280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greddy BOV diaphram

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM

Greddy BOV diaphram

I was wondering if anyone has run into this. So I finally got a manual boost adjuster. I got around to putting it in mon afternoon, hookd it up and took it for a test drive. 10lbs ran like a raped date, bad ***! pulled hard through all the gears, awesome, I got back to the house parked and she would barley idle. WTF, I'm thinkin I blew a head gasket or something crazy. Popped the hood and I'm hearing a vacume leak, I figure out its my BOV. stuck my hand over it (vented to atmosphere right now) and she idles up.
I pulled it off last night and took a good look at it, the diaphram had bunched up and has a little tear in it where it folds over between the valve and cap. I have a new diaphram and std sprind ordered, and the boost is back to stock for now. It was a ebay BOV but I have been running it for almost a year with NO problems. I'm going to chalk it up to age, I figured the higher boost pushed it over the edge. Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
The Good Twin

ebay Greddy BOV = knock off. Hopefully you didn't spend more than $30 for it.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Naw, its a genuine greddy R, the $270 one, I got it for $70 with shipping. It was a score, works great they have/had a great product. Until this happened. I was pokeing around last night and found somebody on a 240sx board that had the same problem with the diaphram bunching up(didnt say what the resolution to the problew was). I was thinking mabe the spring was getting weak and it hung open and the diaphram jammed up. Thats the only conclussion I can come to. My buddy was running the same one on his but swithed to the greddy S because he has 2" IC pipeing and couldnt recirculate it due to the massive size of the R. What are you running for a BOV Nismo? Anybody else? If this new diaphram jams I'm going to ditch the greddy R and try something else.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
The Good Twin

I used to run a DSM bov, then tried an aftermarket WRX one. Right now I'm using a Turbo XS RFL one:

I think I paid $35 on ebay... works good. If it fails... I'll buy some other kind.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Anally Challenged

Originally Posted by straight hate
I was wondering if anyone has run into this. So I finally got a manual boost adjuster. I got around to putting it in mon afternoon, hookd it up and took it for a test drive. 10lbs ran like a raped date, bad ***! pulled hard through all the gears, awesome, I got back to the house parked and she would barley idle. WTF, I'm thinkin I blew a head gasket or something crazy. Popped the hood and I'm hearing a vacume leak, I figure out its my BOV. stuck my hand over it (vented to atmosphere right now) and she idles up.
I pulled it off last night and took a good look at it, the diaphram had bunched up and has a little tear in it where it folds over between the valve and cap. I have a new diaphram and std sprind ordered, and the boost is back to stock for now. It was a ebay BOV but I have been running it for almost a year with NO problems. I'm going to chalk it up to age, I figured the higher boost pushed it over the edge. Any thoughts?
A new diaphragm and you'll be fine. The diaphragm is the difference between name BOV/recirc valves and the knockoffs.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM

You should look into Forge bov's. I am using one on my car and it works great. I've heard decent things about the greddy r but many mixed reviews on the rs. So instead of paying 180 bucks for an rs, i paid 130 for a forge twin piston and it works great. they are used on audi's and saab's primarily, but a bov is a bov. they all have the same function...some just suck compared to others lol
Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, parts should be in this week. I'll get it swaped out and try it again. I'll let you guys know how it pans out.