280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of a Z with a 4-pin Ignition Switch?...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Anyone heard of a Z with a 4-pin Ignition Switch?...

So I am trying to get the Z started and its turning over normally then starts but as soon as I let the key return to "run"...the car dies. This happened consistently and, among other things I was checking, I noted that when the key was at the point in ignition switch that should be the RUN stage (i.e, lock - acc - on - RUN - start) there were no idiot lights on any longer, as in, there is a dead spot at RUN....the lights are there at the ON point.

So anyway, long story short. I replaced the switch with a new one thinking the other one was damaged. Problem, however, persisted. I then checked the harness plug for the switch and found it to be a 4 - pin plug. No connector for the pin that represents the RUN pin on the ignition switch. No wonder I was getting dead signal at that point.

So I have checked with the usual vendors and everyone seems to have only one ignition switch listed as replacement, I assume, being the 5-pin switch. They can not confirm as they do not have the part in hand.

So my question is out to everyone. Do you know of the existance of a 4-pin switch for the Z? Mine is a 78, presumably with its original harness. If so any ideas where to get one? what the part number may be? Anyone have access to a parts fiche?

Any help would be appreciated before I start digging for a fault. It might just be a missing wire from that harness plug....but I didn't see one loose and dangling anywhere.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Über User

hmmm, did the pin fall out? mine has 5 pins, 3 up one side 2 on the other side of it.... all the one i know of are like that to.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Yeah, let me clarify myself here...my current switch itself has 5 pins on it, exactly as snw said. Its the car's switch harness plug itself that has only 4 connectors, that those switch pins go into.

So ultimately, there aren't enough harness plug connectors that match up to all the pins in the switch.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM

So seems like the 78 280Z actually had a 4 - pin ignition switch.

http://www.hammondsplains.com/newtec...80z_wiring.pdf

For those of us that need it, The link above has the wiring diagram for the 78 280Z. The ignition switch is shown as a 4 - pin hook up. (circuit drawing to be found along the bottom edge approximately halfway across the diagram).

I guess now I have to find a 4 - pin switch so I can start it.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Über User

thats interesting, sooo is your harness connector laid out the way in teh diagram? did you ever change teh ignition before it ran? just because its a 5 pin ignition but the 4 pin harness doesnt mean thats the problem.... if the wire is in teh right place when the key is at that spot thats all that matters, you might just have to move a wire.... its technically just a way to bridge teh power nothing special about it....
Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 PM

snw...thats exactly what my thought process was...and I did try to "bridge" the connection but nada luck so far.

As I mentioned in the first thread, there is no connector within the harness for the "RUN" pin and thats why there is a dead spot in the ignition process at that stage. The car starts but turns off as soon as I let the key go back from the start stage to the run stage.

Basically, as far as I can tell thus far, I need a 4 - pin switch.

In the meantime, I will just have to invest a bit more time before I can make an improvised connection work for me. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Big Poppa

you know i am kinda a wiring guru, i bet there is a way to make it work, you either need power to it, ground, or power leaving it. just need to splice into the harness and take the correct power to make it work, or pay 250 bux from abbotsford nissan and get the all new lock set.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Über User

well, for kicks, you should toss up a pic of YOUR plug and back of ignition.... this interests me
Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 PM

am i the only one that picked up on this being an S30 issue in the S130 section?
No this post wasnt helpful, but I'm sure havin an S30 owner that may have had to rewire to accomodate a a 5-prong ign. sw. actually read this thread could be
Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 AM
From NY to AZ

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
am i the only one that picked up on this being an S30 issue in the S130 section?
No this post wasnt helpful, but I'm sure havin an S30 owner that may have had to rewire to accomodate a a 5-prong ign. sw. actually read this thread could be
Don't you have an S30 now too?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 AM

If this is a 280z, did anyone check the microswitch in the air flow meter?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 PM

Ok gentlemen,

As per snw's request, below are the pics I just took....

As you can see that the ignition switch has 5 pins as are usual...I have two others exactly alike, one that I had from before and another that I bought because I thought both of the older ones may be at fault.

Here is the ignition harness plug, showing 4 connectors, two plug holes, or whatever they are called, are empty.

Here is the harness plug in relation to the overall wires under the dash. Note that the wires going into the plug are the same colours as those mentioned on the 78 280Z wiring diagram, the link is below.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/w...80Z_wiring.gif

Shady, I think the splice connection may end up being my only option as most salespeople I talk to think I am nuts. I am now second guessing myself even though a wiring diagram from a reliable source - AtlanticZ - confirms the existence of a 4 pin harness plug. i.e, in the absence of a 4 - pin switch...thats the closest I can come to a conclusion. Maybe I can rig up a push button ignition with a password protected keypad, much like this other guy on Hybridz. click the link below

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...esworthy/240Z/

...and J, I posted the thread on the S130 forums because I know you guys and you guys are always helpful...so that explains that...

Now for the last but not the least..."micro switch" on the AFM, huh? a little more of an explanation please...I have seen snw mention it before in another thread and it may be applicable if the fault is not with the ignition switch but I dont know what the conenction to be made here is with the missing wire in the harness plug?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Über User

hmmm, when i mentiont eh AFM problem (idk if this is the micro switch i explian) it basically if the connection is bad or the AFM isnt hooked up somethign wrong in it blah blah blah, the fuel pump wont turn on, that will be for start up as well though i do believe.... i basically only mention it when people say my fuel pump wont turn on and stuff.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
hmmm, when i mentiont eh AFM problem (idk if this is the micro switch i explian) it basically if the connection is bad or the AFM isnt hooked up somethign wrong in it blah blah blah, the fuel pump wont turn on, that will be for start up as well though i do believe.... i basically only mention it when people say my fuel pump wont turn on and stuff.
Yeah snw, it may have been something like that...but thats the point. It can be applicable with other faults but I dont exactly see the connection here. May be another thread altogether...we'll see I guess.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM

So are you sure your original ignition sw. was the problem to begin with? This could be a wiring issue and not the fault of the sw. itself.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:02 AM

If the microswitch in the airflow meter is bad, the car will start and shut off soon after you release the key.

I've seen hundreds of them in the last 19 years of Z car service.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Big Poppa

its like fitting a square peg in a round hole, if the harness has 4 pins, the switch aint gonna work. something tells me its the wrong switch, are the older switches 4 pin? ill check me old 75 truck and see how many pins it has, then we can test with that.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by PooFlinginMonke
If the microswitch in the airflow meter is bad, the car will start and shut off soon after you release the key.

I've seen hundreds of them in the last 19 years of Z car service.
Ok, then that might be worth checking as well. Although the AFM is a brand new one, but there is still room for a fault with the micro switch.

I assume by not addressing the ignition switch as a fault, you are saying that there is no 4 - pin ignition switch in Z-cars, more specifically a 78 280Z. Considering your years of expereince with the Z cars, what are your thoughts on the wiring diagram that shows a 4 wire harness plug?

Originally Posted by SHADY280
its like fitting a square peg in a round hole, if the harness has 4 pins, the switch aint gonna work. something tells me its the wrong switch, are the older switches 4 pin? ill check me old 75 truck and see how many pins it has, then we can test with that.

I agree Shady! what I am attempting to figure out if my 78 Z needs to have a 4 - pin switch. So if you want to check then its all good with me. Coincidentally, have you looked at the wiring diagram for the 78 Z? I posted the link earlier within this thread. The ignition switch is depicted on the bottom of the diagram, about halfway in the middle. Its super small initially when you open it up, but will magnify a particular area, if you click on it. Thanks dude.

By the way, Nice car! now that I finally got to see it for myself. You truly are a wiring guru!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 AM

I'll check my 1978 wiring diagram.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Here, save yourself some trouble and get the correct ignition switch, page 70, upper left corner of the Black Dragon Automotive Catalog, Thats part #71-680 price $109.95 ......here is a pic:

Old 06-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Über User

well... in there they list teh ignition 70-78 the same... soooo does that tell you something? and i asked my dad today, he doesnt remmeber on his Z but he said he pulled a 5 pn ignition off a 78Z from teh junk yard a couple weeks ago. sooooo... idk gravey
Old 06-21-2007, 10:35 PM

thxone, thanks, although I know black dragon has those parts for sale and actually the part I would need is listed at $19.99 being just the electrical switch. I dont need the whole ignition. The problem is that they dont specify if they have a 4-pin switch or not. I called them and the order person, however very polite and cordial did not have the answer either.
They only take the part orders and do not have the parts there to confirm anything....but thanks anyway...

snw...thanks for checking with your dad, dude....

now, I dont know about anyone else, but lets just let this thread die...its dying already, but it real slow and painful! I have had it with this damn switch issue. I am fully planning on going with a keypad ignition. I'll let you all know what ever my research turns up.

Thanks muchly to all who cared!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Big Poppa

dude call mike boles (dr. z) hes gotta have a switch that will fit directly in.