280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CT16 turbo too small ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:10 PM

CT16 turbo too small ... ?

Hey all,

I might be picking up a CT16 turbo from a friend of mine for probably $100. I want to use it on my Zed, but I'm unsure if it's the correct size for my application. From what I understand, the CT16 is a Toyota turbocharger, and two of them are run on the 2JZ-GTTE Supra engines.

My goal with this build is to use as much stock N/A hardware that I can, while still running 4psi of boost. Doesn't seem like much, but I'm sure there's lots to work with at that level. I'm aiming for quick spool and low-end punch, and I'm not worried about top-end [i.e. past 5000rpm].

I also want simplicity. What I'd ideally want to run is a rising-rate fuel pressure regulator with all stock N/A hardware. I figure that should all hold up well with 4psi. Like I said - simplicity.

I'm not looking for horsepower, just torque and low-end response. I don't plan on revving this engine and setup past 5200rpm and 4psi of boost, maybe even less.

Let me know what you think guys. Questions, comments, asinine figurative gestures, etc. are all welcomed.

-Dave-O
Old 09-29-2005, 10:16 PM

If you're goal is only 4psi and you're RPM limit stays modest then that should be plenty of turbo for you goals. If you ever plan on doing a lot of damage with that motor though you're going to want to upgrade above something like that. Just remember, the turbo may only be $100 but you still gotta make it fit and work with the motor. That's where the real expense comes in. But strictly from the stand point of will it work for the application you described, YES.

And I'm sorry, I don't have any asinine figurative gestures for you tonight. Maybe tomorrow night
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM

ROFL. Thanks J.

Here's the mounting deal ...

Since I want simplicity with this setup, I'm going to run the stock N/A manifold [I know, I know, burn me at the stake later]. What I plan to do is, make another flange that bolts up to the stock manifold [where it goes into 2-pipes and the O2 sensor is located at], and turn two pipes about 120-degrees upward, and merge them into one, with a custom flange for the CT16 exhaust housing. I'll then run the exhaust off the turbo outlet, and down as normal. Intake is as simple as routing the discharge into the AFM, and into the engine.

As for fuel demands, I'm going to simply install a Rising-Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator, and possibly a better pump, should demand for it arise. Nothing else. Simplicity.

As for ignition, I plan on retarding the timing. Manually. So it runs like **** off boost. I don't care - this setup will see about 80% of its duty cycle at WOT, and the rest idling. Not much in-between.

I don't plan to intercool it. If I do, it'll be a small side-mount unit from an FD3S [3rd Gen] Rx7. Exhaust will come straight off the turbo, and exit out the side of the car.

I don't think I'm missing anything. Let me know if it's otherwise. Thanks in advance guys.

-Dave-O
Old 09-29-2005, 10:46 PM

At 4psi an intercooler probably wont be neccessary, even with NA internals. But if you end up needing one then the one you suggested would do just fine. As far as the exhaust manifold setup you're talking about: with a smaller turbo you CAN get away with mounting the turbo a little further downstream than you can with a bigger one. But beware, the further you mount it, the more you're going to lose the quick spool benefit of the smaller turbo. As long as your "adaptor" pipe isn't too lengthy then you wont have a problem. And you're right on the timing thing. You're going to be running like **** off boost. But remember, you're not running much boost (but you are running NA internals) so adjust the timing to just where you need it to prevent detonation. That way drivability doesn't suffer.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 PM

I figure, as far as driveability off boost is concerned, I'll relate it to a turbo Z. It's got a 7.4:1[?] CR, and off boost they're gutless. Once the positive pressure hits, hold on. I'm really not concerned about driveability, since this car will only be registered to drive to track events, or the local canyon.

Thanks for the wishes, I'll probably need it.

-Dave-O
Old 09-30-2005, 07:15 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Dorifto
I figure, as far as driveability off boost is concerned, I'll relate it to a turbo Z. It's got a 7.4:1[?] CR, and off boost they're gutless. Once the positive pressure hits, hold on. I'm really not concerned about driveability, since this car will only be registered to drive to track events, or the local canyon.

Thanks for the wishes, I'll probably need it.

-Dave-O
My L28ET has 7.4:1 CR... at 4psi, I don't think I'd feel much of a diff. I have an electronic boost controller, and when I set it down to 6psi, I'm just not impressed.

what engine / z ya plannin this for? That 2+2 you were going to sell?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 AM

Yup Nismo. My 2+2. Bone stock, aside from no exhaust, massive weight reduction, and miscellaneous broken parts. Engine's the stock N/A L28E [P79 head, F54 block].

A concern that was pointed out to me on another forum I'm often at, is that there was somewhat of a contradiction in what I'm looking for. I'll just quote it ...
Originally Posted by Murphy @ WanganMidnight.com Forums
Sounds feasible. The one thing I'd be concerned about is that the turbine housing is very small for your engine. As you point out the spool will be very quick and high-rpm use will be limited. Which is fine except for the whole WOT use 80% of the time ... seems like contradictory requirements? I think you might be better off to find a T3 from a turbo Thunderbird/Cougar, or XR4Ti, or similar - cost should be the same or less, and you'd have a bit more breathing room.
As he points out, the turbo is incredibly small. His concern is that my "80% WOT use" is contradictory to using a small turbo for its quick-spool characteristics. My thinking on this, is that while yes, it may be at WOT, that could be anywhere along the rev range. Most of this builds' runtime will be spent WOT between 2500-4500rpm, with some give in both. I would imagine with such a small turbo, flow would be a problem, however, I'll assume that our engines don't require a hefty amount of air to run, and that down low in the rev range, boosting shouldn't be a problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:32 PM
The Good Twin

Any suggestions?
Sounds like a headache to me. My suggestion: get an L28ET engine & drop it in.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:52 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Nismo, you crack me up! If you don't want to do a full L28ET swap, I would get a T25 from an 86 to 89 Z31 Turbo.

Can't remember if the center section is water or oil cooled though...
Old 09-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Just get something that flows 42LBs or more
Old 09-30-2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Sounds like a headache to me. My suggestion: get an L28ET engine & drop it in.
Nismo, my good buddy ... if I can have yours, that'd be great. I'm just doing this for a learning experience, and budget boost.

I may end up getting a T3 or, if I don't do this soon, a 14B Mitsubishi turbo from a friend installing a 16G Evo III unit on his DSM. Either way, I'll probably lay off the CT16.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:14 AM
The Good Twin

Nismo, my good buddy ... if I can have yours, that'd be great. I'm just doing this for a learning experience, and budget boost.
sorry... wasn't trying to be an *** @ that moment

I do have a spare 280zxt 2+2 out back that I've been saving for an S30 swap one day. Dunno if that will happen, but if ya end up wanting an L28ET, lemme know.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:16 AM

At the very least, the manifold and turbo I'd buy off ya, but if the price is right, I'll take the whole shebang. I'm kind of **** about boosting the P79/F54 combo first, if ya "catch my drift" ...