280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who do you think would buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Ruff Ryder

who do you think would buy this?

just found this rice mod for the zx, rice doors
Old 12-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Big Poppa

If You Like Rice Its Cool, But Not For Me I Like My Doors To Open Regular
Old 12-27-2005, 07:23 PM
The Good Twin

LoL... for a "280zx" yet no 280zx pics. It's "universal" because every car is exactly the same There's a white 280zx on cardomain w/ the lambo doors... IMO it might take skill to install them & make them work right, but it deffinately doesn't show good taste.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM

Yeah that's a universal kit. I was talking to Vertical Doors about making a kit for the 280zx but it's not going to happen. What I could do is taylor fit the universal kit to work with the 280zx and resell it that way, but then whats the point. All that work for what I don't think would be a very good seller. I thought it would be cool for them to do it though so that atleast it would be an option, but I don't want to put forth the effort for something nobody seems to want. And I wouldn't go so far as to call it rice. A nice kit that actually opens and closes smoothy and opens to an angle that will allow you to exit and enter the vehicle without acquiring a concusion would, I think just add to the head turning appeal of the car. Everybody is going to notice vertical doors on a 280ZX. They don't take anything away from the look of the car, you can't even tell they're there while the doors are closed. You can park just about anywhere and not have to worry about your doors (of course it's everybody elses doors you have to worry about. And then theres the factor of, who has it? On a S130, maybe a couple people in the WORLD. I'd do it if it wasn't so damn expensive and a good quality kit was available. That's instant show car points right there and you know the ladies would love that ish Thats not rice. Neon undercar kits: Thats rice
Old 12-27-2005, 09:25 PM

I'd do it. Why not. I don't think it's rice. Lamborghini didn't say , hey that's rice, don't put that crap on there. On a little Civic, it doesn't look the best. On a nice sporty looking car, it looks like it should have come that way.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:02 PM

The Z does after all have some long doors. As far as I'm concerned something like that should be considered a luxury, especially if you get it motorized so you don't even have to lift the door Sure it's getting to the point that every kind of car on the road has this done to it and its being done more and more. But it still stands, you're not going to find too many 280zx's with it done.

I look at it like this RICE is "a part that Really I Cant Explain why it's on my car" If it has some functionality, even if you're not excercising that funcionality, technically it can't be considered rice. It's getting to the point where if somebody doesn't like something then its considered rice. A lot of people dont like the Z and consider all Imports Rice. We'd all have to disagree. We really gotta watch what we classify as rice cause vertical doors is not rice. Especially since it's has it's Italian origins. So if anything its Pasta But according to my wife, pasta and rice dont belong on the same plate together. Who's she kidding, pasta and rice go great together if she'd only stop and try it
Old 12-27-2005, 10:06 PM

Oh and for you hardcore racers, I can understand how vertical doors would be considered completely unneccessary. And I also understand how the price makes them a pretty unreasonable modification. Drop the price down a lot lower and make the kits work right with proper fitment and I'm all over that ish. After all, I am building a demo vehicle and it's gotta appeal at the car shows as well as on the track and street. The more originality in my car the better. Of course by the time I can put vertical doors on my car they'll probably be all over the Z forums
Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 PM

I have always wanted some of those on my car!! along with Z3 fenders and green neon lighting!!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 PM

I don't think the green would mesh well with the color of your car. Maybe a red or blue neon would suit you better
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 AM

Ok theese kits have gotten on my nerves for a while and heres why.

Lambo doors open straight up, made that way and are true Scissor doors

Theese kits have to make up for the fact that the car wasnt designed to open that way so they open out and up (Butterfly doors)

The Gull wing doors hinged on the roof like the back to the future car

Suacide doors open from the front (suacide to exit when moving LOL)

Slider doors like are on the minivan sides

And to explain why a Lambo has those doors open up, Ok the car is sold in Europe.. small roads and small parking. Look at how wide the car is and you can understand that opening the door in an already cramped parking spot might become dangerous to ones paint and bodywork.

BTW I really like your definition of RICE Really I Cant Expalin
Old 12-29-2005, 12:15 PM

See thats what makes most of these kits so shoddy. The fact that they have to open out and then up. It makes a lot of them very unstable among other things. When you're making a hinge that only works one way it's alot easier to make it strong and stable (and lighter) than a hinge that has to work two ways. And because the doors on most cars are shaped the way they are, pretty much as rectangles, it makes entry and exit from the car fairly complex with these vertical door kits. The Lambo's doors are shaped prorperly to allow getting in and out easier with the doors in the vertical posistion.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Doesn't post much...

When 1 or 2 people did it simply for the purpose of having something different at car show's, it was OK. Now that it's becoming a "Trend", it's just silly and useless. The original Lamorghini Countach had those doors as an inherent part of it's design and structure and they served a purpose beyond just the styling aspect of it. When I recently had the opportunity to go for a "spirited" ride in a new Gallardo, I was almost momentarily saddened by the fact that it had "Normal" doors. But, the engineers that designed the car obviously didn't feel the need to make it that complicated. Form follows function. By the way... That was a sweet ride!!!!!

Rod.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:27 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Form follows function
I love that phrase! Too bad not many understand it.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:46 AM

i always thought some suicide lambo doors would be sick....on the right car......like a lambo.......
Old 12-31-2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
When I recently had the opportunity to go for a "spirited" ride in a new Gallardo, I was almost momentarily saddened by the fact that it had "Normal" doors.
Hehe, well since the Gallardo is the "cheap" Lamborghini, maybe it's their way of making you buy a more expensive model to get their signature doors. =P
Old 12-31-2005, 02:18 PM
From NY to AZ

Has anyone seen the episode of Viva La Ban where he cuts a hole for a sunroof in his purple Gallardo with a sawzall?

Old 12-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Doesn't post much...

Here Ya Go...

Rod.
Attached Thumbnails who do you think would buy this?-lambo350z.jpg  
Old 12-31-2005, 05:52 PM

even better

Old 12-31-2005, 07:18 PM

I don't see it being that bad. On the right car hell yes, wrong car hell no.

And form all ways should follow function. Even if it is originally a bad idea. I've cut my front bumper opening up 2" and removed the crash bar before, just to fit my front mount intercooler in there. And on the same car a 95 eclipse, I've cut the exhaust cut out in the back 1" bigger so I could get my 3" straight exhaust to fit up and tight, and have enough room to stop melting my rear bumper. And since my sidemount intercoolers were no longer there I cut all the extra tabs and mounting points out and made the vents in the wheel well bigger, to help stop the brakes from cooking. All probably bad ideas, but necessary to solve certain individual problems. Some called it rice, because they didn't understand why, and I was not about to try and explain it.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:29 PM

rice, rice baby. Too hot

N E Wayz. On the 350Z I think those doors look really good. On a 240Z, maybe not so much. I'll put it this way: Driving around your bone stock Civic with nothing but vertical doors and never attending a single car show is rice. Now if you've got one pimped out ride and are looking to take best of show in your AWD RB26DETT powered 280ZX with custom widebody kit and vertical doors that never sees the light of day except to be trailored to the show isn't rice. Sure it's a trailor queen, and sure it goes against everything I believe in. But it's not rice. The doors serve a purpose in that case. To wow the judges. Which is why a lot of cars actually have those. Judges like stuff like that. We think neon lights are ricey. Judges think they're worth extra points if done right. If the function of the entire car is purely for show then the parts need not perform real world functions. For example, the Z I've got now would never see a mod like vertical doors. Theres no point. But when I build a demo vehicle for my company, you better believe it's gonna have some stuff on there that's not neccessary. Neon lights: NO. Vertical doors: Maybe. Crazy widebody kit: Hell yeah. You can do stupid crap to a show car and get away with it. Whatever it takes to win that free set of wheels or a shelf full of trophies
Old 01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Ummmm... Sexy!

Old 01-03-2006, 03:36 PM

I'd join the PD if I could cruise around in that thing
Old 01-03-2006, 04:43 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

And the officer driving it was really cool too.

I told him he could give me a ticket in that Z any time and he said if I were driving my Z it would only be a warning anyway! HAHAHA!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Doesn't post much...

Our local PD's Public Relations car is a damn Camaro! It looks pretty cool, but it's a Camaro.

Rod.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 PM

Yeah the Camaro seems to be a pretty popular choice for law enforcement.

A little before my time, but I remember seeing pics of a CHP Countach If that thing was for real then it must be nice to know where the tax payers dollars were going at the time That or that drug money wasn't staying in evidence