280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car had an Aneurysm...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:56 AM

My car had an Aneurysm...

My poor car... its had an aneurysm... two burnt out capacitors in the ECU

Explains why there is no spark and fuel...

So anybody know where i can get another ECU quickly? Or if it is possible to fix, i do know how to use a sodering iron.

Also, what are the voltages and current that should be running to the ECU for power?

I will be going out and searching the u-pull-it for it... or if anyone knows of one near the san juaquin valley that would be great!

BTW 1982 280 ZX Turbo

Last edited by Duck Ryder; 08-19-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Big Poppa

take it to a electronix place and they should be able to help you. they should be able to identfy the parts and intall them cheap, but if you can find a replacement, you may want to do that.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Those don't look like capacitors...hard to tell for sure but I think they are diodes. Looks like the big resistor just above the area you circled is smoked too.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:03 PM
The Good Twin

That board looks pretty fried. You can find turbo ecu's on ebay all the time from $20-$50.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
That board looks pretty fried. You can find turbo ecu's on ebay all the time from $20-$50.
I 2nd that. It looks Like the board is a goner
Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 AM

You can tell that it literally caught on fire, and which direction is up.

I searched three pick-n-pulls within 30 miles and struck out. All three locations had at least one 81-83 Z, but they were all non-turbo models. However they were all in good shape (some better than my car) for parts. funny thing is, they were all missing the AFM.

I am tempted to buy the ECU out of one of them just so i can get the diodes out and put them into mine. However that might just be too risky.... unfortunately I am under a time crunch...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Duck Ryder

I am tempted to buy the ECU out of one of them just so i can get the diodes out and put them into mine. However that might just be too risky.... unfortunately I am under a time crunch...
If they are cheap it's worth a try. I'd say chances are decent that those parts would have a better than average shot of being the same on both models. Chances are good that the difference in the two models is in the microprocessors and the rest of the boards are identical. Just pay close attention when you pull a component out that you put it in your ECU in the same direction. Resistors are the only thing that doesn't matter which direction you put it in.

I'd replace everything that is circled along with the three to the left of your circle, the big fat toasted brown resistor to the right of your circle, the big white rectangle resistor and also the green transistor outside of your circle. If you have a multimeter you can test them, but without one it's just guessing.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM

New ECU in and the car started up! Little green light on the ECU came on as soon as i turned the car on, and i could hear the fuel pump going. The car seems to be running a little ruff, however it has been sitting for almost 3 years...
Old 08-21-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Duck Ryder
New ECU in and the car started up! Little green light on the ECU came on as soon as i turned the car on, and i could hear the fuel pump going. The car seems to be running a little ruff, however it has been sitting for almost 3 years...

Awesome, congrats! Nice lookin car, it's my favorite color.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 AM

Question about your burnt out " diodes " in yoru ecu its super important too. I have two 280zx turbo ecus witch seem to not let the " fuel pump " kick in im not even gonna try and mess with it tonight but does your fuel pump still turn on ? with the bad ecu in place ? its very important u write back on this one so i can fix the two ecus i have. these are 82 turbo ecus i have i have my wifes 280zx na ecu 1 ...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ We've talked about that before... the 280zxt has a fuel pump control module above the ecu. It does get signal from the ecu, but the module is what controls & gives power to the pump.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by nismo619
Question about your burnt out " diodes " in yoru ecu its super important too. I have two 280zx turbo ecus witch seem to not let the " fuel pump " kick in im not even gonna try and mess with it tonight but does your fuel pump still turn on ? with the bad ecu in place ? its very important u write back on this one so i can fix the two ecus i have. these are 82 turbo ecus i have i have my wifes 280zx na ecu 1 ...
The Pump got no power and was non-operational with the dead ECU