280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a wheel stud

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:03 PM

Replacing a wheel stud

well congrats to me on the rims! but... the stupid cheap lugnuts i used stripped a wheel stud eh.. I tried to fix it today but i wasnt sure where to go after i got to a certain point and i cant find my haynes book. The stud stripped in my left rear
I removed the caliper, rotor, and unbolted the u joint from the hub. Now am i suppose to unscrew the large nut inside the hub? I cant figure it out beacuse i keep trying to turn it and it wont budge. A SHOP WANTS 85 TO REPLACE IT! and the stud is 1.50 from kragen!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
I have a present for you...

cheap fix

I have removed and re-installed several stub axles using this method. Get two pieces of 1 1/4 square tubing from a metal supply store. They need to be 3 and 4ft. long. Raise the car with wheel off. Put on the lug nuts you have to protect the threads. Place the 3ft piece between two of the lugs and against the ground to prevent axle from rotating. use a breaker bar and 1 1/16 socket with the other tube on it as a cheater bar poiinting to the rear of the car. Push down on the bar with your foot and you will be applying about 180 ft lbs of torque on the nut with not much effort. The passenger side is a little harder because you will be lifting up on the bar. After you reposition it a couple of times to loosen the nut about half a turn you will be able to get it off with just a the ratchet. Tap the inner hub off. Axle pulllers work better but you can use a long steel punch and a short handled sledge hammer to tap, not bash, the axle out. Place the punch in the center point of the axle end. If your not careful to keep the punch in the center you might hit the threads. Knock out the bad stud. Align the new stud knurl teeth with the knurl in the hole and press it in. If you don't have a press, tap it in a little at a time and use the lug nut to help draw it in straight. You might want to grease or replace the bearings and seal.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Under My Car... brb

I did these in 20 mins. in the parking lot at my apt. All you need is a metric socket set and a hammer. I used a brass deadblow. Pull the caliper and the caliper mount. you should be able to rotate the hub so the back of the stud is in the clear location where the caliper was. Beat it out. Tap the new stud in to get it started. Use a lugnut to draw the stud in. It needs to be drawn all the way in with none of the knurl showing in the back of the hub. Easy as pie!!
Old 02-11-2005, 10:05 AM

I dont think that i can take the rear caliper mount off... if i can i have no idea how? I got the stud loose but then i can find a way to get it out. If there is a way to remove the rear caliper mount then life would be good
Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Under My Car... brb

There are two 17mm (Ithink) botls on the backside of the mount. One on top and one below. They may be a little difficult to break loose. Once these are out the mount falls right off. I'll see if I can find some drawings in my manuals. Email me at hammer71@comcast.net and I'll send tehm in the reply. All you'll need is Adobe Acrobat reader.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:21 PM

If the bolts are difficult to break loose, use WD-40 or some soaking fluid to help with removing the bolts.