280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Struts, and springs for my '82 280zx

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 04:00 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Struts, and springs for my '82 280zx

Hey everybody, I am pondering what kind of suspension, I want on my '82 280zx. Either Eibach, Tokico springs. Or KYB, Tokico struts. I want the handling for the street, and not sacrifice ride. But I want to eliminate the rear end squat also. Maybe a little of the rear raised, just slightly, or straight out even on all 4 corners. Anyway an info, and or advice is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:46 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Without going to coil-overs, you'll be pretty much stuck with the 1 or 2 spring rates offered for these cars by the manufacturers you mentioned.

For maximum squat resistance without coil-overs you need Tokico Illumina's for the 280ZX (NLA). Tokico quit making the rear's for this car back in the 90's.

Call them and tell them you want them to start making rear Illumina shocks for the Datsun/Nissan 280ZX again:

Tokico Gas Shocks
20021 S Rancho Way
Rancho Dominguez, CA 90220-6318
800-548-2549

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/index.html
Old 09-21-2005, 03:52 AM

Eibach Pro-kit & KYB's... works very well with my car
Old 09-21-2005, 04:19 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks for the tip guys. I think I will go with Eibach springs, and KYB struts. You both were verry helpful!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:18 AM
The Good Twin

Don't forget the full poli-urethane bushing kit!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

How fun are those bushing to replace? I can get them from those Z catalogs. I know when I drove my Z around the block, it would kind of clunk when I let off the throttle. Is that the bushings in back?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
How fun are those bushing to replace? I can get them from those Z catalogs. I know when I drove my Z around the block, it would kind of clunk when I let off the throttle. Is that the bushings in back?
prolly the differential bushing.

The poli kit is easy to install... cept for the control arms. they are pressed in. I carefully cut them out w/ a sawsall. World of difference tho!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

How do I replace the differential bushing? Or can I leave it alone for now? Just so I can drive my Z, is it really serious?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Doesn't post much...

KYB/Eibach... That's all I have to about that.

Rod.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:05 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
How do I replace the differential bushing? Or can I leave it alone for now? Just so I can drive my Z, is it really serious?
I would inspect it before ya dig into it. Get a bright light & mirror to stick up there. It's an "L" looking rubber bracket... check for any large cracks or to see if it's pulling apart. (mustache bar bushing in pic)
Attached Thumbnails Struts, and springs for my '82 280zx-quaife.jpg  
Old 09-21-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I carefully cut them out w/ a sawsall.
Is it possible to cut anything carefully with a Sawzall?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:54 AM

I have a 1983 280ZX Turbo that I am restoring. I recently replaced the struts all the way around, and all 4 tie rods and both ball joints in front. The front is great...but I still have negative camber (squat) in the rear. Any idea what is causing this ?? I have been told everything from bent frame (not likely) to bad rear coil springs...Thanks for any info. Charlie
Old 09-27-2005, 06:40 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Charlie
but I still have negative camber (squat) in the rear. Any idea what is causing this ?? I have been told everything from bent frame (not likely) to bad rear coil springs...Thanks for any info. Charlie

It's what we call.... Z squat. All "stock" early Z's had that squat. It's actually a good thing, tho it looks hideous. It helps w/ traction, by putting more weight on the tires. A good set of stiff springs will fix it. There's a bunch of different threads on this site already, that have info on springs & suspension tips.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:54 AM

Good call on the upgrades, I dumped over $2700 into my suspension rebuild, & it was worth it MSA owns me

but I can corner like a mad man at this point the car is used mostly for autocross & the occasional destruction of a honda
Old 09-27-2005, 12:13 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by VenomousZX
Good call on the upgrades, I dumped over $2700 into my suspension rebuild, & it was worth it MSA owns me

but I can corner like a mad man at this point the car is used mostly for autocross & the occasional destruction of a honda

$2700! That Z better handle like an F1 car now! You get coil overs?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Doesn't post much...

$2700.00 Doesn't sound that bad to me... Hell, I get alot of my stuff for a lot less than most people pay and I'm way over that much invested in it. I'm still not even close to being done either. Lot's of goodies on the horizon.

Rod.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:21 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Although, you should be able to do springs, sway bars and struts for $1200 to $1300 depending on if you go adjustable or not.

For $2500, you should be able to do coil-overs...
Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Doesn't post much...

True, but when you start factoring in things like tie-rod ends, ball joints, bearings, bushings (Poly) and all the other little incidental stuff, it adds up pretty quick.

Rod.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:43 AM

What he said ---^

Ok here is a breakdown of what I purchased
Power Slot Rotors front & rear, remanufactured calipers front & rear, carbon ceramic break pads, poly bushings, KYB shcks/Struts/Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, MSA Sway Bars front & reat. Cusco Strut tower braces front & rear, crappy Grand-am Radial GT tires($323 for 4 of them 215 60R14 front 225 60R14 rear) low & wide... like my ex wife however with less body roll... counting install time of 2 days @ Les Schwab $2703.86 FOR THE RECORD: The Sway Bars & Strut tower Braces cost me $571 Shipped! MSA fragged me on the shipping so they refunded the $125 it would have cost me in addition to the $571

If I had the $$$ I would have gone for coil overs, thats a few months away along with a better camber kit front & rear
Old 09-28-2005, 10:06 AM
The Good Twin

Yikes! A lot of $$$ can be saved by DIY projects tho... I made my own heavy duty strut bars. You also added in the cost of brakes... just to clarify: Wildman's beginning post was just relating to suspension.

My breakdown:

~$60 for the poli kit
~$200 for the Eibach's
~$200 for KYB's
~$100 for ball joints
~$10 for strut bars
~$150 for Sumitomo HTR 225/55/R15's (just rear tires)
~$60 for full alignment

Total: About $780... give or take $50
Old 09-28-2005, 10:33 AM

is anyone using the coilovers from modern-motorsports? Where are u guys getting your coil overs from?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:39 PM

I emailed Ground Control about coilovers, but they said they only made fronts. Their first response said they didn't make rears because no one made rear shocks for us anymore (which is of course, mistaken). So when I told them I can still get Tokicos for the rears, they replied "they aren't strong enough", which strikes me as kind of a vague nonsensical reason since their coilovers are just a spring with an adjustable perch. I'll probably call them one of these days to get a straight answer.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:13 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

This is the cheapest I have found on the web so far, for the Eibach springs I want to get. E-bay on the other hand seems to be cheaper for the KYB GR2 struts, and shocks though.

And I am getting the springs powdercoated, a metallic blue, because the KYB's are a silver color. Pretty sweet to me.

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/nieipr.html
Old 10-31-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Heat Rave R
I emailed Ground Control about coilovers, but they said they only made fronts. Their first response said they didn't make rears because no one made rear shocks for us anymore (which is of course, mistaken). So when I told them I can still get Tokicos for the rears, they replied "they aren't strong enough", which strikes me as kind of a vague nonsensical reason since their coilovers are just a spring with an adjustable perch. I'll probably call them one of these days to get a straight answer.

modern motorsports makes rear coilovers for the ZX. I spoke to them a long while back and they said they also make front coilovers for the ZX, but that they dont advertise them on their site I'm not to sure about the logic of making a part but not advertising it
Old 10-31-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
modern motorsports makes rear coilovers for the ZX. I spoke to them a long while back and they said they also make front coilovers for the ZX, but that they dont advertise them on their site I'm not to sure about the logic of making a part but not advertising it
That makes a whole lot of sense. Techno Toy Tuning also said they make 280zx coilovers but dont advertise anywere.

Quick Reply: Struts, and springs for my '82 280zx