280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help - hood damage and paint color mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:27 PM

Please help - hood damage and paint color mismatch

Hi,

The hood of my z was damaged while at the repair shop - the end tip/corner of the hood by the windshield was bent inwardly. The repair shop sent my z to a body shop to fix the damage. Unfortunately, the body shop ended up painting the whole hood which now looks different than the rest of the car. The body shop and the repair shop are claiming that they just used clear coat and the color of the hood is the same as the rest of the car. I absolutely disagree as I know my car very well, after looking sparkling and glossy, now it is dull, darker and not glossy.

My question is if it is clear coat how in the world did the color of the hood became different than the rest of the car? I feel that I am about to face a problem with the repair shop, don't know what to do and I'm concerned about leaving my z at their facility until this problem is resolved.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 06:59 AM

That's odd...Clearcoating should make it glossy & not dull...I think...

I guess you should show it to a body/paintshop & ask their opinion & estimate for "fixing" it...then try to resolve it with the repair shop by providing any new information.
Always try to be polite & see if they can correct it first...if no progress is made and you think you have a case...gather up paperwork/estimates & affidavit from the body/paintshop and go to small claims court.

EDIT EXTRA: I just remembered...my fender on my Ford Probe had some minor swirls / scratches on it & the bodyshop buffed & polished it.
It resulted in my fender being slightly darker than the rest of the car, might have been a little duller too...I don't know why...
But I only have my entire car polished & then waxed at same time now.

Last edited by 280gty; 11-29-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:04 PM

Touch the hood and see if it feels smooth. If not, then the repair shop did a shoddy job. I call it "orange peel". If this is the case, you need to take it elsewhere and have it redone. The chances of the origonal shop paying for it is nil to none, but it'll look right. If you do have a case of "orange peel" they put the car in the open air too soon or sprayed too close.

If the hood feels smooth then wash and wax the entire car. Paint does oxidize and lose some color after awhile.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:20 PM

That doesn't sound like a fun situation. You might be able to have to entire car wet sanded then rebuffed and it would probably match a little more. Its cheap to have done and not too hard to do yourself either. You can rent a buffer at a lof of rental shops. Good Luck.