280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Love Datsuns!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:35 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey assimilated, you do have a point there. Like I have always said, a Z is a poorman's sports car. But that is not a letdown by any means. It just means that any average joe can afford to have one, and keep it running. It also helps when you sit down take the time, and learn all you can about these cars. In the 5 years I have owned a Z, I have learned so much, but there is still much more to go. And I am not even mechanically inclined. But my interest disregards that! Anyway long live the Z cars, and their drivers, and or owners! Oh yeah and here is the kicker about the whole thing. In 2000 when I got my '81, it was my first fuel injected car! I had no clue on what to do! I mean when one of my injectors started leaking. It took me like over 4 hours to replace it! Because I couldn't figure out how to get the fuel rail to cooperate! Now I can change about any injector in a half hour or so. Man what a difference!

Sorry about my babbling, I just like to share my past experiences! Then I get carried away, and then it turns into a short essay.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:32 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by flightforlife07
I wish I could drive my Z to school everyday but unfortunately I took the motor out. I'm 16 and can't wait to drive my Z. Everyone says they are really fun to drive but I havn't beeen lucky enough to drive it. Like all the rest of you I can't stand stupid rich kids. OH look wut dad bought! When I hear that I think wut good does that do for them. I have to work for everything that I want. Currently I drive an 87 STOCK Toyota pick-up and everyone tells me to lift it and do this that and the other and I think why then I'm like the rest of you. I love my truck but I wish every day that I can drive my Z soon. Glad to know that I'm not the only 16 year old here....
hey you should put a lift kit on your truck...
Old 05-24-2005, 06:29 AM

whats worse is that 3000 is even out of my budget but i can still go fast.. and as i said a while back.. a Z is justa poor man's porsche
Old 05-24-2005, 06:50 AM

Uhhum... I believe the saying go's "poor man's Ferrari."
"The driver of a 360 Modena looks in his rear-view mirror and sees the round emblem of the ZX quikley gaining on him, the Ferrari driver pounds his foot down in an attempt to prevnt the Z from passin, but It's too late, the silver two-toned 280ZX shoots past The stunned German! As the German backs off the accelerator, all he can say is this, "Dat-soon!?!?"
... to be continued
Old 05-24-2005, 04:40 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by assimilated420
why does one need a porsche emblem to go fast? a Z can go equally as fast, if not faster than a porsche

point is.. the Z is the best sports car period.... and you get alot more bang for your buck....
you CAN go buy a $50k+ sports car and go really fast OR
you CAN go buy a $500 hoppy-jaloppy Z and spend maybe $3k and go just as fast

you do the math....
I could have bought a Porsche for what I've got in my Z! But I can go faster than nearly every Porsche out there...
Old 05-24-2005, 04:51 PM

the 914 would probably outhandle the Z stock. My dad's 914 came with adjustable suspension, so when doing some heavy cornering, he lowers the front end. He says the Z is so much faster than the porsche though.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:50 PM

id like to see a Z that can beat a McLaren F1 Thatd be sweeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:39 PM

I'll be right on that, right after I build my crotch rocket that'll hit mach1 I love Z's, but nothing would be able to be left stock, therefore it would just be a Z look a like. sounds like a waste of money to me, but I will be faster than a ferrari ...someday.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:51 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

This was as close as we ever came:

Old 05-31-2005, 09:03 PM

im 26 years old when i was 8 i saw this cool looking puerto rican dude driving a 280zx, it was cool blue with chrome american racing mags tinted windows lous stereo everything you could want in 1986
I knew then Z cars were my dream cars, im on my 3rd 280zx first one was an 83 next an 81 now a 79 hardtop. Mommy and Daddy didnt help one bit with any of the cars, work 4 what u want and live your dream.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:00 PM

It was love at first sight when I first saw my Z. I went down to a salvage yard to buy a VW Rabbit cause my girl needed a car. I spotted the Z sitting burried behind a bunch of scrapped cars. I asked the owner about it and he said he'd sell it to me for $800, but the tranny was out. He said for $1200 total, he'd find a tranny and put it in. I told him for $650 I'd pull the 4 speed out of the 76 they had sitting there and put in myself. SOLD. My girl was pretty pissed for awhile, but hey you can't fight love. I gave her my Prizm and I've had my ZX ever since, about 2 years now.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:45 PM

So you have a 4-speed in your ZX?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:03 PM

I saw my first Z when I was 9 years old. My mom ansd I flew out to Oregon to see my Grandpa before he died, but when we pulled up to his house, both our jaws droped! There it was, the car that my mom drempt of when she was a teenager in every detail, same colors, options, everything! When I walked up to the car I asked what it was, when can we go for a ride, and when will it be mine? Her answers where... "A Datsun 280ZX, right now, and when your 18." Sure as **** I got the car two years early, when I turned 16 earlier this year! I've loved that Z since that first glimpse pulling into my G-pa's driveway! The only difference is that it was MINT when we got it! Not a scratch! Now it's rusted through in about 7 spots, and got parked under a Chevy S-10 ( that would be my mother's doings).
Old 06-01-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew888
So you have a 4-speed in your ZX?
Yup. Mean acceleration. Horrible gas mileage Hwy, don't really notice it around town though. That car is completely stock, even has a bad valve and still breaks traction in second. Can't hear the stereo on the Hwy either though, the engines reving so high and I don't have a muffler. I just put on one of those dual tips like the one from MSA that replaces the muffler. Sounds mean as hell.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:31 PM

I just got myself my 280zx and heaps of my friends laugh cause it's a datsun. I am only 18 but have now owned 16 cars and i enjoy cruising around in my 280 heaps more than the newer, more expensive cars i have owned. 280's are PIMPED.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 PM

Just scrape off that Datsun emblem and put a Nissan emblem on there. The DMV here in South Dakota, USA will even register it as a Nissan because technically it wasn't a branch company like Acura is to Honda. They just changed their name. The VIN comes up Nissan/Datsun.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:49 PM

ow man! that's harsh, screw the other kids! never treat your Datsun that heartlessly!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:53 PM

top idea. Guys laugh but chicks dig it... what's not to dig though... long, low, loud, black and the roof comes off!!!! now just to find a nissan badge... do they have an LSD? cause mine loves hanging out around corners...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:54 PM

I haven't called mine a Datsun since I bought it. All I have to say is Z and everyone knows what I'm talking about. A true testament to the legend of these cars. Datsun/Nissan, it doesn't matter, it's a Z either way and thats what matters. The greatest sports car series ever, hands down.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 PM

I just call mine "the 280" but people go huh? haha... Thcars oney are the classiest the road.... so neone know if mine has lsd? it's a 1980
Old 06-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by 280ZXCruiser
top idea. Guys laugh but chicks dig it... what's not to dig though... long, low, loud, black and the roof comes off!!!! now just to find a nissan badge... do they have an LSD? cause mine loves hanging out around corners...
Thats the fun in driving these things, letting it hang out. They could use an LSD though, these things love to oversteer. You gotta love rear wheel drive. You can get an LSD from a few companies. Quaife make a version of an LSD, not a true one though, but good for the curves. MSA sells a couple versions, the quaife, and a true LSD which is better used for acceleration in a straight line.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:01 PM

They didn't come with LSD's in 80. If I'm not mistaken I read in another post that the Z31 was the first Z with a LSD. I'm not sure though.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I haven't called mine a Datsun since I bought it. All I have to say is Z and everyone knows what I'm talking about. A true testament to the legend of these cars. Datsun/Nissan, it doesn't matter, it's a Z either way and thats what matters. The greatest sports car series ever, hands down.
You got that right on the money. They are one of the best sportscars ever to be created! No matter what, of course the Lamborghini Countach with the v-12, is my absolute dream car! But I am proud to call mine a Datsun. I get insulted when somebody calls it a Nissan! I always liked Datsun better!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
They didn't come with LSD's in 80. If I'm not mistaken I read in another post that the Z31 was the first Z with a LSD. I'm not sure though.
'87 is the year for LSD
Old 06-02-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
You got that right on the money. They are one of the best sportscars ever to be created! No matter what, of course the Lamborghini Countach with the v-12, is my absolute dream car! But I am proud to call mine a Datsun. I get insulted when somebody calls it a Nissan! I always liked Datsun better!
I have actually gotten in a fight for someone calling my 280 a Nissan, of course I ...was....uhhhhhm..........yeah.

Quick Reply: I Love Datsuns!