280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need help quick please

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 AM

i need help quick please

i did the auto to manual swap, but the transmission still has about a 1/4 gap from the motor is that a real big problem did the transmission just not slid in all the way? and the car wont strat now, how do i get the thing to start, all it does is just sound like electric stuff is workin but the motor doesnt crank or anythin. it used to do that to when it was an auto, because it wasnt in park all the way so since i dont have park anymore how do i get it to go? please help much assitance is needed!!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

okay when you did the swap did you remove the spacer between the crank and the flywheel.. on the auto theres a spacer between tthe flywheel and crank that has to be removed on the manual... of not the tranny aill not go in all the way and your starter will not engage the flywheel...
Old 07-26-2004, 01:15 PM

that spacer is just a little circle with like little holes in it correct, because i got that off and i screwed the bolts in all the way and still nuthin
Old 07-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

well the only other thing i can think of is that its miss alighed.. if the tranny wont bolt all the way in then the car wont start.. the flywheel wont lign up with the starter...
Old 07-26-2004, 08:40 PM

i think i got it firgured out i broke the clutch hose, and so the clutch isnt engagin or disengagin so i believe thats should do it i've got to go to a junkyard tomorrow to pick up the hose until my braided one comes in shortyl. thnaks for your help. i'll let you know tomorrow how it turned out
Old 07-27-2004, 09:16 AM
The Evil Twin

Don't even try to start it unless the transmission is against the engine and bolted securely. Also, I think there is a different starter for a manual transmission because of the spacing of the ring gear. If you are still using the other starter from the auto, try finding a manual transmission starter at the junk yard.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:08 PM

i got the tranny all the way on, and i looked it up the starter is exactly the same for both auto and stick. so right now i'm just waitin on the clutch hose and it should be good to go, thanks everyone for your help
Old 07-30-2004, 01:41 PM

when you changed the flywheel did you install a pilot bearing? i in a hurry and totally forgot about it and had to drop the tranny for it.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:03 PM

i got it all on there how it was suppost to go, but i'm runnin in to a problem. my starter motor isnt engagin the flywell. do you know why, i rigged it up so the little whatever its called hits it. but i dont want things to break. oh and one other thing i cant get the clutch pedal is not poppin back up? can anybody help with these problems.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

did you bleed your slace cylinder.. thats prolly why your pedal wont go back up..
Old 08-01-2004, 09:50 PM

i bleed the slave cylinder twice, and it still not goin back up, i might need to adjust the little actual pedal, does anybody know how to make the starter hit the flywheel? it barely hits its, and doesnt go in the teeth to turn it, the flywheel is all the way on and its on the right way, but its still wont hit, and the starter is the same on the auto and the manual, and suggestions
Old 08-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

i still think you didnt remove the spacer between the flywheel and crank shaft.. i know there were 2 spacers.. one in front of the flywheel and one behind it.. the one on the crank was prollypressed in and your gonna have to extract it out.. thats why your manul flywheel doesnt go in all th way so your starter cant allign with it... as far as yoru clutch pedal not coming back upp.. that might be your clutch forl popping out of its pivot point... in anycase your goning to have to drop the tranny one more time to see whats going on...
Old 08-04-2004, 11:03 AM

ok guys i got things started, and took it around the block for a spin to see how it works. it was workin fine, but it seems like it slippin in the higher rpms, when i gun it, could it be that the driveshaft isnt long enough, or what could be? thanks for all the help so far, really the other place i used to post told me to search the archives and blah blah blah, and i never got anything fixed, thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 12:24 PM

it souonds like your clutch is slipping. didyou install a new clutch kit? or did you reuse the old one? if you did get a new one then it could be that you need to have your flywheel resurfaced.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

or when you did your install you got a lil grease on your flywheel and that might cause it to slip...
Old 08-04-2004, 02:23 PM

thanks guys for all the help, i'll have to check that out later i dont feel like takin the tranny back out right now, thanks for your help
Old 08-05-2004, 06:36 AM

thats how i got my first z the guy who had it before me wasnt too bright when it came to cars. anyway he said the transmission was shot so when i pulled it i checked the clutch and all that was left was the metal piece that the friction material gets riveted to. so i call him and asked how he changed the clutch the last time it was done. he said that when he pulled it out he noticed some grease on it so he thought that the clutch needed to be greased..... so he put grease on both sides of the clutch. like i said a really dumb guy. cant complain too much got the car, 1981 n/a t-top 5 speed for $200 all it needed was a cclutch.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by cerealkilla
cant complain too much got the car, 1981 n/a t-top 5 speed for $200 all it needed was a cclutch.
cant beat that, i got mine for about 800 but i have had a little more to do to it than that.