280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Exterior lights

Couple exterior lighting problems I have, the one I consider most critical first...

The past couple days, I've noticed my headlights doing funky stuff, when they should be doing nothing. Once I found them and all parkinglights fired up, while the switch was turned off. Several times I have had just the parking lights burning, while my light switch is turned off. Its not a steady or constant occurance. It seems that sometimes just turning the switch back on and off does the trick, and it seems other times that it happens when I've not had the switch turned on at all.

The other problem... Where the heck is the flasher/relay for the blinkers? I've seen a couple pictures that shows it under the dash, as a shiny cylindar shaped unit. I don't have anything of the sorts under my dash. I did notice a heat-shielded electronic device just behind the drivers strut tower though, that appears to be on the correct leg of the wireharness. Think that is it?

Thanks guys
rx
Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 PM

What year model is that?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 PM

This website http://carfiche.com/manuals022/cars/ has a downloadable manual for a 1982 280zx (and several other Z's). you will find a file on page el-124 that shows the location of the flasher. I had a hard time finding mine. For one, its not the usual flasher that you are accustomed to seeing. Its a lot larger than you would expect, large trucks used to use the same basic flasher. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Looks like mine is an `81. It would also seem that the 81 uses different wire colors than the 82, or maybe P.O. did some wrong-color rewireing.

My car was missing the flasher completely. I purchased a 3-prong stant 550 that fit into the connector. Blinkers still don't work, but I don't have the hazard switch in the car, and the wire diagram from the `82 looks like it needs the hazard switch in place.

I believe there's more trouble in the system than just that. Two of the wires of the same color pattern as go into my flasher are stripped and twisted together underneath the dash. The Green and Green(yellow). I can't tell where they came from originally, none of the plugs/harnesses under there seemed to have chopped wires on them. If I'm reading the diagram correctly, they could only be from either the combo switch or the hazard switch.

Also, the Stant flasher is currently dangling below my dash supported only by the harness. Is there some removable bracket that is intended to hold the stock flasher?

--Edit--
Oops, looks like I lied about those two wires that are twisted together. Upon second inspection, they are Green(white) and Green(black). Green(white) as indicated by the `82 manual should go to the horns, and inspection under front bumper says this is correct. I can not find the Green(black) in the wireing diagrams though.

Maybe this means that the blinkers will work once I find my hazard switch to plug in. That would be nice, very nice.

Last edited by rxKaffee; 10-13-2007 at 08:04 PM.