280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 280ZX Exhaust Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM

82 280ZX Exhaust Recommendation

Hi,

I have searched the forums and it looks like the best alternative for an exhaust replacement is to go with a Magnaflow system.

Magnaflow doesn't show anything as to what fits on a 82 280ZX. As a result, my local magnaflow dealer isn't sure what to recommend as they haven't done any 280ZX before. Could I get a recommendation on what would work/look best? Also, they don't only have the mandral piping I have read about.

Help is definitely appreciated.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by audio2addict
Hi,

I have searched the forums and it looks like the best alternative for an exhaust replacement is to go with a Magnaflow system.

Magnaflow doesn't show anything as to what fits on a 82 280ZX. As a result, my local magnaflow dealer isn't sure what to recommend as they haven't done any 280ZX before. Could I get a recommendation on what would work/look best? Also, they don't only have the mandral piping I have read about.

Help is definitely appreciated.
all they have to do is go out and get an idea of what dimension muffler they can get in there, then they just call up w/e company and see if they have one that size (mine happened to be a magnaflow)
Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM
i felld offa mai trike

Cherry Bomb FTW! lol

OT: just get a universal muffler similar in dimension (prefferably smaller though) to the stock muffler and have it either welded to the stock exhaust (but you won't see any power gains at all) or have a custom 2.5" (if you're NA) or 3" (if you're turbo) exhaust fabbed/bent up
Old 09-10-2009, 06:46 PM
eff good grammar

i would go with a bit bigger pipe and a turbo muffler for any application....

not an "angry bees in a can" turbo muffler but a real one (in & out, no baffles)
Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 PM

A kit I came across at The Z Store was the MSA premium exhaust system which has 2.5 inch pipes with a super turbo dynamax muffler.

I would like something better than the chrome tip but I am not sure.

Another thought is to see if you could switch out the Dynamax Super Turbo for the Borla they sell separately:

I am not sure it would be worth it though.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 PM

here is the one i got . sounds great

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8069
Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
i would go with a bit bigger pipe and a turbo muffler for any application....

not an "angry bees in a can" turbo muffler but a real one (in & out, no baffles)
bigger isnt better on an N/A, you need some back pressure. On a turbo car the turbo itself provides back pressure. a 3in exhaust with a turbo muffler on an L28e will hurt performance before you ever gain anything. 2.5 is a nice size for an N/A with a baffled muffler
Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by audio2addict
I would like something better than the chrome tip but I am not sure.
just cut it off
Old 09-11-2009, 07:04 AM

^^^that's what I did....in front of the diff...I've got 2 1/2 to a flowmaster where the cat used to be....sounds good imo
Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 AM
The Evil Twin

If your non turbo engine is mostly stock anyway (stock cam, ECU, compression, factory exhaust manifold) then 2 1/4 inch would be plenty as well and slightly quieter.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM

no gain?

It seems the consensus is that no significant power gains can come from a better exhaust, is this mereley a different muffler, or what? I was planning on getting pacesetter headers and a high-flow cat, all 2.5 inch piping, are these worthwhile investments, or am I simply just blowing $500 down the pooper ?

(For a 1981 280ZX NA)
Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

your not blowing it away. if your worried about power gains then you looking into the wrong things to begin with.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM

i got a 81 280zxna , now that it has been repainted undercoated and refurbished inside, im looking into making it sound nicer as she goes...would pacesetter headers and either a 2-1/4 or 2-half pipe all the way with just muffler be alright or would it hurt the motor? i also dont want it to sound like a pos...anyone got any good ideas or usefull information on my concern?

any help at all is greatly appreciated....thanks!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bleach
If your non turbo engine is mostly stock anyway (stock cam, ECU, compression, factory exhaust manifold) then 2 1/4 inch would be plenty as well and slightly quieter.
I have an 82 that had the head shaved so its a bit louder and want the factory sound, would a header and a 2.5 make it louder? I keep seeing 2.5" on all the z parts sites but am unsure.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You'll want a header and new exhaust for better performance. I recomend the MSA ceramic coated header and exhaust system. You can add a resonator to the setup to reduce the exhaust note.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
You'll want a header and new exhaust for better performance. I recomend the MSA ceramic coated header and exhaust system. You can add a resonator to the setup to reduce the exhaust note.
Thanks , would you go with a 2.25" or a 2.5"?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by skib
bigger isnt better on an N/A, you need some back pressure. On a turbo car the turbo itself provides back pressure. a 3in exhaust with a turbo muffler on an L28e will hurt performance before you ever gain anything. 2.5 is a nice size for an N/A with a baffled muffler
you dont actually need that backpressure. when you allow your engine to more efficiently remove the spent gasses, it will pull more air into your intake, causing your engine to run lean, which can damage your valves if not corrected.

therefore, with a header/exhaust upgrade, you should get an ecu which can allow you to control the mixture ratio, or depending on the richness, you can correct some of this by adjusting your afm to allow your engine to run richer.

backpressure actually holds your performance back. the more air and fuel you can shove into/out of the engine, the more power you can get. however, you need to keep in mind that when you change one thing in your engine, you must take into account how it will affect your other systems.

one more thing to take into account-mandrel bent headers are fantastic, as they allow for faster exhaust velocity. faster exhaust velocity is good because it will actually pull the exhaust out clearing the way for the clean air. too large of diameter tubing can cause your exhaust velocity to decrease, which is why we dont cram 4 inch tubing on everything in sight.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 AM

Wow I feel dumb... bought a cheap cherry bomb in 2 1/4"..... for my N/A... guess I need to go back and get the 2.5".... oops. *face palm*
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ No, take it back and get a refund. Cherry bombs are for 1950's and 1960's American V8's. Plus, throwing on a 2.5" muffler isn't increasing the size of the entire exhaust from the manifold back.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by ZZzzz
you dont actually need that backpressure. when you allow your engine to more efficiently remove the spent gasses, it will pull more air into your intake, causing your engine to run lean, which can damage your valves if not corrected.

therefore, with a header/exhaust upgrade, you should get an ecu which can allow you to control the mixture ratio, or depending on the richness, you can correct some of this by adjusting your afm to allow your engine to run richer.

backpressure actually holds your performance back. the more air and fuel you can shove into/out of the engine, the more power you can get. however, you need to keep in mind that when you change one thing in your engine, you must take into account how it will affect your other systems.

one more thing to take into account-mandrel bent headers are fantastic, as they allow for faster exhaust velocity. faster exhaust velocity is good because it will actually pull the exhaust out clearing the way for the clean air. too large of diameter tubing can cause your exhaust velocity to decrease, which is why we dont cram 4 inch tubing on everything in sight.
Pulling more air into the intake will not damage the engine. The engine meters the air by either the primative AFM that our car uses (eg moves the flapper up further giving a higher voltage reading to the ECU) or a MAF (heated wire) or a MAP sensor like modern ECUs use. That sensor tells the ECU the car is drawing in more air and adjusts the fuel accordingly.

NA and turbo are two completely different beasts. On an NA car you want it to be tuned to the pulses coming off the engine. A header will help to keep the pulses in sync (eg they are all the same length). These pulses on a tuned exhaust system will actually help draw the next exhaust pulse out by creating a low pressure area behind the pulse for the next pulse following it to move more easily behind. This also helps increase the velocity of the exhaust moving out. More velocity mean more performance since your engine is essentially an air pump and the more air you can move into and out of the engine the more power it will make. Also by keeping the air as hot as possible will help keep it's velocity higher which is one reason wrapping or coating your header helps performance (and reduces engine bay temps).

On a turbo the exhaust powers the turbo with it's thermal energy. Keeping the heat in the exhaust will give you more energy for the turbo making it spool faster and allow you to make more power. The turbo works on a pressure differential so very hot gases on one side increases the presure and a very open exhaust (actually a short horn off the turbo makes the most power but obviously doesn't work for a street car application) gives the greatest differential.

For a turbo you actually want as large an exhaust as you can get under the car unlike an NA which needs a tuned exhaust for optimal scavenging. 2.25" or 2.5" will be forever debated with the NA guys - just get the MSA exhaust for your NA and a good header preferably coated or wrapped. Usually all you can stuff under the S130 is a 3" which is a good system. I know Yasin is running a 3.5" - impresive!