280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 PM

Interior question

has anyone in here painted their interior? as in primer it and gloss it or atleast paint it in anyway and how good did that come out?
-chuck
Old 12-06-2004, 09:54 PM

Good timing for this question. I've actually been painting my interior. I wanted the red interior but it's pretty hard to find all the pieces. And most red paints are too bright. However I found the perfect burgundy color match at Walmart of all places. I'm using Krylon "Fusion" paint, which is formulated to stick to plastic without primering. Other companies make comparable plastic paints. So far it's turning out pretty good, though I haven't tested out durability against scratches yet. I advise you to use a Satin color for the closest match to a factory job. IMO, the non-satin colors look too glossy, and too obvious that it was painted. So if you're trying to match factory pieces, I'd advise Satin. If you're completely redoing the interior, then gloss will make the interior all shiny and bright. So whatever floats your boat.

I'm also using a red spray dye (not paint) for some vinyl pieces that I expect high wear on. Naturally, a dye will be more durable than paint against wear since it's staining the object. However, it takes a lot more spraying to change the color completely, and is better suited to restore color than to change it. Being dependent on penetrating the item to change the color, the dye seems to work better on vinyl than hard plastic.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:26 PM

eeek yeah man i painted my interior that's why i asked cause i used kyrlon as well and that did not do great job i even added numerouse layers of clear coat and scratches still appear, as in where the seatbelts go on that little piece of side panel from the inside, and on the arm rest the grease from people stay embeded the only way to cover that up is with armoroil, and i just think primering and going for a pro paint job should be the only good way to go cause other than that it's not a guarantee the paint will stay on when scratched by another object.
-chuck
Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 AM

I've done a lot of my interior in my old car with just light gray primer. It looked nice and stayed on good. But in my z i've been changing the interior to black. I bought black seats, seatbelts, and headliner but a lot of the rest will be painted. The vinyl paint works nicely, even though it takes awhile to coat parts. Maybe I'll put up some pics because I should hopefully be done in about 2 weeks. What color are you doing your interior?

P.S- what are you guys doing about carpet?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

go to your local auto pait store and get the paint from there... they have the primer youll need and also all the paint colors for interiors... thats what i used.. the only chips i got are from the parts i didnt primer cuz i ran out of primer but everywhere else i painted. held up pretty well...
Old 12-07-2004, 11:20 AM

I'm in this predicament myself. Instead of painting and / or dying the interior parts, I'm simply covering everything with cloth. My interior will be a gray / black mix, with the black deluxe carpet kit from Victoria British, black leather bucket seats, and the rear seats reupholstered with the gray kit from VB. The dash and headliner will be padded and covered in either a black/silver twill cloth, or black cloth of some sort. For the doorpanels, I'm going to cut new pieces of pressboard, cover them with foam padding, and add another layer in the shape of a Z to give the raised effect to it. I'll get some spray adhesive and put that on the foam, then stretch the cloth over it. Voila, custom door panels. Oh yeah, I'll also be adding speakers to the doors as well. Now that I have money, and another car, I can work on the Z with less pressure to get her done any time soon!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:43 AM

color for my interior i'm doing is just black i think i might do what icee did with his car after all his interior does look really nice. Kudos. And also i'm just gonna redo all the carpet and everything that can be redone.
-chuck
Old 12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
The Evil Twin

A friend of mine did his dash in silver. He started with the expensive Krylon paint. That stuff just scratched right off. Then he bought cheaper generic spray paint and it stuck great.

My interrior is stock black. I might paint the grey trim black. I planned to order a carpet kit rom MSA for $200.