280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adapters/spacers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 02:41 PM

adapters/spacers

Yeah I know, this subject has been covered. And yes, I know Rod went real indepth about all that but my question here is a little more specific cause it deals with a particular part made by a particular company. So Rod, this ones for you or anyone else who knows about this ish:

This is what I was thinking of getting for my Z for the front wheels:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dvgreimann/wheels.html
Now are those a yay or nay IYO? I tried to post a link to Modern Motorsports but their site doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Now they claim as long as you keep adding positive offset you can make the adapters as wide as you want cause the positive offset wheel keep the hub centered with the rim (obviously you're limited by inner tire/wheel clearance. So how true is all that? I've found a few sets of wheels I like but they are not available in our current offset and I want a wider track for when I start on the widebody kit. So these seem like the answer since they (supposedly) put no extra strain on the bearings. I'm not worried about the rears cause I have a whole different plan for out back that wont require anything like this.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Doesn't post much...

Yes, Those are exactly what I have and they are the preferred shizzle. I have a 1.5" adaptor and am running 17x7.5 wheels with a +40mm offset just like homeboy in the link. I think I am actually going to go with a slightly thicker adaptor next time though because I want the wheel to come out a little more, also, when I go to an 18" wheel, they will be 18x8 or 18x8.5 so I will need more clearance.

If you want to put a FWD offset wheel on your car, those are what you want. I also had them made so that instead of a 4x1.5 bolt pattern (stock), they convert to 4x100 which is the most common FWD bolt pattern. Also the studs on the adaptor are 1/2 inch vs 12x1.25 or 12x1.5 (Nissan or Honda) for added strength and easier fitment of lugs.

Rod.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:03 PM

Thats a huge load off my shoulders. Man I was shopping around for wheels and all the ones i liked were either 5 lug or had a super positive offset. Well I got to thinking, hey Modern Motorsports makes adapters. I read one of their reviews and figured they'd be alright. I figured I'd get your opinion here first. I was planning on running a set of their hubs up front originally but now I don't see them on their site anymore and I haven't heard back from them about them. Plus the adapters would save me a few bucks over full on hubs. Though I'm going to have to stick with 4 lug up front and 5 lug out back. Maybe nobody will notice
Old 12-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Big Poppa

the modern motorsports guy (ross) is my friend. hes here 30 minutes down the road. amazing product. if you need to i can get a hold of him and give him your email or phone number. ask him q's untill your blue in the face.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 PM

all's you gotta do is tell him to check his email. Its the same as my Zdriver name @yahoo. I didn't mention the spacers to him though. Only the hubs at the time. I've still got all his old email from back when I first got interested in his stuff about coilovers and brake hats.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:39 PM

i went with 1" spacers and Mustang 4lug wheels, they were dirt cheap from a freind, and I dont trust most aftermarket wheels as they are either not DOT approved, or too heavy due to low tech casting. I wish I had went wider to clear wider tires though. Remember that cornering forces will throw the top of the inside tire toward the strut, so you might want more clearance than shown on that link. 1/2" should be safe, but more is better and it will vary a lot depending on the aspect ratio of the tire
Old 12-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Big Poppa

Ill Get On That For You J
Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 PM

I'm planning on going with 17 or 18" wheels. Haven't decided on width yet as I got to see how wide I'm going to make the body work first. Either Volk or I spotted some nice Gram lights I liked. I was shopping around and found a set of Volks magnesium wheels and they're going for ONLY like $1500 per rim without tire I found nice rims from both companies in the almost $300 per wheel catergory, so thats not too bad. And both those companies have an excellent reputation for being super light weight and very strong rims. Especially volk with their forged rims. I do believe the Gram Lights were cast however. As far as clearance I dont plan on too wide a rim in the front cause well, for one I don't have power steering and two Im not driving the front wheels. The rears gotta be pretty wide though cause they've got to hold LS1 power to the road Thats the main reason I'm going with a wide body kit.

jm, what you should have said was: I don't trust cheap aftermarket wheels.... For the right amount of money you can find a very well made wheel thats still light as hell.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Big Poppa

I Wish I Could Find Bolt On Rims With No Spacers Around Here. Tire Shops Seem To Be Stupid Or Something
Old 12-20-2005, 10:29 PM

You know while I was shopping around for wheels last night I found a whole bunch of nice aftermarket rims that will fit the 280zx (according to their site). And I'm not talking cheesy brands either. I'm talking like the Volk's I mentioned above. I'll find the link and post it up.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Big Poppa

Thanks That Help Would Be App.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:53 PM

Alright heres the link to the Volk wheels. http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheel...ent/nissan.htm

Or if you just want to hit up the main wheel page and see everything else they've got then heres that link:http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/index.htm

I don't know that they are the cheapest place to buy from but their site will sure let you know whats available. All the brands on their site that I looked at had those fitment guides that at the least, told you what size, offset and bolt pattern each wheel is available in. Now these are premium wheels so they can be a bit pricey, but if thats what you want then thats the place to try to find what you need. Again, I'd shop around to find the best price though.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:31 AM
The Evil Twin

If you're going with a widebody, I'd suggest not using those adaptors. You don't want to actually move the wheels further out, what you want are super wide wheels so the rim sticks further out but also further in.

Do a 5-lug swap front and rear and your options for wide 5-lug wheels will be very good. You can bolt those right up to the 300ZX 5-lug hubs that you swap. Hybridz has a thread on the 280ZX 5-lug swap. There are different options there.

18x10 up front 18x12 out back or something like that for your widebody. If you're going cheap on the suspension conversion, how do you expect to afford such wheels? Just do it right. Do not do a 5 lug rear and 4 lug front...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:25 AM

I didnt want to go cheap, I wanted to go with their custom hubs that they USED to have on their site. But they don't have them on there anymore and they haven't been getting back to me about them. I'd much prefer their hubs. But I'll look into the 300ZX swap. Are we talking Z31 Turbo or the Z32 hubs? Cause in the rear it's going to be Z32 cause I want the R230 and its axles to hold that power as reliably as possible.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 AM

Oh and just to specify, we're not talking like 6" wider or anything on the body work. Just maybe a couple of inches on either side, if that.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Alright heres the link to the Volk wheels. http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheel...ent/nissan.htm
Hm, looking at their listing of wheels that'd fit the old Z's, they have 16x7's at a +20 offset. Wouldn't that be too far in?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:36 PM

I didnt mean to say all aftermarket wheels are crap, just the ones in my price range.