ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/)
-   -   I Love Datsuns! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/i-love-datsuns-11270/)

Graham_Creager 01-04-2005 07:03 PM

I Love Datsuns!

im only 16, with the coolest freakin car in my school!!! how can u go wrong with a Z, i love my car i wouldnt drive anyhting else....i was wondering if anyone knew the stock horse power of a 280zx??? :headspin:

EZDUZIT 01-04-2005 08:13 PM

I think its 145HP at the crank. Not 100%sure though.

Dorifto 01-04-2005 08:52 PM

I'm with ya Graham - I'm only 17. Gotta love the old-schoolers, eh? I wish I could say the same about my Z being the coolest car there, but when you used to park next to a BMW Z3 everyday, that kinda takes the edge off your appeal ... :rolleyes: Dang those rich football players.

145 should be the magic number to the flywheel, and I think 150-something ft. lbs. of torque.

Keep reppin' the Z's in high-schools!

-Dave

Bleach 01-04-2005 10:51 PM

The 75-80 engines have 135 wheel hp. The 81-83 are 145 wheel hp.

Remember the older 280Z says 170hp on the engine tag. That's 170 flywheel hp. So, the later engines probably run 180 hp at the crank.

A lot of the engines are running less than stock power now due to age and being out of tune. Old timing chains are a major cause.

KTM200-280zxt 01-05-2005 11:39 AM

Hey, I'm only 15 and I have a datsun. I personally think there is just something really cool about the car. But for some reason not to many people tend to agree with me since it's not a crx with a folgers can clamped on it or an old truck with muddin tires, they think it's slow cause the way it looks. I have the turbo, does any one now the wheel and crank power for one of those?

assimilated420 01-05-2005 12:08 PM

hey im not the only young'n here i can see...17 with an 81 280zx turbo..and man..i ****ing hate my upscale neighborhood so much, EVERYone, im not talking out of generalization, i mean EVERY sob has a nice car or big ass truck with mud tires and custom exhaust, or decked out ride with all sorts of badass shit or souped-up hot rod around here with maybe an exception of 1/500

its just sick! but im glad i have a cool car because..im not huge fan of imports, but nissan does a damn good job, and there is just something about my Z that i just love, it drives so nice, i get good handling, i can zoom when i wanna zoom and chill when i wanna chill.. and i only need 2 seats... just one for me n my lady... and i will probably keep this car as long as i live...ill drive it til i die, if it gets totaled ill buy another...not too many can really appreciate these cars, you either love em or ya dont, and if ya love em, youll love em for life..

and i cant wait... when i get 3k to buy a 5-speed and rebuild my engine bottom up...i have many good hook-ups, i can get a 5speed for 800....plus my engine will only cost 1000 or so, plus im going to put twin turbos with performance cam, bored cylinders, a .001 or so shaved off the heads plus a good intercooler with dual 3.5" exhaust straight back, no cat no muffler....*drooling* so i can hardly wait..

assimilated420 01-05-2005 12:13 PM

oh btw how much horsepower do the turbo engines get at stock, and how high can these go, cuz ive heard instances of 5-600 hp without nitro

KTM200-280zxt 01-05-2005 12:28 PM

Ya, the kids at my school who actually have nice new cars there parents bought them, man my parents won't even help with insurance. I may not have the "coolest car" according to everyone else at school but I got the fastest.

assimilated420 01-05-2005 12:40 PM

like you said all these kids parents just give em evrything they want...sad...i pay my insurance...

i dont have the fastest...kinda hard to keep up with rich ass mother ****ers....but i do kick a majority's ass...and those Ricers with the coffeecan shit with that bwaaaaahhh sound....i kick their ass every ****ing time..i think its hilarious

tougez 01-05-2005 01:11 PM

And here I am thinking why I am the only one under 20 who loves these cars so much. Well now I know I am not alone. Nothing like owning a car that is older than you. I hear ya on all the rich kids whos parents buy them everything.

280Z4ME 01-05-2005 01:33 PM

When I was in school (1981-1985) I also had to buy all my own crap. Ilucked out and picked up a cherry 70 240Z for 1000. This had the tripple Makuni,s, 5-speed. i installed a KYB suspension package. I us to go to the fair ground s with all the VW Scirrocs and Hondas and just smoke them in the corners. I raced this one fool in a 73 Camero from Tracy,Ca to Manteca Ca and beat his pants off him. I have owned 12 more Z,s since then. I cueerntly drive a 78 280Z with a 5 speed. I have had her for 6 years. I have no plan oon getting rid of her.

Z,s are a 1 of a kind car. You either loev them or hate them.

280gty 01-05-2005 02:53 PM

YEAH...Damn those rich kids cuz if my parents wanted to buy me a Porsche...I'd say NO WAY!!! like all of ya'll would too! :blah:

...On the other hand, many people think my 280zx looks like a classic Porsche anyway! :rockon:

klopas 01-05-2005 04:32 PM

Personally, in my 23 years of existence I'd never wanted to drive anything "sporty" until I saw the 280zx that I currently own and am fixing up.

I don't think sports cars in general are my cup of tea, but I do feel a passion for z cars and I want to optimize mine as much as I possibly can.

KTM200-280zxt 01-05-2005 04:34 PM

Ya I showed some kid a pic of my car and he said "oh thats just a goofy old Porsche." I can kind of see the resemblence. Ya if my parents would buy me a porsche I too would say no way, i might let them buy a 350z though.

DoTheDrew888 01-05-2005 05:34 PM

I'd say yes...... if it was the new Carrera GT.

280Z4ME 01-05-2005 06:44 PM

I wouldnotmind having a 935DB Turbo. I dont think Z,s look anything like a Porsche. The Z has a one of akind look that no one has ever been able to duplicate. Even the 350Z is a lot different then its brother the G35.

KTM200-280zxt 01-05-2005 06:50 PM

Ya know how the G35 is the skyline coupe in japan, is there any difference at all between the two?

assimilated420 01-05-2005 09:46 PM

i have alwayz thought the Z resembled a porsche because it has that slingshot type of body...long front and short body, sorta looks like a z slightly askew...i told my bro, "i think the Zs are just a poor man's porsche that can still kick alotta ass"...

lww 01-05-2005 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by assimilated420
i have alwayz thought the Z resembled a porsche because it has that slingshot type of body...long front and short body, sorta looks like a z slightly askew...i told my bro, "i think the Zs are just a poor man's porsche that can still kick alotta ass"...

You guys are thinking WAY too current for a style comparison... Think about when this car was being designed... 1965 to 1969... Then, think Jaguar E-Type... Look at the hood with the center bulge and the headlight buckets. Look at the angle of the roof to the rear deck lid. If I'm not mistaken, the Jag was considered a significant influence on the body styling of the Z.

The E-Type is a classic and was the car I learned to drive a stick on. When I saved enough money from mowin' lawns to buy my first Z car, the closest I could find to an E-Type style in my price range was the Z and it had all the advantages of the Jag without the price or the temperment (not counting the 73 240z of course! :)).

And don't worry, most of the 'rich' kids in your school now who have everything handed to them will grow up to be nobody's. Trust me, most of the ones at my school ended up as loosers because they never had to learn what it takes to survive in the grown up world. Don't envy them, pity them.

Believe me, I speak with authority. I grew up in a 5200 square foot three story house, learned to play golf at a private country club at age 6 and went to private schools until high-school. I grew up around a LOT of spoiled rich kids. But my parents were a little different.

I didn't understand it or appreciate it at the time, but they made me work my ass off and pay for practically everything myself. If I wanted them to buy me clothes, it was a quick trip to KMart for the latest styles. If I wanted half-way decent clothes that wouldn't get me laughed at, I had to pay for them with money I earned. By the time I was 15 I had bought my first Z car with money I earned mowing lawns, washing cars at the local car wash and digging ditches for an electrical contractor during the 'Summer Break'.

My dad's position was that he had to work to get where he was and I should do the same. No hand outs. He told me once that I could work hard for a few years while I was young and relax the rest of my life or, I could screw off while I was young and end up working my ass off till I die. I worked full time all through college to pay my own way and graduated twice with only one student loan that I paid off while I was still in school.

It sucked at the time, but now I know how not to be stupid with my money and now I run the Operations organization for a $10 billion company, have 6 cars, a boat, a motorcycle and I own a house in the Bay Area in San Francisco next to half the 49'ers and I drive a 20+ year old Z car that will smoke everything they own short of a Lambroghini!

Work smart while you're young and you'll get to play hard for the rest of your life! ;)

Heat Rave R 01-05-2005 11:44 PM

Hehe, since you're in the Bay Area like I am, and seem pretty set, how's about hookin' up a fellow Z-er with a kick-ass job? ^_~

assimilated420 01-06-2005 08:13 AM

oh i grew up in a run down neighborhood where walmart was the hottest place to go...i know a bit bout workin my ass off to get what i want because i had to for everything i have, my car was actually bought for me by my dad 3 years ago, and he just held onto it, and told me id have to get my shit together and prove to him i was worthy of owning it, so you bet i worked my ass off for it, especially after i drove it once...and whoa! just fell in love with it.. and dont think i look up to these rich bastards......i only look down because i may not be rich, but at least im prepared for life, these dumbasses.. i dont even pity them.... theyre in their own dilusional lil world and they can rot in it for all i care...ill be the one who gets the last laugh..HAHAHAHAaaaaaa

280gty 01-06-2005 08:41 AM

-Unfortunately, People from wealthy families actually have an advantage over those who are poorer...you can have poor grades & play hooky from school or work & do drugs but with the right connections...maybe end up being president. :doh:

assimilated420 01-06-2005 08:59 AM

........or dead

Bleach 01-06-2005 09:20 AM

....or manager of Wal-Mart.

Think of all the deals on shift knobs and stickers you could find!

lww 01-06-2005 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Heat Rave R
Hehe, since you're in the Bay Area like I am, and seem pretty set, how's about hookin' up a fellow Z-er with a kick-ass job? ^_~

If you've got a college degree in Computer Science or Management Information Systems PM me your resume.