280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 280zx

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 AM

79 280zx

I bought this car about two years ago I drove it a handful of times it would randomly shut off going down the high way but start right after just turn the key off and back on and it would fire right back up. Now it acts like it is cutting out really bad won't hardly rev up no power. I put all new injectors and fuel pump. Thanks for reading and racking the brain.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Start with a check over of all wiring connections in the engine bay... battery terminals, fusible links, sensors, coil, spark plug wires, grounds, etc. Also check ignition switch.

And when you say "shuts off", do you mean no power at all, or that the engine dies and all the dash lights come on?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM

I still have power the motor dies though I can pull over and turn it over by he starter or I can turn the switch to off with foot on clutch and turn it back to on and it starts right back up.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Yea the dash lights come on but they all light up randomly it doesn't even have to die for the dash lights to come on.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
The Good Twin

What does your volt gauge do when this happens?
I'd say it's likely the ignition switch... but could also be a loose ground or dying alternator.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM

When I rev it up it says it has more voltage but, it is not good I know cause I un hooked the battery when It was running and it died but I thought if I had a good charge it would run till the battery died.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Smith
When I rev it up it says it has more voltage but, it is not good I know cause I un hooked the battery when It was running and it died but I thought if I had a good charge it would run till the battery died.
When you "unhooked the battery when (engine) was running" what did you disconnect and where?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:10 AM

The motor hooks to the battery with by the terminal, I un hooked positive and negative and got the same response each time. I jiggled the wiring harness to see if it would make a change in the way it was running, it didn't. Is there any way to tell if it's the ignition, I was also thinking maybe the brain was giving me wrong signals. Think you for the input guys