240Z, 260Z, 280Z V8 Swaps Chevy / Ford / Nissan V8 Motor Swaps

Where is the love?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Hoov for Pres!

Where is the love?

I know, it's easy to bolt in a ton of power with a small block or big block Chevy. But where is all the love for the L24's-L28's?
Where is the imagination?

I like a good healthy V8 as much as the last guy, and I have one. Where it belongs. In my truck.

But, except for 1/4 mile or top speed I don't see the reasoning.
Throw off the balance of the car, make it have more power than it can even use and consume more fuel than it ever thought of doing.

Call me crazy, but the idea of building up the straight 6 sounds like a blast to me.

So let me know next time you want to swap in a V8, cause I would like a doner engine to start building.

Don't worry guys. I forgive you. haha

All in the name of fun. Whatever makes you happy. I just don't get it.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 AM
The Good Twin

Where is the love? All the other parts of the 240-280zx forums ARE for the L Series Motor.... this section is for the V8 conversions.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Hoov for Pres!

I know. We all love them. No matter what we seem to do to them. I was not asking for love in general. Just trying to figure out the phsycology that people have for putting the 350 Chevy V8 into all the vehicles where it does not belong. If you want more power, why not at least keep the same brand in a car? I just want to see a glimpse into the minds of others here that feel it necessary to build a frankenstien of a car.

I figured this could spark an interesting debate if nothing else. =)
Old 09-17-2007, 11:36 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

there is far more support on this site for staying Nissan than there is for going v8. plenty of love.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:42 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Ratfink
I know. We all love them. No matter what we seem to do to them. I was not asking for love in general. Just trying to figure out the phsycology that people have for putting the 350 Chevy V8 into all the vehicles where it does not belong. If you want more power, why not at least keep the same brand in a car? I just want to see a glimpse into the minds of others here that feel it necessary to build a frankenstien of a car.

I figured this could spark an interesting debate if nothing else. =)

Not everyone wants to be limited to the L series motor. To each their own. I totally agree that dropping in a SBC is bastardizing the Z, but it is an easy way to get more power. Hell, I'd throw in an LS2/7 if I had $5k-$10k to blow.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:32 PM
The Evil Twin

go to Hybridz.org and talk to those folks in the V8 section. They would be glad to tell you how they think.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:50 PM

To each his own but I think you will find your statement "Throw off the balance of the car, make it have more power than it can even use and consume more fuel than it ever thought of doing" isn't necessarily true.

Done properly a small block Chevy (SBC) weighs about the same as the Datsun L6. Since it is two cylinders shorter, and the V configuration makes it a lot lower, the conversion (using the JTR method) actually improves the handling of a 240/260/280Z. Installing an SBC changes the weight distribution from 52 front, 48 rear to almost exactly 50-50. The lower mass of the V8 lowers the center of gravity and, since it is now completely behind the front axle, improves the polar moment of the car.

Yes, some people use monster engines but I happen to have a 327 with Tri-Power in my car. With a Camaro T-5 trans and R200 3:70.1 LSD rear axle it turns 2,200 RPM at 75 MPH out on the highway. If I am just cruising around it runs on the center 2bbl and normally gets around 24-27 MPG.

Oh yeah, stomp on it and, with 400 HP, it is very, very fast.

If your are interested in learning more please stop over at http://www.hybridz.org/
Old 09-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Location: Kelowna B.C. Canada,.The Beautiful Okanagan Valley!.,.Canada's "Cali"
My nephew just (last week) sold a '72 with a HO(?) 305/TH350 chebbie in it.
My 2.4 '72 4 gear would Spank the V8 every time.. hence the sale (plus a LOT of rust.) he was choked at his results.
After a trip to the scale, I have recorded a 50/50 split, with myself and almost half a tank of fuel. (1150 KG if anyones interested) 550 front and 550 rear. (not sure where the extra 50 Kg went.. the scale doesnt speak..lol)
With Alum. parts (Int, heads etc.) you could get a small block chev down the 75-80 pounds difference.... but unless that Sb is STOUT.. why bother?
Now, granted.. my 2.4 is pretty radical. it's not yer average 240 street beater.. but it does get beat once in a while....... by a bucketload of money usually.... but a V8?...in MY car? never!!

I now have 4 (or five?) first gen Z's... who know's?.. mebbe one might get a V8.. but it will be a freebie doner engine, that a buddy will prolly produce,.I'd never actually buy one. and it will be a drag race machine only.. no street duty... solid axle etc.

#1 '72 ( my baby....the 'lil "red rocket", as she's affectionatly called around town)
2.4, S/U's, Crane cam, Jhans pistons, slightly massaged E88 head, Manley valves/springs and con.rods,electronic/MSD Ign., 6-1 MSA (old/leaky) header, 2.5 exhaust. I've rebuilt/changed this sweetheart a few times. next season we'll be supercharged! ("SC14" huffer.. 15 pnds) and slicks, to try to hook some of it up!
I've managed as low as a 9.49 in the eighth, but keep in mind,.I'm tearin the tires off, to the finish line...... I dont have slicks right now,..and theres no street rubber thats gonna handle the 250ish Hp I produce now. It "looks" stock, to the untrained eye. which makes for great fun in the parking lot B.S sessions.. hehehe

#2 '70 240Z (grey) #03208 , floor/frame are very rusty.. might try to restore due to low vin. it had to be on the first boatload over... I swear!
#3 '71 240Z (blue) was cheap. came with the '70. rusty, but all there.
#4 '73 240Z (blue) no rust in the floor or frame!!.. might hack the floor for the '70.
#5 '73 240Z (purple!) was an effort (PO) at a '59(?) ferrari vela rossa spyder replica. has a strange hood, and some wierd scoops on the side of the poor thing.. oh, 2.8, triples, huge cam etc. a ton of parts. he says 340Hp at the crank.....ya right! and an old sunroof GLUED into the roof!!... yutz! (p-po)
this one came with 20+ years of spare parts.... truckloads!!

# 2-3-4 are recent buys.. all bought locally (penticton) for 6 hunnerd total. all 3 !! (2 different sellers) last weekend during a drag racin trip.
I'd say I almost have the local market covered.. hehe. mebbe I should start a user friendly Z parts yard up here in Canada.

V8 or no V8. there still a hellova lot of fun! to each thier own.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a present for you...

Here's some love for all of you!

This is why I love S30 Zs, you can do just about anything to them from restored to rat rod.
For cheebie lovers-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVzaQ-Keta0
For L engine lovers-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3DZDLgr0YY
For Nissan lovers-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41-cjlksyM
There is a guy on hybridz.org installing a Titan V8 (5.6 with 340hp na stock) Should make an easy 400 hp corked up.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:26 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer

Yes, some people use monster engines but I happen to have a 327 with Tri-Power in my car. With a Camaro T-5 trans and R200 3:70.1 LSD rear axle it turns 2,200 RPM at 75 MPH out on the highway. If I am just cruising around it runs on the center 2bbl and normally gets around 24-27 MPG.
you have a Ferrari!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 PM

Hi Bleach - Yup, well sort of. This might upset a few purists too - I have a replica of a Ferrari (a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO) built on a 1971 Datsun 240Z chassis.

It was car of the month way back when Z Driver got started and was selected as “Showoff of the Week” on CarDomain.com as well. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/236622

Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Nah. It's cool to see what people do. I just think it's wrong to do crazy engine swaps like that. Keep it brand specific at least. I can handle that. I would not call myself a purist though. Make a car cool. But, I feel that the engine is the heart of the machine, and when it has a transplant from something as basic and run of the mill like a 350GM engine, it's just boring to me. Could'a done better in my opinion. But, I thought this would disturb a few posts around here, and it did. haha
You guys are all cool in my book. So no worries.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 PM
No Club Love

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Where is the love?
WELL I'M RIGHT HERE..no but really i've thought about swaping in a sbf and making a vette killer because, you can build it lighter, more powerful, and well not stock...but as it is with the l6 i have i should be able to handle most all unbuilt v8's. with a few sick *** exceptions.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
WELL I'M RIGHT HERE..no but really i've thought about swaping in a sbf and making a vette killer because, you can build it lighter, more powerful, and well not stock...but as it is with the l6 i have i should be able to handle most all unbuilt v8's. with a few sick *** exceptions.
Check out zhome.com, go to "reported dyno results" and find 5.0 swap. Real good info and specs. A little harder to do because you have to fab up some mounts yourself. I like the Ford sb idea because you can get the engine a little closer to the firewall since the dizzy is in front.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Hoov for Pres!

I have a Windsor engine bored and stroked that would thrash this little Z. Half tempted to do it just to see how wrong it would be. But, I will keep it in my FOrd where it belongs. 500hp, and 500+ft lbs seems like more that I could use in this car. It's way more than I can use in the truck... And the truck is a good thousand pounds heavier.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Just for kicks....If I was ever going to put a V-8 in my Z. To keep it pure, and Nissan. I would put the engine out of the Titan. Otherwise my V-8 belongs in my Firebird, where it should be. he he But if it floats your boat, to slap a American V-8 in your Z. More power to you, just not my thing.

Just figured I would share my views on this. No offense intended, and I am bored. lol
Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM

I have tracked several different 240Zs in differing levels of buildup.

I love the unique sound of the L24 with my triple Weber DCOE45s. It is a quick little whip around the track.

But the Nissan built 240Z is not enough.

So I am putting together a monster-track 240Z with all the trimmings. It is getting a 1964 Corvette 327 with a nice build. I won't bother with the laundry list but lets just say I have squeezed most of the Nissan right out of it to make it a Porsche killer.

Here are some recent build pics.

Why not buy a nicer car? Because the 240Z is great looking and a respectable car to start with. I like a lot of things about the cheap little Datsuns. I like enough about them to make them the base for a truly impressive project car. The buildup is much more satisfying than buying a nicer car already built. It is still much cheaper than building a custom Porsche.

Last edited by bjhines; 12-01-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 PM

I wanted to do the v8 swap because i like American made. Sorry fellas but i was born here, raised here, and know cars from here. chevies are my babies. theres nothin that makes my heart pump penut butter like the sound of a good supercharged chevy v8. But proud or not, 240,260,and 280s are f-ing SWEEEET! then i heard that i could get the best of both worlds. The look and feel of Z with the power, rumble, and familiarity of a chevy v8. man i wanted that. And was damned set on doin it, till my meager military salary kicked me in the butt and said "NO! Bad Airman! Bad!". But an L28ET (yes mines a 280zxT.) aint anything to shake a stick at either. I recognize the L series engines potential, and i love its simplicity. It has been an awsome learning experience owning one of these cars.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:08 PM

Chevy... Chevy... Chevy... Chevy in Ford, Chevy in Dodge, Chevy in Nissan... That's it... time to put a 426 Hemi in a 240z... LOL... or in my 510... NOOOOO, I'll keep my Nissan a Nissan & my Dodge a Dodge...
Old 12-02-2007, 07:27 AM

You will never keep up either.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:14 AM

Hope you have a big gas tank... I had a 70 Dodge Chager with a 440 HP(highway patrol) with 600+hp 650 torque and got 2 gallons per mile LOL... it felt like it... 13 gallons to go about 60 miles... But... boooooooooy oooooooooh booooooooy... it was fun to drive... now that Nissan has a V8, you can take out that SBC and put in the Titan V8
Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 PM

There is no engine Nissan makes that will work in my track car.

The Nissan RB series is out. It is completely the WRONG choice for balance. They are truely impressive engines, but I would never track one and expect it to pay off against the SBC equipped Zs.

The L2(x) engines are durable and impressive for their time, But they are boat anchors and they are far too long as well. The addition of tubos and intercooling pipes make the car even more front heavy than stock. This is TOTALLY the wrong direction to move in the balance.

The VG series is far too bulky and expensive to compete with the tried and true SBC. The overhead cams make the heads HUGE and add to the overall width of the engines. This is also the problem for the FORD Cobra OHC engines. The datsun has a long but narrow engine compartment.

The SBC is readily available in a variety of configurations and they are easy to rebuild and replace. The LS(x) engines are a step up in performance and $$$ but they are still in the same range.

Last edited by bjhines; 12-02-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Hoov for Pres!

How is the RB series a bad engine for balance???
Compared to a SBC?
It actually sits further back than the L series engines, and it's not all that high mounted. Not to mention, I think it's lighter than a SBC.
What did I miss?

And what do you mean bjhines?
A RB26DETT will keep up just fine with your SBC. Unless you throw some real power adders on. It's still Nissan. Not to mention, you can do a lot to that engine, while keeping the stick internals, and make a ton of power.
Cheap? Nah. The conversion would run around 10k. But, you could also make it an AWD car if you wanted.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ratfink
How is the RB series a bad engine for balance???
Compared to a SBC?
It actually sits further back than the L series engines, and it's not all that high mounted. Not to mention, I think it's lighter than a SBC.
What did I miss?

And what do you mean bjhines?
A RB26DETT will keep up just fine with your SBC. Unless you throw some real power adders on. It's still Nissan. Not to mention, you can do a lot to that engine, while keeping the stick internals, and make a ton of power.
Cheap? Nah. The conversion would run around 10k. But, you could also make it an AWD car if you wanted.

You have got to be kidding.... Just look at what you have said. A five year old can look at those 2 packages and tell you which one will tip FORWARDS and FALL OVER.

The Power of the RB engines is fine. You cannot add all that equipment on the front of the car and expect it to handle as well as a better balanced S-30. Have you EVER seen an RB engine on a road race course? They are rare indeed in endurance events. I have seen half a dozen TURBO NISSANS puke their frigging internals THIS YEAR on road race courses. I would not put a turbocharged Nissan through it's paces for more than 10 seconds at a time.

AWD would be wonderful... ON A DIFFERENT CHASSIS!... How do you think AWD is going to affect BALANCE? on the S-30s?

Last edited by bjhines; 12-06-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Compared to the balance of an S30 with a L engine. It may not be better. No.
But, compared to a V8? That is what I meant. I know I said, compared to a L series. It's true. It does sit further back than the L series. But, I was still saying that to compare it to a small block Chevy.
Take the battery, rear mount it. Roll Cage, etc. It can add up to an extremely well balanced car.
I have not heard a whole lot of stories for the RB26DETT pucking it's guts. Not saying it does not happen, but up until now, I hear about how solid they are.
Maybe one might go with a 2JZGTE? But, that would not be Nissan, in a Nissan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the love?