280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 280zx timing and/or pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
My POS parts car with the 3.1L stroker had an issue with the signal lights not working. Turns out the hazzard switch was duff. Replaced the switch and signal lights work fine now
I have the exact opposite problem. The turn signal lights work just fine, but the hazard switch doesn't flash them. It still draws power, though. Found this out the hard way by accidentally leaving the hazards in the on position and completely draining the battery overnight.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

So they turn on but don't flash? Did you check the flasher relay?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 AM

So they turn on but don't flash? Did you check the flasher relay?
That sounds right. Sorry, I am really new to car repair, by relay, do you mean like the fuel pump relay under the hood? Or do you mean where the switch connects to the other wires near the steering column?

the connection near the steering column did not seem corroded or burn when I checked it.

Last edited by jaromgi; 08-13-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM

UPDATE - I picked up the better gas tank on Thursday. On Friday, I removed the old one, and replaced a couple of the gas lines while I was in there. I set up an air compressor and blew air through the lines to expel any rust or bad fuel that might have been lurking in there. Hooked everything back up and once the air had worked out of the system, the car worked like a charm! I've driven it around town a couple times, and haven't had any issues at all! There are other issues that will need to be addressed (like the flashers not working, and the AC being stuck on blowing on my feet), but it is in driving condition! Thanks everybody for your help and input so far.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 PM
The Good Twin

Nice! Glad to hear!

Originally Posted by jaromgi
That sounds right. Sorry, I am really new to car repair, by relay, do you mean like the fuel pump relay under the hood? Or do you mean where the switch connects to the other wires near the steering column?
There are 2 round relays on the steering column above the pedals... one for the turn signals, one for the hazards. That relay could be blown.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Nice! Glad to hear!
There are 2 round relays on the steering column above the pedals... one for the turn signals, one for the hazards. That relay could be blown.
Is that part # 520-P7100? I am having trouble seeing from the site nissanpartszone.com if that is the right piece or not.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:34 AM
The Good Twin

#5 on the lower fig.

Name:  HM203.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  108.4 KB
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 AM

#5 on the lower fig.

Thanks! I just don't know where to get the part. I found I in the FSM and Haynes manual, but don't know what the replacement part # is.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 AM
The Good Twin

Flasher relay at AutoZone: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...=6416_0_11714_
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM

NismoPick once again proves himself to be the man. I'll pick one up tomorrow and see if that works!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM
The Good Twin

Pull the old one first & take it w/ you.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Pull the old one first & take it w/ you.
Always do this no matter what your part! I have found out the hard way that the digitizing of the cross reference books isn't the greatest. If it wasn't for ICICE9, I'd still be stuck with a new clutch and a throwout bearing that is too short.

I actually kind of miss walking into a parts store and seeing hundreds of parts reference books on the counter... I'm old school that way.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:05 PM

I will hopefully be swapping out the relays tonight.

As far as the a/c, I did a little searching of the forum, and I am wondering if the a/c vent problem be due to what is mentioned here: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/c-cuts-out-33074/ ?

any ideas? it always blows on my feet, whether the car is in gear or not, but it is at least cold air.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM

Went to swap the relay and . . . There wasn't one on the car! I found the turn signal relay, as well as the physical space where the flasher relay is supposed to go, but there was no relay there. I went ahead and got the part from autozone, but when I went to install it I also could not find the wires that matched the part. Any suggestions?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 PM
The Good Twin

any ideas? it always blows on my feet, whether the car is in gear or not, but it is at least cold air.
Congrats on a working a/c. As for the vents, there is likely a leak in one of the vacuum lines, usually the one from the vacuum canister through the firewall. The easiest way to check is to hook that line right to the intake manifold & test the vents at idle (or just suck on the open end).

Went to swap the relay and . . . There wasn't one on the car! I found the turn signal relay, as well as the physical space where the flasher relay is supposed to go, but there was no relay there. I went ahead and got the part from autozone, but when I went to install it I also could not find the wires that matched the part. Any suggestions?
Hum... I imagine the plug has dropped... keep looking?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM

No prob... glad I could help.

You might want to re-look at that CHTS (cylinder head temp sensor) plug between spark plugs 5 & 6. If that resistor is just shoved in there, try taking it out & reconnecting it to the sensor.
So, more fun with the car! I did exactly this, and the car just didn't want to turn on. When I finally got it on, it would idle around 500 RPM, and then die. I am guessing the CHTS died and it will need to be replaced. With just the resister in there, however, it idles at about 1500 RPM, so it is a waste of gas.

Just to make sure: this is the same part, right?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/11-3455

I couldn't find it on the autozone website. Or the oreilly website.

Also, yesterday, I went to go start the car, and the clutch system was all messed up. Even when I had the pedal pushed all the way in, the clutch was still partially engaged. I used the search feature (hooray) and I think I have a leaky master cylinder. Topped of the cylinder with new brake fluid, but the next morning there was a puddle near the clutch pedal, and residue leaking down. I got a new master cylinder, and will be replacing it tomorrow.

On an unrelated note: I think I will post some pics tonight.

Last edited by jaromgi; 08-19-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

Mine doesn't have it because its a '79, but I believe the chts is the same as the temp sensor for the radiator.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by evandubya
Mine doesn't have it because its a '79, but I believe the chts is the same as the temp sensor for the radiator.
Thanks! They looked the same, and I was able to find that one on autozone.com, but I wasn't sure if they were actually the same thing.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Sorry about poor image quality

Name:  UZ9hll.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  61.5 KB

under the hood

Name:  KJ3YVl.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  73.6 KB

mystery wire that has been cut by ... gnomes?

Name:  vIYY8l.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  32.8 KB

the mystery wire leads to this:

Name:  raptc.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  80.2 KB
Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Sorry about poor image quality

the mystery wire leads to this:

Lol - that would be your starter solenoid. On my '83 280ZXT the previous owner had hooked the starter up to a pull switch to bypass the ignition switch... sigh....
Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

Nice Silver 2+2. I wish mine was back on the road
Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Lol - that would be your starter solenoid. On my '83 280ZXT the previous owner had hooked the starter up to a pull switch to bypass the ignition switch... sigh....
so just connect the red wire to the positive connector on the battery? The car seems to be running fine without it, which is why I am confused. Well, it "runs fine" without it. see above for various problems
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM
The Good Twin

Time to degrease that engine bay.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 PM
The Good Twin

Is this the 280zxt that you said you could get parts from?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&search=datsun
Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 PM

Is this the 280zxt that you said you could get parts from?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&search=datsun
No, it was a guy in Provo, but I might have to give that guy a call! I have a brother out that way, so we go out there often enough.

Here is the guy I was talking about, but he ended up being unwilling to sell parts. He only wanted to sell the entire car.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=4447573http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=4447573

Quick Reply: 1981 280zx timing and/or pressure problems