280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me please, mechanically

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

id start taclking one problem at a time and see what happens from there... id start with your cooling system first.. change your thermostat and drain all the water in your engie and your radiatoer... check to see if your radiators needs to be recored... the clicking you hear could be just your valve lifters.. thats a common noise from the Zs... just get your valves adjusted.. your car might also need a really good tuneup or tryto find a really good Z mechanic around your area....
Old 07-16-2003, 12:01 PM

I agree with Ice....Start with the cooling system first. Are you consuming coolant or is it just getting hot? A couple of signs of a blown head gasket are: #1 you're loosing coolant and can't find any leaks, #2 when you check your oil, it looks like a milk shake, #3 you have white wispy looking exhaust. If no signs of a bad head gasket are found, have your cooling system pressure tested...that will tell you where your system leaks are at. You should also check to see if your thermostat is working properly...usually you'll have one radiator hose thats cool to the touch and one that is blazing hot. Its easier to check with a Raytech gun to see what the temp is before the thermostat and after. You could also have cruddy old coolant with a low boiling point along with a faulty radiator cap that doesn't keep the system pressurized. Remember pressure increases the boiling point.
The ticking may be from your valves, but thats a tough call with out being able to hear it. And your revving issue may also be related to your car running hot. The air regulator I believe is temperature dependant. Mine wouldn't work right when my cooling system was low.
Hope all this info helps.