280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cleanup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:37 PM

Question Engine Cleanup Questions

Im still working on cleaning up my engine and I found in another thread that you dont need the coolant going to the throttle body correct??? what is the purpose of it?
and looking through the FSM cooling diagram ive found where the coolant come back to the engine from the throttle body, but where is the line that sends the coolant to the throttle body?

also for the pcv oil breathers, Ive read after a while they start dirtying up the engine due to oil spray is that right??? and i read something about a vacuum loss, so im wondering does the pcv oil breather help or hurt the engine & mpg or neither???

thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 PM
The Good Twin

Yes, you can bypass the TB coolant. That coolant line runs from the thermostat housing to the TB, then to the air regulator, across the front of the valve cover & back in to the larger coolant line going to the heater core. I just bypassed my TB line w/ an elbow coolant hose from AutoZone. FYI... they run a coolant line through it because the TB acts as a restrictor & actually cools the air a lot (like a propane tank w/ frost on it after use). So in cold climates it helps keep the TB from sticking / freezing open or shut.

PCV valves just get dirty... it's venting the crankcase, so some oil will eventually work its way though. It just helps the engine breathe.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Yes, you can bypass the TB coolant. That coolant line runs from the thermostat housing to the TB, then to the air regulator, across the front of the valve cover & back in to the larger coolant line going to the heater core. I just bypassed my TB line w/ an elbow coolant hose from AutoZone. FYI... they run a coolant line through it because the TB acts as a restrictor & actually cools the air a lot (like a propane tank w/ frost on it after use). So in cold climates it helps keep the TB from sticking / freezing open or shut.

PCV valves just get dirty... it's venting the crankcase, so some oil will eventually work its way though. It just helps the engine breathe.
THX as always NismoPick, but i had a little trouble understanding that first part. Where did you put that elbow coolant line? thermostat housing to heater core line? or from the thermostat housing to the air regulator?

And about the PCV, the oil breathers wont effect the engine at all or mpg?
thx again
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM
The Good Twin

From the thermo housing to air reg. Here's a pic:

And the pcv can sometimes cause a slight decrease in mpg. If you pull yours & it's really dirty, you can clean in w/ some degreaser, or buy a new one for $2 at the parts store.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 PM

OK I get it and thanks for the pic Im still having some trouble figuring out what everything on the intake manifold is so that was a big help.

And 1 last question to get out there. Im removing the lines that go to the heater core along side the block on the pass. side. I just want to keep the connection towards the front of the block where the coolant from the throttle body cough... uhmmm... i mean air regulator now comes back to the block, is there any prob in removing those lines???

and for those metal THINGS that come out of the block and split the coolant lines in diff directions. how do they come out? just unscrew? and what would i use to plug them up where they connect to the block?

if ALL that is good then with that metal THING still attached to the block towards the very front what would plug up that 1 opening where the coolant line stretched between metal THINGS?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM
The Good Twin

ok I gotta be honest with ya.... I read that last post like 5 times & I don't understand what you're saying. You want to remove all the coolant lines? I think you're making more work for yourself than you need. I'm not sure why everyone wants to take out their heater boxes... but why not just connect both engine bay ends of the heater lines so it makes a loop w/o going through the firewall?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:34 PM

ok I gotta be honest with ya.... I read that last post like 5 times & I don't understand what you're saying. You want to remove all the coolant lines? I think you're making more work for yourself than you need. I'm not sure why everyone wants to take out their heater boxes... but why not just connect both engine bay ends of the heater lines so it makes a loop w/o going through the firewall?
Yeah i had some trouble phrasing it(as idk the technical terms). But you now metal connecter coming out of the block that splits the cooling lines???

would a auto-parts store have something to plug up where that thing comes off of the block or would that be a custom welding thing?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:36 PM
The Good Twin

Most of those fittings should be threaded. But why are you trying to plug them?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:39 PM

Ok Thanks. And To Get Rid Of Those Lines Going To The Heater Core.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:46 PM
The Good Twin

Yeah, just buy the right size threaded plugs for the spout on the head, and the one up front by the lower rad hose. My only concern is that could cause your head to heat up more (which does not = good). That rear spout on the head allows coolant in & out.... you plug that, you might be reducing the coolant flow in the head.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Yeah, just buy the right size threaded plugs for the spout on the head, and the one up front by the lower rad hose. My only concern is that could cause your head to heat up more (which does not = good). That rear spout on the head allows coolant in & out.... you plug that, you might be reducing the coolant flow in the head.
THX, AND YOU MAKE A GOOD POINT. IM NOT REALLY SET ON IT YET IT WAS JUST A THOUGHT AND I LIKE TO GET ALL THE INFO 1ST, BUT YOUVE DEF GIVEN ME SOME MORE TO CONSIDER.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 PM
No Club Love

look where he's at bro..i wouldn't want a heater either...lol, yeah i wouldn't block the rear water line, i think it cools around the pistons, and might go up into the head..i don't know, cause i haven't had my head off...yet....
Old 12-13-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
look where he's at bro..i wouldn't want a heater either...lol, yeah i wouldn't block the rear water line, i think it cools around the pistons, and might go up into the head..i don't know, cause i haven't had my head off...yet....
haha yeah its kinda hot around here. from the cooling diagram i had seen it looked as if the line coming out near the firewall was just coolant flowing out to the heater and back in through the opening near the lower rad hose. I was only talking about pluggin the 1 near the firewall. so wouldnt that mean i could plug the 1 near the firewall and be OK or am I mistaken.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
No Club Love

i don't no dude, it might cause overheating problems....I'm not sure if it'll come out, cause i tried to just spin it a little and it don't move..so nismo, was there a water jacket in the rear of the head, or no?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
i don't no dude, it might cause overheating problems....I'm not sure if it'll come out, cause i tried to just spin it a little and it don't move..so nismo, was there a water jacket in the rear of the head, or no?
whats a water jacket?

sorry for the dumb question but im really trying to learn all i can about engines.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:06 PM
No Club Love

a water jacket is a tunnel where fluids go through to cool the block, head or what ever...Every car has one. There there to cool the motor and keep it from overheating..sorry for the late responce, i was trying to pull an intake manifold...which didn't work.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:45 PM

ahh, pulling the intake manifold. Gotta love that job. If only I had tiny hands it wouldn't be so much of a bastard.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 PM
No Club Love

yeah i don't have tiny hands tho...i had to bend the heat shield and rip off the throttle body it sucked...i also bent the fuel rail and some other crap...it wasn't fun...oh and it was raining...lol
Old 12-15-2006, 07:33 AM

If you would of searched a lil before askin. You would of found a Thread(that actuly at the top of this selection of forum board) This thread tell you all you need to know about these water lines. what and where to cap. Also caping and re routing other things on the intake.

Thread:
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/eliminate-vacuum-hoses-clean-up-intake-manifold-19937/
Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 PM
No Club Love

yeah actually i looked at another site...don't judge me..lol..and braap has his completly gone, so pm him and see whats up...He's seems cool but some ppl over there are ***'s...so haha corrected brother!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Until you do this kind of routing enough times it;s a lovely process of routing one line, running inside to check a forum for routing pictures, routing another line, coming back inside to check a thread, etc etc...
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 PM
No Club Love

naww, he's talking about elimating the water line that goes to the back inlet, after the heater..pm braap and relpy here...that way we all benifit.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Big Poppa

the line running towards the rear of the block does help flow of the coolant to the rear of the motor. if removed it may make the rear cylinders get hotter than the rear, dont know by how much, but it there for a reason, these engines are long, i dont like to mess with engineers designs unless i understand the purpose.