280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swaps.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 05:21 PM
NisTuner

Engine Swaps.

A friend and I were talking about doing engine swaps on the S30 and the S130 Zs. We got to thinking which would be the overall better engine. I know we've got the V8 as one of the best for flat out power and torque as being probably the cheapest swap as well, but I also wonder, would a 2JZ be better? If I'm not mistaken the 2JZ was an inline-6 right? It seems like those Supras could push unbelievable amounts of power, so with a lighter chassis designed to fit an inline-6, would a 2JZGETT be a good choice, could it push out more than a V8? It's just a thought, at least it'd be more true to the Z's if it's an inline 6.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:00 PM

I would personally go with an RB.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Doesn't post much...

I'm not getting into this debate again... no way.

Rod.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Ruff Ryder

i think there would be clearence issues between the radiator and the block.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:19 PM

A guy on www.hybridz.org has done it to a 240Z. Its a cool swap but requires a lot of work.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:08 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by KTM200-280zxt
I would personally go with an RB.

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I'm not getting into this debate again... no way.

Rod.

I second both of those.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Yeah a supra motor will work.. Here is my friends 2 cars here in Phoenix

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104662

http://www.geocities.com/clifton_ragland/Z.html
Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 PM

It's alright Rod. I can take the bashing Allow me to guide you from your misguided ways duowing.

The best engine (not neccesarily for the Z), Period would be to get yourself a V8. It'll make more power for cheaper and more reliably then any of the 4 or 6 cylinder engines. I'm not going to make the mistake of saying to put a V8 in your car. No way. If you want a turbo, then turbo the damn V8. It'll make far more power than a 2JZ or RB could ever dream of making. And if you're even condidering making this a street machine and actually being able to drive it then it's going to have to run off of pump gas. Something the RB and 2JZ's barely do anyways in stock form. And if you take those things too much over their stock power outputs then you can count on making your stops for gas at the airport

Now everybody regard those two motors as indestructible. Just not true. The RB is crap compared to the 2JZ too by the way. The only reason it's got the rep that it does is because A) Nissan didn't have anything better at the time. B) It came in their super car C) It never made it to this side of the Pacific.(we always want what we cant have) A testament to the fact the RB is not the end all of motors is the fact that Nissan tossed it from its Super GT (formerly JGTC) cars a while back cause they've got a better motor now).Oh sure it'll make a 1000 HP. For one run down the quarter. Maybe two if your lucky before it starts cracking between the cylinders. And that's on the N1 block. Sure the internals will handle 500HP (on race gas) but after that the block starts to give.

The 2JZ will reliably handle much higher levels than the RB will. It's a bigger and bulkier motor and it's stronger too. It' got more diplacement to begin with too. But again, the whole race gas thing comes into play. Again, don't hope to make a 1000HP to cruise around on the street with like you see in the magazines (those cars hit the road from the trailor to the show, and the drag cars have their engines built every couple of races. And the ones that do see street duty are detuned to do so). But the 2JZ will handle oodles of power.700-800HP reliably on the race gas is not a wet dream with a 2JZ.

But then there's the good ol' V8. Not only will it make rediculous amounts of power on PUMP GAS but it will produce far more power than either the 2JZ or RB. Slap on a couple of turbos and you're on your way to killing yourself By the time you need something other than pump gas on a 350 V8 you're already pushing enough power to take out pretty much anything on the street.

I don't care what anybody says. There is NO replacement for displacement. Some people argue that a turbo could make a smaller engine more powerful than a big displacement engine. Well slap a turbo on that big displacement engine and it's not such a good comparison is it? Plus you can't match the driveability that more displacement brings.

And of course I might as well address fuel consumption too. Just because a motor is smaller it doesn't mean you're going to get better fuel mileage than a larger motor would. The Skyline actually gets worse milage than a lot of V8 cars. The amount of fuel an engine consumes is directly related to how much fuel it needs to produce the amount of power desired. Let me put it this way. It takes a certain amount of air to produce a certain amount of power. Period. Doesn't matter how big or small your engine is. This number doesn't change based on displacement. It only changes based on how much power is being made (how much air is being sucked in). Now in order to turn that air into power you've gotta add fuel to it. Now air/fuel ratio's dont change based on displacement either. So how much air a motor takes in directly determines how much fuel it needs. A four cylinder taking in as much air as a 8 cylinder (making as much power)is going to use just as much fuel. (discrepencies here would be A/F ratios required by particular cylinder head designs).

And on one last note: I also don't want to hear that crap about "Oh I want a challenge" It's no easier to get power out of a V8 then a I6. It's just cheaper. You gotta figure the amount of work it takes to put a V8 into your Z is going to be just as much, if not more, work then coaxing an equal amount of power out of you L28. And if you consider the cost of acquiring and installing and making a decent V8 work then it's not exactly that much more cost effetive either, if at all.

I think I pretty much kept my nose clean there and I never once said to put a V8 into your Z

But hey, that's just my two cents Do as you please.