280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

www.zspecgarage.com-part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 06:58 PM

OH SNAP! I think I still have mine! I'll root through the garage and let you know in a minute.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 PM

I'm assuming that's the little badass you want. Shoot me a PM, J.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:47 PM

Alright, I've been in contact with several companies who manufacture aftermarket parts that, in some way, pertain to the Z car (as well as other cars). I haven't had a chance to contact many yet but I'm getting around to it. Since the parts I manufacture are to be my main source of income, I plan to offer the products or other companies at greatly reduced prices compared to others. So far I've pretty much secured Autometer and SunPro (I know a lot of you are budget minded ). I'm working on Defi and will soon get started on setting up with companies that sale more performance oriented parts. I started with gauge companies cause it just seemed like the simplest place to start and would go perfectly with the gauge pods I'll be making. A Pillar, steering column, dash toppers and flat gauge panels. I'll keep you guys updated on the companies I secure and would like to hear from you on which companies you would like to see me selling. Whatever companies I secure, I'm shooting for the lowest possible prices.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:42 PM

Defi', all the way, J. That's what I plan on stuffing into my Zed.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Big Poppa

Have You Thought Of The Rear Tower Covers. Cap Included, And What About A Complete Interior, Lighten Your Car Every Way Possible. Paint Them And Knowbody Will Know.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:56 AM

SHADY, yeah I'm going to do what I can to start reproducing interior panels. Not just for weight reduction, but simply because it's getting really hard to find decent replacements anymore and nobody sells them new. I can make fiberglass interior panels for pretty cheap for people just wanting an OEM replacement for a damaged or missing piece. Of course Carbon is always an option And on the interior pieces I have an unlimited amount of possiblities on colors so that I can match a cars interior color. Not with paint mind you, but the color of the actuall gel coat. That way the part and it's color will last as long as, if not longer than the original pieces. And if an exact color cant be matched then painting them is always an option. Of course for all those Zer's looking for that all black interior, this would make it that much easier to get brand new pieces to do so. And the ZX only came with a limited number of interior colors so once I've color matched each one it shouldn't be hard to do it consistently. A little trial and error goes a long way. Now the only problem with all this is that I only have a 2 seater and even so, the only interior panels I've got are fore of the seats. I don't even have the little cubby storage compartments that went behind the seats. That was all ripped out by the previous owner (or his previous owner ). So, I've got to secure parts so that I can reproduce them.

D, I want Defi too. They may not be huge in the older Z car market but I'm sure the newer Zers would like to see them available at Thrift Store prices
Old 12-18-2005, 01:17 PM

That is great news, I have been wanting to change my interior from blue to black for a while.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Big Poppa

The Interior Paint Is Probably Lighter Than Gelcoat, Is It Not?? And I Have A Few Of Each Interior Panels In Great Shape.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I think at this piont J has been hit up to make anything detachable (and some things not) on the Z to make out of Carbon
Old 12-18-2005, 10:37 PM

I can make the gel coat any color/shade. It's just a matter of getting the mixture right. The gel coat itself is either white or clear, depending on what the finished product is going to be. Then I have a choice of pigment colors to choose from, including transparent. So I can lighten or darken or even make a color translucent. Translucent is pretty trick if you want the weave of say a carbon fabric to show through but still want some color to it.

And yeah, pretty much the only thing I haven't been hit up to make is a carbon passenger to roll with
Old 12-19-2005, 04:12 AM

Now that you mention it, J ...

Old 12-19-2005, 10:16 AM

i'VE CREATED A MONSTER
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM
From NY to AZ

I wish i could help you out with those interior panels but mine are all so damaged that it wouldn't be worth it to try and use them as molds for any new parts

Gah i wish Christmas shopping wasn't owning my bank account as much as it is or else i'd have a few other parts to send you right now
Old 12-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
i'VE CREATED A MONSTER
I think when my car runs, I will just drive it over and drop it off ofr a month or 2, and will fly back out and pick up my Carbon car (kinda a joke, but not really)
Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 PM

I should let you guys know that my 2 year old just came down with the chicken pox so needless to say progress has slowed to nearly a hault these past couple of days and probably until he gets better. My time is spent rubbing on Calidril and giving him baths. And to top it all off he doesn't sleep anymore. He stays up all night till the early morning and then decides he wants to wake up early too. I try to get stuff done while he naps and what not but it's just not enough time to make any progress. Hopefully I'll get some more stuff done over Christmas cause my wife's got a little mini vacation that week. Oh and I lost two plugs tonight cause I got ahead of myself. I left a window open while one was curing (paint) and it blew off it's perch and landed face down and now has a very nice texture to it. Any takers . The other cracked. It's only the filler that cracked, but that's what I get for trying to rush it and add more filler before the previous layer cured. And even then it didn't crack until I threw the primer onto it. Neither are complete losses but I'll be back to sanding and painting again. Good news is that I've already got everything I need to finish these parts. I have a few overlays that should be done in the next few days. They're not Z parts but I'll post up pics of them anyways when they're done.

Just keeping you guys updated. Oh and can I get a hollar of who'd be interested in A Pillar guage pods? Single, double, triple? That'll tell me if I should get working on those sooner than later.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 PM
From NY to AZ

i hope the little guy gets better soon
Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 AM

Hope he feels better, good luck
Old 12-20-2005, 10:36 AM

Thanks guys. He's a fighter. He hasn't complained once yet. And he don't scratch either (thank god), he just stays armed with his caladryl and takes care of it that way. He just wont let me leave his side. And I can't bring him into the workshop in his current state so... It's funny cause he's so independent and hates to be crowded but every time he gets sick or has something wrong with him he wants somebody there with him full time. Hey, thats part of parenting right Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Doesn't post much...

Chicken Pox suck, I hope he gets better real soon. I'm home today with a sick 6 year old, a sick 5 year old and a sick 2 year old... I feel your pain.

Rod.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:28 PM

No Rod, you're beyond my pain 3 sick kids Now that's real pain. But hey, you made me feel better Plus he's doing good, its just the whole cant get anything done part that's hurting me. Health wise, he's acting like theres nothing even wrong with him.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Figured I'd let you guys know that I found a source for ballistics grade Kevlar for relatively cheap. So if you want your parts bullet proof, just let me know and I'll hook you up

Overlays are almost finished, I'll post up pics when I get them done. Depends on how warm I can keep that room. Warmer it is the faster they'll cure.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Big Poppa

Id Go For An A Pillar Pod Kit In Fiber. You Got A Good Kid If He Can Cope With That And Not Complain. can you do the other side to, mines fubared.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:45 PM

E-5 here and might be able to buy a set of c/f but more interested in a lexan replacment glass to keep it light and clear, just my opinion but good luck with the c/f one!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:07 PM

J right after the whole Christmas thing passes, I'll order the parts I asked for from you. And definatly DEFI. And a-pillars and anything else small you all ready got molds for made. Thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 08:45 PM

Alright, I've finally got an update. Production is moving kind of slow cause I'm working out of only one room, so it limits how many different things I can do at once. Once winter is over, or atleast it warms up a little, I'm going to get started on an outdoors workshop so I can do sanding and prep in there, and just do laminating and painting in the current room. So, I'm almost finished with my first set of overlays, and by the end of next week I'll be laying up the first part. I have to wait for my bagging film to get here before I can layup the part, but the mold is already curing. It's nothing big, just the relay cover, but it's a start. I would have had the heatshields done, but they each took a turn at an unfortunate event and both are currently recovering (in other words, being prepped again). Once the overlays are done, I can get the shields finished and I'm going to start on the hood. It's only going to be in fiberglass, but hey, its a start. Once I post up pics of the overlays, you guys can feel free to ask for pricing on getting pretty much anything overlayed. I wont start doing overlays until I finish the carbon fiber body kit I'm working on though. Carbon fiber is getting really hard to come by and I've got to make sure I can finish everything for a current customer first. Then I can take orders as long as I can get carbon. Small quantities for individual parts shouldn't be too much of a problem, but making another carbon body kit might not be doable any time soon. You guys don't want to know how much that costs anyways. High rollers only Once you see who's getting the carbon body kit you'll know who the high roller is I'm also going to start the Ttops as soon as I finish this current order as well. On the list of parts I'm currently making for a customer right now are: Fiberglass hood (no, not a stock hood either, you'll have to wait and see ), a full carbon fiber body kit (not an original design), 3 heatshields in carbon, carbon relay cover, carbon splash pan, and some engine compartment overlays (not for the Z though). If I can still get enough carbon once these parts are done I'll also being doing fenders and doors, and who knows what else. I whatever I get orders for. Oh and I'm going to start on that rear spoiler as soon as the weather permits me too as well. Thats it for now. Hopefully the website will be back up once I finish these parts. Oh and on the stocking other companies parts: look for that to happen probably sometime after MSA show. Hopefully by the end of spring. Too much stuff to do before MSA though, so I cant worry about getting all that taken care of. Also this summer or fall, I'm going to run an ad in Sport Z magazine. I'll let you guys know so you can look out for that. Everythings pretty much going to happen after MSA cause I'm helping to get a car ready for the show by making parts for it. Happy new years.

Quick Reply: www.zspecgarage.com-part 2