280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another n.a. turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 01:14 PM

another n.a. turbo question

ok help me out here this is not for me but for my cousin

he want's to put a turbo on his 280zx
he has the exhaust, a 300z turbo, an intercooler ...bigger then the one that comes on the 200sx (ca18)...and a blowoff valve

can it work on his stock engine with stock injectors, computer???
maybe with an fuel pressure regulator???

I know a thicker gasket will help too to lower compresion....

he told me that the laurel comes with hollow head and pistons....what if he uses the laurel head on his car???

what about 300z or 300z turbo injectors???

Thankx

Last edited by Arubazx; 09-29-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:33 PM
The Evil Twin

I'm guessing you're from a different country where the turbo Z is hard to find.

I don't know what the Laurel is; maybe its like our Nissan Maxima. Hollow head probably is the term we use for open chambered. In our Z-cars, the open chambered heads were actually fewer cc so the compression would be increased. The combustion chamber of open heads is not what you want anyway. What you want is dished pistons from an older 280ZX block with the head you have right now. (although I don't actually know what year your cousin's Z is)
The stock computer will be the worst thing for you. If you upgrade the computer to a turbo computer then your injectors will be outdone at high rpm. If you swap injectors from a 300ZX turbo then it will run too rich at lower rpms using the NA computer. Swap to a 280ZX turbo computer, 300ZX turbo injectors, and a 280zx turbo fuel pressure regulator if you can.

If you end up using all the NA components, you can run the turbo with a thick headgasket but keep the boost at 5psi or so. The intercooler will help. Still, this is pretty experimental. You still might blow something.

Don't forget to hook up the turbo cooling system. The 300ZX sometimes came with water cooled turbos. Those are better than oil cooled.

If you adjust the air flow meter to run slightly rich, the maybe the engine can take a few more psi of pressure. Keep in mind that you'll run more rich at idle when the boost is off.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the reply but I got a few more questions...

he's got an 83zx so you say this is the head will go good with dished pistons

you're right here there are plenty of zx parts but only 1 turbo zx ...which now the engine was sold to be swapped with the skyline engine...

now can the na computer be reprogrammed for an turbo application ? in the US....or just get an turbo computer( I am guessing that the wiring harnass should be replaced also???)

how much difference would 5 psi boost be in the 1/4 time

Thanx
Old 09-30-2004, 08:00 AM
The Evil Twin

5psi wouldn't do much for you. You could more safely build an NA engine that will put out more power than a stock turbo running 5psi.

You should build a stand-alone fuel injection computer system. Megasquirt will do it for you. That way you can run any amount of boost on your engine.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

I have never heard of anyone reprograming the computers. They are very old and maybe too simple to be programed. I'm also not sure on the wiring harness differences. I guess there would be, but you might get lucky and be able to use the NA wiring.