280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

www.zspecgarage.com-part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:15 PM

when you get these done, and are ready for a set of z32 tops, let me know.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:26 PM

Thanks WildmaN, yeah LEXAN was actually what I was thiking of when I wrote that but I had a brain fart and Plexiglass is all I could come up with. Still didn't know about the whole yellowing thing though. That's interesting to know.

I'm definitely making plans to make Z32 tops. I have a feeling I'd sell a lot more of those then S130 tops. I'm sure I'll sell a few but I get the feeling the Z32 guys would be all over that if I get it right
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Bleach is my Hero

S130 gets everything at cost and you can mark up all the Z32 stuff to make profit j/k
Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 PM

the only prob with that drawing is that it makes the car look like an RX-7 from initial D the fourth stage.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:13 AM

... I'm not seeing any Rx7 in that sketch ... I even printed it out and stood in my driveway for the past half-hour, comparing it to my '86 Rex.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Now the deal with the ttops is that alls you have to do to your stock ones is remove the latching mecanism (just a few screws) and remove the weatherstrip (which is also held in place by a few screws) and transfer them to the carbon tops.
Since that weatherstripping is probably a couple decades old and exposed to high heat from sunlight, I'm thinking if it might be damaged from being removed. You know how some old gaskets/weatherseals get stuck to the pieces they've been touching all these years and leave bits behind. I wonder if new weatherseals are available and at a reasonable price. I mean, you're talking about the weatherstripping between the metal glass edging/frame and the glass itself right? Well, when you get it done, be sure to do a series of pics showing how it's done/what you're talking about.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:33 AM
From NY to AZ

from the first thread

Originally Posted by 007max
the only seal that's actually attached to the t-top is the one between the top and the window glass, though it's pretty complicated its only about a foot long, how much could it possibly cost?

edit: $29.95 per side from Victoria British, i think i can live with that
Old 11-17-2005, 09:19 AM

No, the weatherstipping I'm talking about is the one mentioned ^ from Victoria British. It's held in place by 4 screws. The weather stip itself is aheses to a metal frame that removes from the ttop with those screws. Making the swap very easy. There won't be anyother weatherstipping on the ttops as there won't be any crevices and what not to seal like on the OEM tops. The outside of the tops would just be one solid layer of Carbon. No trim or anything like that. It would mimic the shape of the original though.

And on that Pic, I think it actually resemble an Elise. The front end anyways. The rest is all Z but that front end is looking very Lotus like.

And 007, do those weatherstrips come with the rail or is it just the rubber? (or anyone else who know that answer to that question)
Old 11-17-2005, 11:20 AM

Hmm, if you cant get 60" wide carbon, I suppose there would always be a small market for split hoods (Not particularly my thing, but Ive seen a few z's with em)
Just an idea that crossed my mind while readin this thread
Old 11-17-2005, 02:38 PM
From NY to AZ

And 007, do those weatherstrips come with the rail or is it just the rubber? (or anyone else who know that answer to that question)
the VB catalog doesn't mention anything about the rail so i would assume they sell just the rubber part

have you thought about using a different method for securing the carbon t-tops other than the stock hardware? i think it would make the t-tops a bit lighter and easier to make if you made it work with a DIY setup to replace the stock latch. i'm drawing a blank on what i would use to make it work but maybe you can come up with something if you do make the tops use the stock latch would you also make a panel to cover the mechanism like on the stock tops?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Bleach is my Hero

just use RTV silicone
Old 11-18-2005, 11:59 AM

Yeah I'm going to make the cover panel too. I've been sitting here trying to think of an alternative way to latch em but can't come up with anything. The problem is that it's got to look good too or I'm going to lose a good chunk of potential sales on that one. What would be an easy way to do it would be just a couple of pins on either side that latch the top in place (kind of like the stock one but two seperate pins). But making this work and still be easy to use and visually appealing is the hard part.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:36 PM

Fence latches.

There, I said it. I'm hood-rich.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Bleach is my Hero

How about 4 eyelet's and 2 padlocks I have an Idea but its really hard to explain..

like a tool box, on the lid, you have that latchthat you put the bar on the hook then clamp it down If I could show you It would be easier..
Old 11-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Leather straps and above said buckles, like the Mini Cooper's hood was secured back in the day.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:54 PM
From NY to AZ

Yeah I'm going to make the cover panel too. I've been sitting here trying to think of an alternative way to latch em but can't come up with anything. The problem is that it's got to look good too or I'm going to lose a good chunk of potential sales on that one. What would be an easy way to do it would be just a couple of pins on either side that latch the top in place (kind of like the stock one but two seperate pins). But making this work and still be easy to use and visually appealing is the hard part.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by 007max

That'll work to.. Just gotta off set them alittle so the weatherstripping seals
Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Doesn't post much...

I thought the plan was to use the original hardware and frame, and just replace the glass portion with carbon or fiberglass? Did you change your mind?

By the way... That's post numer 999 for me!!!!! One more and I'm into 4 digit territory

Rod.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:07 PM

Well let me congratulate you on surpassing the 1K post mark Rod. Welcome to the club and your "I've also got too much time on my hands" hat is sure to be mailed out to you sometime within the next 70 years. Yeah I changed my mind. I figured out how I could make the whole thing out of carbon and still use the original latch and interior trim piece. So aside from the weight and the fact that it's made out of carbonn it will function just like the stock one. Getting the glass off of the tops without damaging anything else turns out to be a pain. And it would be easier to just make a carbon duplicate of the original. I pulled out the latching mechanism and it's actually not all that heavy. That's the only original part that would be retained other than the weatherstrip. Well you could retain the interior trim part too but if you prefer carbon then that's an option. Plus this way nobody will have to sacrifice their ttops either. You just have to dissasemble a little. I also noticed that the screws holding my weatherstripping on are REALLY tough cause their sealed in there with glue. I'm most likely going to have to drill out my screws. I don't know if everybody would have that problem or what but it's something to look out for. As soon as S/C's parts get here I can get started on those and then you guys can see what a few of the products are going to look like. Stay tuned.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
How about 4 eyelet's and 2 padlocks I have an Idea but its really hard to explain..

like a tool box, on the lid, you have that latchthat you put the bar on the hook then clamp it down If I could show you It would be easier..

Man I must have missed this post. I like that idea. I forget what those latches are called, but they use them in racing alot to secure body panels that need to come of really quick. That's an idea I'm willing to run with for the ultimate in weight savings on the tops. Of course I'm still going to make them to use the stock latch but I could make an interior panel designed to accept something like this as well. That way you'd have a choice. s/c coming to the rescue again
Old 11-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Man I must have missed this post. I like that idea. I forget what those latches are called, but they use them in racing alot to secure body panels that need to come of really quick. That's an idea I'm willing to run with for the ultimate in weight savings on the tops. Of course I'm still going to make them to use the stock latch but I could make an interior panel designed to accept something like this as well. That way you'd have a choice. s/c coming to the rescue again
oh ****.. I forgot.. those eyelits and zip ties.. Less wieght
Old 11-21-2005, 08:59 PM

If you really want to save weight I could just take the ttops off and lay some carbon over the roof of the car. That way you wouldn't have to worry about latching. Just adhese some weatherstrip to the edges so the doors seal up good. That should do the trick.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 PM
From NY to AZ

If you really want to save weight I could just take the ttops off and lay some carbon over the roof of the car. That way you wouldn't have to worry about latching. Just adhese some weatherstrip to the edges so the doors seal up good. That should do the trick.
i think thats the best weight reduction idea i've heard yet free too
Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 PM

I could just weld in a cage structure to act as the support where the roof WAS and just make an entire roof out of carbon Hey, now there's an idea
Old 11-22-2005, 04:37 PM

^ J, you are my hero.

EDIT: Hey, you know, I'm buying a Slicktop ... if you do decide to make a CF roof, I'll buy.

Quick Reply: www.zspecgarage.com-part 2