280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another turbo help post

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:34 PM

another turbo help post

ok I am gonna be turboing my n/a car. I have a turbo manifold and computer. What I need to know other than making an up pipe, intake, and exhaust what I need.
mainly I want to know if I can use the n/a mas air flow sensor, and wiring harnes. I am guessing I will need to lower compression ratio? and I would like to know how much boost I can safely run with stock internals.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by mattduskater; 04-21-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:52 AM

well i dont that well but i think that you are going to beable to use the na mas air but you willl not beablezto use the computer with out the harness and you will have tohave to replace the map sensor and some other but and depending on what psi that you are going to go to you really dont need lower ratio they are only 8.and some and the trubo are only a litte less and all a trubo is doing is making you compression up so if you are all ready have more compessin that is just that much more power before the trubo hits and less psi so less chance of datination but still just as much as a trubo and boost i have no idea
Old 04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
The Evil Twin

You'll be fine on stock boost with the stock compression. The question is, what year car do you have? There were two types of NA engines in the 280ZX. The older ones 79-80 suck! Open chamber will ping like crazy.... or at least be more prone to pinging.

You need the turbo injectors, wiring harness for the injectors, turbo ECU, turbo AFM, and the best bet is to use the 1982-83 turbo distributor because the crank angle sensor is built into that.

Plumb it all in and keep the boost down to 7-8psi.

What are your goals with horsepower in building this engine? 200? 240? 400?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:07 PM

Hey guys ... I don't mean to hijack the post, but I was brainstorming on this topic after watching a couple movies of L28ET-powered 280Zs and S.S.Thagard's 240ZTT. After much arguing with myself and trying oh so very hard to stay N/A with this engine, I've finally caved in and want boost. Badly.

So here's what I have ...
-1981 L28E [F54 block, P79 head] - stock engine
-stock Nissan 5-speed transmission (not a T5)

Here's what I think I need, and want to run ...
-Electromotive Tec-IIIR or Haltech E6X management, possibly MegaSquirt?
-twin Garrett TD05 internally-gated turbos from DSMs (Eclipse/Talon/Laser)
-custom-fabricated exhaust manifold(s)
-custom-fabricated intake manifold, possibly ITB?
-port and polish, 3-angle valve grind
-remove ALL emissions equimpent, vacuum switches, etc.
-large FMIC
-ceramic coating, cryo-treating(?)
-Stage II or III MSA turbo cam
-adequate ignition system (hi-po coil packs, hi-perf wires and plugs, etc.)
-adequate fuel system (Walbro 255 pump, 550-600cc injectors, FPR)
-big-*** 3" exhaust, no cats, mufflers, or resonators
-possibility of 3100cc stroker(?)
-heavy-duty clutch, throwout bearing, and pressure plate
-lightweight flywheel

Goals ...
-eliminate the MAF sensor by switching to MAP sensor(s)
-a cleanly laid-out, well-executed system
-the ability to tune and adjust on the go - IE. in the staging lanes between runs or at a rest-stop
-minimum 300tq (ft. lbs.), aiming for 350tq.
-solid, wide powerband - IE. from 2500 to redline
-low-revving, torque monster (redline around 6000rpm)

My main concerns ...
-Is it relatively tangible to get 350tq. on 12-14psi without "severe" mods?
-Will the stock Nissan 5-speed handle that amount of power? Or would I be better off swapping a T5 in?
-Will the stock 2+2 R200 diff, driveshaft, and half-shafts hold that power?
-do I need to fabricate the exhaust manifolds, or does someone offer a manifold with T3 flanges?

Now, let me explain. I don't want to run the stock intake manifold - I'd want a much cleaner piece versus a plugged and shaved stock unit - also I would like to run individual throttle bodies, at least more than one. The only accessories being run will be power-steering pump, alternator, and possibly A/C (VintageAir system?). I am confident the P79 and flat-top pistons are capable of handling 300-350tq. with cryo-treating and ceramic coating. I am not too concerned about meeting my power demands if I must exceed 12-14psi, I don't want to NEED 115-octane fuel. If you haven't noticed, I'm not concerned with horsepower, I want torque from this engine.

Apologies for the long post ... let me know if I'm overlooking anything.
Thanks in advance,
-Dave-O
Old 04-26-2005, 03:35 PM

Dorifto,
Sounds pretty serious. Don't forget to add turbo timer and oil cooler to your list of goodies. Judging from your list you'll be doing some serious driving, and these two are must if you don't want to cook your oil and fry your turbo.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:39 PM

why not modify your z to go with an sr20det engine.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:54 PM

Well, I'm a purist of sorts. And I'd just like to be able to stretch the limits of the L28. Once the L blows, an RB25 should make its new home in my engine bay.

The turbo timer and oil cooler are givens ... can't believe I didn't list them.

My Zed will be built to perform on the freeway at high speeds - not to mention showcase the work my shop can do. Also there's a good possibility I'll run the Silver State Challenge RoadRally with her. I'm aiming for a broad powerband, good speed, and beautiful high-speed handling. Since I have the longer wheelbase 2+2, I figure it's a great platform to start with.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:58 AM

so do you have to get a whole computer for the fuel injection. Couldn't you use a piggy back system from apexi or something?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:32 PM

Be prepared to spen a whole lot of change for a setup like that. It will cost you around 3k for the ITB setup alone. If you are looking for around 350 ft-lbs of torque, it can be done with the stock t3.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103145