280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereo?? and accessory outlets

Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 AM

stereo?? and accessory outlets

hi guys. I have a 81 280zx with factory am/fm cassette stereo (still works) that I want to leave in its place to maintain the stock look of the vehicle. I would like to add a removable boom box type stereo that sounds good and allows me to hook up my ipod. However, I don't have any accessorie outlets ( cigarette lighters) although I do have two blank outlets that could obviously be converted. My questions are.
1) Is it a big deal to add one or two accessories outlets in the dummy holes that now have plugs in them?
2) Does anyone have any good suggestions for removable stereo that will work with my ipod. Harmon Kardon has a nice one at Price Club that I think might work nicely and Blaupunkt had a unit that looks interesting.
3) Any other ideas that would work better that members have in their Zeds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Vic
Old 07-12-2010, 06:37 AM
The Good Twin

I have two cig lighters in mine If you want to keep the stock stereo look, I would install a new deck in the glove box & just run new wire. Decks are super cheap these days & most of them will play MP3's / WMA's & also have USB / AUX ports.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 AM
This facepalm's for you!

Iv mounted them like shown above and Iv mounted it in the glove box with an aux cable run (hidden) to the center console cubby
Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 AM

Yea I've thought about using the glove box but speakers are the other problem. The stock speakers are ok but not exactly earth shattering
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM
The Good Twin

Indeed.

Yank the dash & replace em... easy as pie!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Indeed.

Yank the dash & replace em... easy as pie!
Except for that center dash speaker. It is a royal pain, to put the wires back on the connectors. After the dash is in. After that, I said screw it. And ran 8" behind my seats, where the rear speakers, I believe 5 or 6", were mounted from factory. Sounded pretty good. Along with my 2 6 x 9" speaker taillight panel from MSA.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
The Good Twin

Why didn't you connect the speaker before re-installing the dash?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^You can't with the stock wiring. That was the main problem. Besides, I think they sound like crap, the way they are mounted anyway. The big thing was dealing with the ductwork. Which is right in the way, and having to wedge my fingers in the small space. To get the wires plugged in. Like I said: just not worth it to me. Crappy design, and one of the few flaws from factory with these cars. Okay I am done now.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Thanks guys. Not really interested in pulling the dash.
A) too much work for a neophyte like myself
B) I have heard that it is very possible to end up cracking the dash or have it crack later as a result of removing it.
But getting some ideas and will certainly let you know what I decide to do....
Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Zed59
Thanks guys. Not really interested in pulling the dash.
A) too much work for a neophyte like myself
B) I have heard that it is very possible to end up cracking the dash or have it crack later as a result of removing it.
But getting some ideas and will certainly let you know what I decide to do....
Thanks
No problem...And the only way you could possibly crack the dash, from removing it. Is not being careful, just take your time. And make sure you get all the bolts removed. Before trying to pull it out of there. (If you decide to pull the dash) All in all, good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm a Registered User!

Originally Posted by WildmaN
^You can't with the stock wiring. That was the main problem. Besides, I think they sound like crap, the way they are mounted anyway. The big thing was dealing with the ductwork. Which is right in the way, and having to wedge my fingers in the small space. To get the wires plugged in. Like I said: just not worth it to me. Crappy design, and one of the few flaws from factory with these cars. Okay I am done now.
You sure??? I'm pretty sure I was able to attach the factory wires before I put the dash back on. Then again mine is an '83
Old 07-13-2010, 08:45 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
You sure??? I'm pretty sure I was able to attach the factory wires before I put the dash back on. Then again mine is an '83
I don't think there is much difference with '82 and '83. Considering...I have both of those years. Anyway, it was a pain for me, I don't know. lol It just seemed more trouble than it was worth. Props for getting the wires attached, before putting the dash back on. Well, there is that center spot. Where the main black ductwork is. That is vertical, that was the part, that made it difficult for me. Maybe, it could have been easier. I just had too much trouble with it.