280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner needs attending

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:49 AM

Thumbs down Headliner needs attending

I have an original 81 and the headliner is finally starting to lift off by the T-tops. I have never done one of these before so I plan on taking it a trim shop to have it done, but I want to make sure these guys are on the up-and-up. What I"m looking for his some basic knowledge - does the vinyl get glued to a board and then put up in the overhead? Should it be trimmed a little larger the needed to consider for folding over the board and shinkrage considerations? Does anyone know if the vinyl sold at MSA is a good quality or should I just let the trim shop provide their material, too.? Any other tips I should look for would be greatly appreciated, too.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
the 300zx ttops headliner comes already glued to a backing, ready to install. hehehe. i need to do this to my AE, but i live close enough to mexico.....
Old 06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

they glue a thin foam pad to the backboard then they glue the vinyl to the thin foam pad.. trim it but i would tim it a little longer .. most of the over hang is coverd by the plastic trim pieces... its really not that hard to do you can probably do it yourself....
Old 06-06-2006, 02:41 PM

yup its quiet easy to do...heres what mine looks like..out of the car, when i put it in all the wrinkles tighten up because of the plastic mouldings that Ice mentioned. i can take a pic inside the car with the trim on too if you want...
Old 06-06-2006, 07:47 PM

I just put a new headliner in mine too, I actually used the headliner out of a 2001 Cadillac Deville and just cut it to the right shape.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 AM

First, if you don't think you can do it or you have doubts as to your skills, it is best left to a pro. But if you never try anything you won't learn nothing. If you can get a scrap headliner from a donor car "junk yard" you can practice on it. I did a headliner in a 1992 Camaro, it was the first one I did and it came out perfect...no wrinkles or mess ups. I went to a large fabric store and ask for some headliner material which they had. Real headliner material has the foam backing already on the material. I got cloth but they could order vinyl headliner material. I then went to Wal Mart and got some 3M spray on adhesive $8 for the tall can.

Once the headliner backing was cleaned of dust and old glue I laid the new material over it and cut it 3 inches larger the the headliner backing, removed it and sprayed the headliner backing and then with the new material laying face down-foam up I sprayed the foam part also. I coated both pieces completely and allowed the glue to dry. I then carefully laid the new material over the headliner backing making sure it was overhanging 3 inches and lightly rubbed it into place without stretching it. I then trimed it again to an eighth of an inch all the way around and cut out any holes with a razor also taking care on how I cut. Then carefully put it back in the car in reverse order and it was perfect. Just take your time, you CAN do it yourself, if you have to then practice...it does make perfect and it will save you money. My total cost was like $24 for the material and glue. I was quoted near $150, as you can see big savings.

Last edited by thxone; 06-07-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:22 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Less than $10 I did my headliner, in a silverish polyester fabric. I put 2 layers of the material,with foam underneath, that I got from work. It was thrown out anyway, so they didn't miss it. At first I didn't like it, but now the pillow effect has grown on me, and I think it is really different. Of course it took me almost 9 hours to do it, considering it was my first time. But then most of the things I did on my Z, was my first time, and blind doing it. Especially the motor swap, and clutch job. And also the interior work I am still doing on it.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:33 PM

Headliner

Thanks for the instruction and advice. It's not the laying of the material or cutting it, it's the taking out. Give me an engine or trans any day, but when it comes to being patient enough for trim, HA! Add to that the fact I don't have a clue how the trim comes off, I think I'll just take it in, use your wonderful information and tips to make myself speak intelligently and not get ripped off. They quoted me $100 so I think that's reasonable.

Thank you all.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:34 PM

$100 is very reasonable for paying someone else to do it. Labor is how they make their money. Unless you're Rod with his Royal Purple mark ups
Old 06-07-2006, 10:01 PM

How MUCH is he charging for the purple??? LOL
Old 06-07-2006, 10:19 PM

that i dont know, but he let us all in on an insiders secret not too long ago about how much HE pays for royal purple in comparison to oh, say Mobil 1. We all know which costs MORE retail. But Rod knows which actually costs LESS wholesale