280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know this has been answered

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Taste My Rainbow

I know this has been answered

My car only requires the charcol canister and the egr. no cat on mine. what eles can i remove from the engine bay and still pass smog?? my car is still not running so what the hell i'll try doing some work on it. thnks much.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:14 PM

If there's no visual inspection you can remove the canister. But thats something they'll spot if they're looking, so if you have visual inspection, leave it. If your area tests for NOx then leave the EGR in otherwise you'll have trouble passing that part. I dont think your year had any other emissions stuff.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Über User

oooo. how do you remove the canister.. cuase im goin emmision less... all out baby... no emmissions for OBDI in IL anymore..
Old 12-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Taste My Rainbow

its a big black canister up near the radiator
Old 12-05-2006, 09:50 PM
No Club Love

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
oooo. how do you remove the canister.. cuase im goin emmision less... all out baby... no emmissions for OBDI in IL anymore..
hmm, unplug vacuum lines and go! oh and block holes in manifold and intake tract.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Über User

i know what the canister is.. im just tryin to make sure i dont eliminate to much... nvm ill figure it out.. but good to know i dont need the canister. cuse my car no come with one...and i know serten vacumme lines go to it.. just didnt like... i dotn know.. ill probably end up making my own vacumme line route and pray for the best lol. good thing its carbd so it shouldnt be to hard.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Big Poppa

i removed my egr and i passes cali standards, a bottle of methyl hydrate fixes that part up real nice, i left the egr but plugged the holes in the intake and header. im too lazy to build a block off port right now.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:16 AM
No Club Love

i'm with you i might try today, if its not freeing ***** out. haha
Old 12-06-2006, 08:49 AM

I blocked mine off really nicely. Ima get some pic's of it up for ya'll in just a couple hour's from now.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540

Unless you like the smell of gas venting in your car I wouldn't remove the canister. Thats what it does. It takes the vapor from the fuel tank and stores it until the engine can burn it. And since the engine doesnt produce vacuum under heavy throttle it doesnt ingest any of this vapor so it is in no way hindering performance (as long as the vacuum lines aren't leaking). On a race car it wouldn't matter, but if this is going to be your daily driver I'd leave it in place. You can go stealth by hiding the canister in the fender or somewhere discrete like that.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Über User

ooo i like that finder idea... i just hate the thing.. its a big black canister with lines going to it... sept i dont have one any ways.. i might be getting hooked up with one. my dad knwos a guy luckily.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:27 PM

Thats what I plan to do, just hide it. That way things are kept clean but I still get the functionality of having the canister.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:35 AM

I ma movin mine to the batt spot once i relocate the batt to the spare tire area.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:47 PM

I also support leaving the canister functioning. Not venting pressure properly from your gas tank could have undesirable results, especially in the case of being rear-ended or something...
Old 12-15-2006, 07:42 AM

On hot day's those vapor's MUST make it out of the tank. If you have ever left a coke in the freezer to long. you know the results. Same effect with the tank. only with gasses instead of soilds. And it will blow a pump seal, or fule line before the tank it's self exploids. The cansiter Safly holds and/or vents these vapor's to the air and intake. If you take you Vent line From the tank off one day at the canister, Hot day. caR ain't ran all day. Put a open flame to it. Then you will find out quick Just how many vapor's come from that tank. and Must be vented. They make smaller canister's on other car's that you can adapt to this car. or reloacte yours out of sight. The fender on these car's are hollow. try puting it there. Mercadyes put's there Fluid tanks inside there fenders on there newer version car's. All in All. Relocate, swap for a smaller one, or leave it alone. That tank MUST have some way to vent.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:46 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah good point Fubar. And also I found out before, that our Z's will not run without the cannister. It just dies, as soon as you unplug a line. But yeah your post makes sense. Got to keep the cannister, and relocate it, like he said. To make it cleaner under your hood. Mine doesn't bother me, I painted it Metallic Blue. He he