280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhuast work

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:43 PM

Exhuast work

OK this is a noob question, I want to get the MSA 6-3-2-1 headers for my Z. Do I have to remove the intake manifold to install them? Also I have a Monza Catback exhuast and stock piping all the way to the exhust manifold, and im thinking of just having a shop install the headers and instead of trying to get it to fit my stock Catless piping, to just straight pipe it. What size should i go with? Ok also i know this sounds ricey but currently i can hear my car backfire as it revs down but its all gurgled, if i straight pipe will the backfire become louder and maybe some visible flames (not shooting out, i mean just like lighting up the muffler btw my block and internals are stock)? thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 05:11 PM

No, you dont HAVE to remove the intake to do the header. But if you try to do it with the intake manifold still on then you'll probably end up in the mental ward before you ever get that header on. Take the intake manifold off and do it the easy way.

Yes, with a straight through exhaust that backfiring will get A LOT louder. Trust me...I've gone that route. People will be ducking off the side of the road. And when I was running straight pipe I didn't ever get any flames...sorry

as far as which size piping to go with... what mods do you have or do you plan to do other then the header.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
as far as which size piping to go with... what mods do you have or do you plan to do other then the header.
Well I got basically nothing but a cone filter lol. Any future mod will be just a new engine but thats a long way off. Should 2.5 inch be good? my motors N/A BTW.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:43 PM

2.5" is plenty.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:42 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Mine mainly backfires when it's cold. After he warms up, he smooths out. I have already fixed my exhaust leak. So I guess it is natural, the way my Z sounds now. And yes J is right on the manifolds. Take the intake off to put the header on first. You will be much saner LOL. I was going to try just doing the the exhaust, then put the header on, and realized trying to it by itself. Would have drove me to the looney bin.

All aside it sounds like you have a good plan, on what you want to do. Keep us updated on your progress. It is really not that bad to do it yourself. And it is a good learning experience. Good luck to you man, and keep us informed.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the info and interest guys Even tho I really wanted to do the header install myself I think ill have to have the shop do it along with the straight piping. Im gonna go with the 2.5 inch then and a RS*R universal muffler. Hhhhmmmmm Before I commit, should I even do the straight piping? What can I expect from the 2.5 inch piping? Is it worth the money? Will I lose torque but make more high end (along with headers!)? Sorry for the noobness guys!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 PM
The Good Twin

So if you straight pipe it... you won't have a cat... Does your car need to pass emissions? If so, make sure to install flanges for a test pipe / cat swap so you don't have to cut your exhaust next time.

Also... the only time you would shoot a flame out the tail pipe, is if you are running SUPER rich. If you're trying to be like the Fast & Furious... they have propane kits w/ ignitors to do those silly stunts.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

If you go the MSA header route and your Z is dropped at all, make sure to have the shop cut, shorten and re-weld the collector because you'll end up scraping on everything and cause exhuast leaks due to the header collector hanging so low. Trust me. Ive had so many problems with the MSA header because of that. Its worth it to take care of it before it even hits the road.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:05 AM
The Evil Twin

With a completely stock engine you'll hardly notice any increase in top end power but you certainly will loose some torque. I was going to suggest a 2.25" pipe. I got headers and a 2.5" and I would go 2.25" if I had it to do over again... well, actually I would not bother with headers. I would get a 2.25" pipe off the factory exhaust manifold and save my pennies for a turbo engine.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Ruff Ryder

wasnt there a guy on hybridz that was running a tuned megasquirt computer so that it would shoot 2' flame ***** out his exhaust?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 AM

One if you put a straight pipe on it wont sound "ricey"!!! i put a 3 to 2 header into a 2.5 inch pipe just to the diff, it was a differnt car! people in the car next to me said that there ears were ringing. (hahahaha)and the power at the top end was sick but the car was very slow at the low end, so off the line i was slow but half way throw first gear and i was gone. i say get a high flow cat, and a muffler from flowmasters and use a 2.5 inch pipe and you wil love the z even more!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:52 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

If you don't plan to do any serious engine mods, like a big cam and serious head work, I woul avoid the crazy exhaust. It'll move your torque curve so high into the rpm band that it'll feel like you actually lost power.

Stock manifold w/ a 2.25" mandrel exhaust is fine or 2.5" exhaust if it's crush bent.

If you need to pass emissions, get a good high flow cat or as suggested, get flanges welded onto your exhaust and a "test" pipe that fills the gap so you can swap the cat in for the emissions test and then remove it when it's done.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Big Poppa

my other car used to shoo just a small 3" flame out the exhaust right through the glass pack, and my silver car with 2.5" and the same 321 header is silly loud, if you do that, there WILL be cops following you and giving you inspection notices and costly tickets, maybe even impounding your car, unless your at the track, or going to a show (like me, in this case) dont do it, no straight pipes. and if its out the back it will be o.k in the cab, but put it out the side, and ouch, wear ear protection
Old 07-10-2006, 03:38 PM

Well I dont need to pass emissions, and cops have never bothered ever and Im currently cat less too with a monza exhuast. I planned to get some universal muffler not just swinging the pipe under the cab. BUt look, heres the deal guys i just need more power, i loved all the input i got but now im confused. DOnt bother with the headers at all and save my time and money and just straight pipe the manifold? Or just get the headers? I mean the stock manifold is a log for crying out loud, it looks so restrictive! Reason im being annoying about this is cuz i really dont have much money left as the car is currently in a shop getting a new roof and a bunch of other restoration done.