280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street suspension for 280 zx?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:02 PM

street suspension for 280 zx?

1980 5 speed coupe, non-turbo, stock wheels & 195/70-14 tires. What rear shocks & springs work well for strictly street use? I have way too much rear squat and clunks, suspect weak springs & loose diff mounts. Any difference between the tokigo & kyb rear shocks? Would new springs be enough or are there better options? I had all the shocks replaced with cheap autozone gas units when i got the car last summer, but the rear end just feels scary under power.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Doesn't post much...

The shocks/struts alone won't really make a big difference. Their job in life is to control the spring. If the springs are worn out, they're going to overwhelm even the best shock/strut. These cars are notorious for that squat due to weak rear springs. The front's are most likely just as bad though. Moog makes a really good stock height spring set for these cars for about 160 bucks (all 4). If you want to lower it a tad and minimalize the squat, get the Eibach lowering springs. You can get the Tociko HP/Eibach Pro-Kit set for about 350-400 bucks and you'll have all four springs and struts. That's a great combo package. I prefer the KYB for street use though and I'm running KYB's with the Eibach springs. Again though, if you want to keep the stock ride height, go with the Moog (Cargo Coil) springs and a good set of either KYB or Tociko struts. Stay away from Monroe and Gabriel. Rod.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Big Poppa

Hey Rod Dont Those Kyb's (gr2) Say N Ot To Use Them With Lowering Springs? I Have The Kybs And Love Them. I Just Didnt Lower It Due To The Warning Labels. I Also Have Progessive Rate Chev Van Springs On The Rear Of My Car. It Squats Maybee 1.5"
Old 01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by SHADY280
Hey Rod Dont Those Kyb's (gr2) Say N Ot To Use Them With Lowering Springs? I Have The Kybs And Love Them. I Just Didnt Lower It Due To The Warning Labels. I Also Have Progessive Rate Chev Van Springs On The Rear Of My Car. It Squats Maybee 1.5"
Technically speaking, any shock or strut that is designed to be an OEM replacement shouldn't be used with lowdering springs. They are all designed to operate within certain parameters of travel and height. That said, have you ever seen a set of struts for a 280Zx that were made specifically to go into a shorter spring? Nope... Because there aren't any. You're fine with the KYB's as long as you don't drop the car more than 2". Rod.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 AM

Check the link below for a very good price on HPs and spring package

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1