280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello all

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:06 AM

Hello all

Hy im new here and this weekend i picked up a car i always wanted its a 280zx turbo 2+2 anniversary edition with an auto(yeah i know i wish it was a 5 speed but these cars are scarce around here you get what you get)

anyway i was told iti had a turbo unit on it when i got it home i pulled the intake tube and although i could spin it freely i could also move the shaft up and down quite a bit not in or out but up and down.

the question i have that i thought you guys might know are there any other model of cars i can source a turbo from we have plenty salvage yards in my area but very very few z cars and those that are there are not turbos

i have a found a T-3 off a dodge shadow i would have to run coolant lines for really cheap but not sure if it work on the z as its a 4cyl motor

or im just doomed to oerding a 600 dollar reman on line.

any helpo would be great thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 11:12 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

If it's a turbo model (and 2+2), it's not an anniversary model. As for the turbo, how do the fins on the compressor wheel look? Are they chipped, worn, or scratched? And getting another turbo from a junk yard will likely yield another crapped turbo. I suggest contacting your local diesel / turbo shop & have them quote you a price for rebuild (usually ~$300).
Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 AM

cool well the PO said it was anniversary i didnt think it was cause i didnt see any badges or anyhting but my online research half it said it was cause of some of thte options it has and half said it wasnt cause it has a back seat good to know though

i didnt even think of calling the diesel places in town now i feel stupid
Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM

i searched i really did but came up with nothing. 1/4 mile times stock (i did read about high 14 or low 15's on that one ) and modified

i plan to after i replaced the turbo intercool it exhaust and boost controoler up to 10 psi

what do you think that will run. in an auto

see im a olskool hot rod kind of guy and when my friends heard i got this they gave me hell so i want to clean a few clocks when i got her tunned right and running strong.

i waqnt 12's but would be happy with 13 second range. also what kind of HP numbers would that be i have read many diffrent opinions on it.

even though this car is a daily with a few trips out to local road course planned there is still a couple of SBC and SBF's i want to shut up at the strip.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Über User

these cars are 1/4 mile cars, though thats a fun aspect of any vehicle, basically what im trying to say is, make it more than just a dragstrip queen, do some suspension work as well. these cars since its a 2+2 and auto, probably 16's lol, its a slow ****. get a 5spd swap in there its easy to piece together and pretty damn easy to do as well. as for the new turbo intercooler up the boost, you might shed half a second off the 1/4 time. who knows though. get a manual trans and some traction maybe you can be in the lower 14's then.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

welcome to ZDriver

btw what year is it 81? 82? 83?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Anally Challenged

Hey Oklahoma what's up I don't think any j/y turbo is going to match up on the hot side unless you find a z31 which will be close. Like NismoPick said, the best you can hope for in a j/y is a core for rebuilding. Better to rebuild yours with a bigger compressor. Try AZ Turbo & Tractor Supplly....1-888-253-9950
Tell them what your goals are and where you're at now and they can help you out. No ricers or smartasses there.
Check this out for reference: http://www.mygen.com/users/dbruce/my...sor%20Maps.htm

There is a replacement for displacement Just make sure you have a way to get more fuel to match the air before going much bigger than stock.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 AM

cool thanks for all the info guys this weekend im yanking the turbo off completely and then trying to find out which direction i want to go with it
Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 AM

oooh its an 82 and i know they make better track cars than strip i just want to spank a couple pepole so they will shut up. i plan on running at the closest track a few times here its called hallett and its a very technical course high hp doesnt help you there but being able to get off the corners does so any performance on the strip will also pay off at the track.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 AM
The Evil Twin

12's is asking a lot for a 280ZX.
I don't even think your factory 3 speed auto can handle a high 13 second time... if you had enough power to get there with that kind of bad gearing, your auto would be slipping hardcore.

even with 12psi, aftermarket ECU, intercooler, and a 5-speed you won't be into the 13's. You'll need about 240whp to get in the low 14's with a 5-speed.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Über User

240whp for low 14's? ............ how much does this car freaking weigh? lol, my 260z was a low 14 second car with all stock everything just slightly higher compression. i think 250whp will be in the 13's. but i do agree the auto wont handle it.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
The Good Twin

14.4 @ 98mph was my best time & my motor was @ about 240hp... but I couldn't hook up worth ish. My 60' time looks horrible. I gotta get 1k miles on my Z pretty quick so I can get it back to the track this spring.... 13's or GTFO!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
my 260z was a low 14 second car with all stock everything just slightly higher compression. i think 250whp will be in the 13's. but i do agree the auto wont handle it.
Snwy... seriously. You never did run it at the track and get a slip nor did you take it to a dyno.... did you?

Are you just speculating on what you car could do?

Also, a 280ZX 2+2 turbo isn't light. 3100 pounds or so without a driver.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Über User

Originally Posted by Bleach
Snwy... seriously. You never did run it at the track and get a slip nor did you take it to a dyno.... did you?

Are you just speculating on what you car could do?

Also, a 280ZX 2+2 turbo isn't light. 3100 pounds or so without a driver.
didnt think it was THAT heavy, and no i didnt, but the buyer did!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:32 AM

wow didnt mean to start a debate and my car weighs 3100 lbs wow that heavy were is the weight at in the thing.

i got friend that is ready to a sbc in it when i blow this motor up so one or another she will run 12's lol
Old 03-24-2009, 11:43 AM

that brings another question how moded are some these cars i was under the impression with a fuel system tune some head work cams and a bigger turbo intercooled these things would play with 300 hp fairly well and go up to as much as 500 (was reading another site) i have to get this running to drive while a couple other projects get under way (V8 S10 and 26 T sedan) but when there off going i plan on pulling the head having sent to my friend at the machine shop to P&P it with in a inch of its life stud the block metal head gaskets and then turbo (this is about year off in the palnning right now just intercooler boost controller and a working turbo obvisuloy)

the goal is to lower the compression alllowing more boost. The tranny swap has already been talked about and i think a friend is pickung up from his slavage yard today for me and going to rebuild it into a industricatable version he is suposed to be getting tranny clutch pedal assmeble and master cylinder pedal assembly and any other small things needed off a car he has in his back forty.

but will the block hold high HP i didnt really want to mess with the lower end since comp was good on all cylinders but i figured i might have to i was going to resarch a bit more on that subject but since its been brought up in this thread what mods do i have to do there
Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 AM

i keep nothing stock by the way everyhting i own has future plan lol
Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ Yes yes... research. We have tons of threads about modifying the motor & increasing hp.

As I always say, read this:

then:

then:

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM

lol i have the second book never even opened the cover guess i should this is my first turbo car though everyhting has else has been v8's primarily i didnt event know about the first book i will ask the folks at barnes and nobels to get it for me
Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Über User

read the book!!!!!!! its amazing. lol
Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

i wish i could read... the GA board of ED cut reading classes out of the budget when i was in the 1st grade...
ill have to see if i can find that at books-a-million and look at the pretty pictures...

lol Corky Bell