black!

Dirty!

Soot!

Wound up cleaning out the intake with some cleaner, and changing all the Bosch POS's with NGK ones. What an improvement! However, I'm not sure if all the symptoms are gone now, haven't let it run hot and park it.

Furthermore the AFM was not even sealed back up. I can take the case off with little effort. The previous owner can suck it. If water got in there I'd be screwed.

Drives a lot better than it did at least.

I'll see Shady tomarrow and see if he can help me out lol.

Quick Reply: New, and this might be covered already but I dotn see it.