280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:53 PM

Exhaust Help!

I have a problem here. Back before winter I bought a 1979 280zx for 200 bucks.(Frame rails were good too) Unfortunatly, it didn't run at all. All winter long, I worked on it to get it running. About a week ago, I started it. My problem here is that the owner before me decided that the Z should be mufflerless, so he took an Oxy-acetelene torch to the pipe right before the axle, and cut the muffler off. It sounds amazing right now, but when I start it, it wakes the whole neighbourhood up, and I have people who complain to me about the sound it makes. I would like to do this as cheap and good as possible, so here is where your opinion/answers come into play:

1) Since he cut right after the axle, is it possible just to buy a different muffler and weld it up to the existing pipe?
2) If so, what muffler do you suggest for an unmoddified N/A?
3) If not, what should I buy/do?
4) What is the stock pipe diameter for a 79 N/A?
5) Keep in mind that I am on a slightly lower budget, so I don't really want to be buying a whole "Monza" exhaust kit, or have a shop custom make me one.

As usual, links are helpful.

Thanks for your opinons,

Derek
Old 04-15-2007, 09:58 PM
The Good Twin

Answer for 1-5...

Take it to a muffler shop & have them put on a new stock muffler w/ stock piping. That shouldn't cost more than $100.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Answer for 1-5...

Take it to a muffler shop & have them put on a new stock muffler w/ stock piping. That shouldn't cost more than $100.

I want a performance sound sort of though. I can also do anything I want myself in my Automotive classes. Nismo, I know that you have more knowledge than "take it to a shop", so please tell me some of it.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 PM

get one from MSA, there like 150.. or some where around there
Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Über User

well if yuor crafty you can buy any sort of muffler you want some exhuast clamps and pepboys/autozone etc. will carry pre bent exhaust pipe (or get a flexy type but tehy can sound wierd somtimes and dont look that great) and clamp yourself up some exhaust.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:13 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ yes yes!

Originally Posted by turboboost
I want a performance sound sort of though. I can also do anything I want myself in my Automotive classes.
Ah... good good. Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow, Bullet.... they are all good mufflers, but it's sometimes hard to find those w/ small 2" in & outs. If you have all the tools, just stop by a muffler shop & buy a performance muffler.... but DO NOT PUT ON A GHETTO RICE ROCKET WANNA BE HKS 42" MUFFLER.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:18 PM

but DO NOT PUT ON A GHETTO RICE ROCKET WANNA BE HKS 42" MUFFLER.
Why not?

That was a joke. I make fun of those kinds of people

After doing a little more research, I think that I'm going to go with flowmaster 40 series. The exhaust inlet it 2" and I can go whatever outlet I want as long as I make a tip to the end of my car. Correct?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:21 PM
The Good Twin

After doing a little more research, I think that I'm going to go with flowmaster 40 series. The exhaust inlet it 2" and I can go whatever outlet I want as long as I make a tip to the end of my car. Correct?
Woot Woot! Correcto.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Woot Woot! Correcto.
Thats all I needed to know. Thanks for the help everyone, especially you Nismo.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 04-15-2007, 10:38 PM
The Good Twin

Thats all I needed to know. Thanks for the help everyone, especially you Nismo.

Thanks,

Derek
I wish I could take all the credit... but it was actually my cat typing. I just sit back & tell him what to type.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:38 PM

What do you guys think of this unit?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Magnaflow-4x9-XL-...QQcmdZViewItem

Keep in mind that I don't want anything ricey sounding, and would love it to keep some of the growl it currently has.

Last edited by turboboost; 04-15-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 PM
The Good Twin

I wouldn't buy it.... looks like a knockoff. I believe Flowmaster / Magnaflow have their name stamped on one of the sides.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:47 PM

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=303

That's the exact same image on the magnaflow website. It's there cheapest universal muffler, but thats its only temporary unless it sounds good.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:50 PM
The Good Twin

Ah... right on right on.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Über User

HEY!!!! i want to put a canist muffler on, bastards, they flow good and sound good on anything under 8 cylinders. jerks.... lol, i want to use a name brand though, i was trying to find some invidia universal mufflers, but it proved harder than i thought.... its a pretty much strict JDM company but at teh same time i cant find JUST mufflers from them... so i will prolly have to turn my sights to something like apex-i or idk.... RS-R maybe.

but gawd damn i dont think they charge you for exhuast piping wehn you get a cat-back cause teh muffler's them selves range from 2-4 hundo
Old 04-16-2007, 07:16 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
HEY!!!! i want to put a canist muffler on, bastards, they flow good and sound good on anything under 8 cylinders. jerks.... lol, i want to use a name brand though, i was trying to find some invidia universal mufflers, but it proved harder than i thought.... its a pretty much strict JDM company but at teh same time i cant find JUST mufflers from them... so i will prolly have to turn my sights to something like apex-i or idk.... RS-R maybe.

but gawd damn i dont think they charge you for exhuast piping wehn you get a cat-back cause teh muffler's them selves range from 2-4 hundo

Pft.... ricer. Everytime I see those ricer mufflers I think of nismo619 with his wanna be HKS muffler wired up by a hanger.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 AM
The Evil Twin

I want a 2" inlet, 4" output muffler. Now that's high exhaust flow Gus would know
Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
Gus would know
Indeed! I've been reading car repair books to Gus before bed each night... soon he will be a mechanic kitty.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Externally Wastegated

Speaking of Nismo619, what happened to that guy? Usually he was posting at least 3 times a day in broken sentences. I kinda miss the chaos of trying to decipher what he was saying hahaha.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Über User

its either those or im running straight piping. lol.... and plus i would get this PROFESSIONALLY welded up so it would look nice, i saw a 240 wtih it done before and it was also mounted at an angle just like HKS does to, and it looked really nice, only the tip will show im not gonna boast the muffler lol.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:32 PM
The Evil Twin

on second thought, I want dual 4" tips
Old 04-16-2007, 05:02 PM

This may be too late but never weld on old pipe...ever. I would buy a Flowmaster Hushpower II ( They are long and shallow from top to bottom, ideal for low or lowered cars) and go to that muffler shop for new factory pipe. I would put the muffler where the cat is if you don't need the cat and run the rest to the back with a tasteful chrome tip to terminate the pipe with. And I'm Out!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by thxone
This may be too late but never weld on old pipe...ever. I would buy a Flowmaster Hushpower II ( They are long and shallow from top to bottom, ideal for low or lowered cars) and go to that muffler shop for new factory pipe. I would put the muffler where the cat is if you don't need the cat and run the rest to the back with a tasteful chrome tip to terminate the pipe with. And I'm Out!!
That is exactly what I just did today except with a 40 series flowmaster and MSA header. Sounds absolutely bitchin!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Über User

post up a sound clip give some ideas to people.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
post up a sound clip give some ideas to people.
I agree with you!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Help!