280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

280zx Rear Louver installation

Old 09-15-2009, 09:05 AM

280zx Rear Louver installation

I just ordered a rear louver off eBay, I'm nervous about drilling holes in my 81 ZX, does anyone have advice/ knowledge about installing the louver (it is a bolt on, not the silly adhesive kind).

Thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 11:48 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

You only need to drill small holes in the top of the hatch for the hinges. Then the bottom uses clips that slide between the glass & gasket.

Is this a new or used louver?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:37 PM

It is a used louver, unfortunately it's tan, I need to paint it black first (my 280ZX is blue). If it's as easy as drilling the pilot holes and driving in screws, then I guess it should be a very simple job, I just dislike making permanent alterations at the risk of damaging the exterior, as the body is in pretty nice overall shape.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
The Good Twin

May I ask why you want a louver? Most people just throw them away because they are more of a nuisance than a help.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 PM

I like the way they look and I live in a sunny state (CO) where any protection from the sun I can get I appreciate. It will also help hide the rear storage in anticipation of a subwoofer being back there some day, my 06 Kia Rio has already been broken into for such merchandise. . . In what way do they get in the way?

I got a deal on it, paid 36 after shipping and it's aluminum.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:16 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Limo tint. If you have to have a louver, the kind that slip between the glass and the rubber gasket are the best.

I've never seen a "bolt-on" louver that didn't rust the hell out of the hatch where the screws holes are drilled. This is the primary cause of the death for most hatches.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM

Hmm, wondering if a nice gasket or something to seat the screw (making it slightly more permanent) would fix that. .. super glue seems to solve all of my problems!
Old 09-26-2009, 01:38 PM

yah liquid nails that **** bro!. idk. they have screws with gaskets on 'em already, don't know how good they would look/do.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by lww
Limo tint. If you have to have a louver, the kind that slip between the glass and the rubber gasket are the best.

I've never seen a "bolt-on" louver that didn't rust the hell out of the hatch where the screws holes are drilled. This is the primary cause of the death for most hatches.
I know this is an old post but just thought i would add my tidbit for those that may use the "search".......

If you have the kind that slips under the gasket use some clear RTV or some sealant on it!! I have one on mine granted its been on there awhile but water was leaking from the louver being slipped under the rubber, just something to think about because after the vibrations from subs, driving and such it wears on the rubber!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Sealant

What sealant do you recommend? I am going to wait until winter ends to install it, so I am getting everything ready (already applied new heavy duty rubber gaskets to the mounting brackets).
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrprotoplasm
What sealant do you recommend? I am going to wait until winter ends to install it, so I am getting everything ready (already applied new heavy duty rubber gaskets to the mounting brackets).
I just used clear RTV but i had gaps in mine cause it had been on for some time if you have some gaskets on the brackets themselves that may be enough...mine didn't have that and the leak was already formed
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 AM

What does the latch look like at the bottom of the louvers. I have mine but dont have the lower hardware. Any pics? Trying to figure something out to make it work.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Taste My Rainbow

Just dip the screws in clear caulking. That will prevent water getting into the screw holes, thus preventing rust.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM

I believe some are different, but for mine it is a spring loaded bolt latch
Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 PM

you don't screw the mounting brackets in with self tappers or anything, you use these things I like to call rubber rivets, I cant remember there real name. they work the same way as a normal rivet, but you don't use a rivet gun, there rubber with a little bit of threaded bronze or something at the end and when you screw a screw into them, the rubber sandwiches the trunk to the louver hinges, holding the louvers and sealing them, they can be removed as many times as you want and there's no need for caulk, or liquid nails, I have them on my car, and they have been working out great so far, every once in a while i'll check to see if any water is in the trunk lid, and it's always dry as a bone, and I live in the Northwest, a place which is in a constant state of rain.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mrprofile
you don't screw the mounting brackets in with self tappers or anything, you use these things I like to call rubber rivets, I cant remember there real name. they work the same way as a normal rivet, but you don't use a rivet gun, there rubber with a little bit of threaded bronze or something at the end and when you screw a screw into them, the rubber sandwiches the trunk to the louver hinges, holding the louvers and sealing them, they can be removed as many times as you want and there's no need for caulk, or liquid nails, I have them on my car, and they have been working out great so far, every once in a while i'll check to see if any water is in the trunk lid, and it's always dry as a bone, and I live in the Northwest, a place which is in a constant state of rain.
I think what you're thinking of are called Well Nuts.