280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Car Problem

I was drifting my car and it was running normally and i just went and parked it and it was still running just fine, but when i tried to start it 30 mins later it wouldnt start back up. It wants to start if i disconnect the fuel injectors, as in it will jump to 1k rpm then die. WHAT DO U THINK IS WRONG? Maybe my afm is going out? i dont know.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
The Good Twin

You were drifting? You have LSD on that car???

An engine needs 3 things to start:
-Fuel
-Spark
-Air

I'm pretty sure it's getting air (unless you sucked down some of your tire), so check for spark & fuel. You prolly knocked a sensor connection loose, so check the AFM & CHTS.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM

no i dont have lsd i was just spinning one i think. it was ghetto drift but ya i was doing it. Ok i know for sure i have spark air and fuel i checked it. but im not sure about if the afm is telling the comp how much air and fuel i need, it might not be working. as to the drift subject i am just going to make a lincoln locker rear end(weld it,haha) for now. But ill do that after i get it running again.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Externally Wastegated

Is this the same Z with the turbo injectors on an n/a motor? If so, check your spark plugs, they might have fouled out...
Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Über User

exactly what i was going to say ^^^^ sounds flooded.

that or you rattled a connection loose. so its always a good idea to go over all the EFI harness (specially AFM and TPS) connections and clean them out and re-connect them.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:38 PM

Well i thought and my ideAS where that it was getting to much fuel, i came to this conclusion because it wanted to start a few times when i disconnect the fuel injectors. so ith that in mind i decided that my fuel pressure reg. might be bad so i put a diff. one on from my turbo fuel rail that i had laying around. after i changed the fuel pres. reg. i cleaned up only the connection to the tps. after that it started right up. so then i went and drove it to my high school auto shop. and i got there and turned it off and it wouldnt start back up. so after awhile my teacher and i pulled all the spark plugs and cleaned them even the they looked fine. put them back in but it still didnt start back up. so i disconnected the tps to see if it would do the same thing....try to start with the fuel injectors unconnected. then it started running with just 3 injectors plugged in. weird! so i left the tps unplugged and connected all the injectors and it was running great. so i was going to back out to leave and im used to giiving it alot of gas to move(half-3/4) throttle and my tires actually spun! i was so suprised so i hit the brake and the rpm dropped to fast and it dyed and then wouldnt start back up again so i just left it there so we could test everything tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Über User

it should run like utter **** without the TPS connected. but uhhh, yeah. i think your engine is flooded. seriously, answer the question. are these the turbo injectors on this car???
Old 01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by teenbmxer
I was drifting my car
theres your problem.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Über User

HEY ^^^^ thats my joke for when people with an auto trans in a Z have something break on them and they go my z is a blahblahblah auto blahblahblah
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM

yes there are the turbo injectors. and it ran perfectly fine with them. i leaned the air fuel by the sir flow meter i turned the little screw on it. it runs great when it runs..... i think im going to check the chts connecton cause if i was trying to drift the battery could have slid and hit it i dunno.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Über User

CHTS was the only cause of my flooding, but my car was actually turbo with turbo injectors

is teh afm that adjustable GUYS that you can run turbo injectors on an NA stock car without flooding problems. cause i wouldnt think its that adjustable at all.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 PM

its not that adjustable but it isnt runing that rich. but seriously the do work and the car does run good with them. those arn't my problem with the car not running though. so u say the chts made your car flood as well? any way to test it? or do i need a new one? how would it make my car flood?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM

whts chts again?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 PM
The Good Twin

whts chts again?
Cylinder Head Temp Sensor. Where's your Haynes manual?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM

haha dont have one yet! hehe. thanks though! might solve my problems.....hopefully!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 PM

um.....i cant find any new chts for sale..... u think this wold make my car not want to start and flood?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 PM
The Good Twin

u think this wold make my car not want to start and flood?
If it's disconnected... otherwise it's your injectors we told you NOT to install.

Do you even have an a/f gauge hooked up?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

it was running fine with the injectors! ha. i used my teachers exhaust gas gauge thing which just told us what we already know,haha. but i leaned it pretty close to normal at idle. and the plugs are fine. so how would this sensor make my car flood?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Über User

yeah dude, just cause you got it to run by leaning it out doesnt mean it isnt slowly flooding it, specially at idle, all it will take is one shut down and then it wont start back up.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 PM

then how did i drive it everywhere the day before when i first got it running and it never did this.....hmmmm because its not the injectors. I drove it to the store and everything. But i think my best bet is to check the chts. cause i was drifting and my battery slides because it isnt strapped so more than lickly it hit the sensor. so thanks for that.

<big><b>PS ITS NOT THE INJECTORS! haha
Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 PM
The Good Twin

Hey everybody... I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT... NO ONE LISTEN TO ME PLEASE.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 PM

i could tell you rite now your not drifting, you might be powersliding alittle or just spinning your tires but your not drifting..
Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 PM

cause right after i drifted i went straight and parked it like only fifty feet away and i cant member if it was running rough when i parked it. i just cant member if my battery slid anywhere that time or not....but it probably did.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM

well i ment trying to drift....sorry
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Über User

what year is your Z btw?

and thezstore.com sells the CHTS new. but its like 40 bucks. not sure how to test it, i assume some sort of resistance reading is standard throguh it. but check the connector on it. clean it, re-bend it, make sure its fully plugged in. and maybe its not directly the injectors, but i doubt they were helping. shoulda just got NA injectors till you needed bigger ones. but whats done is done.

Quick Reply: Car Problem