240Z, 260Z, 280Z V8 Swaps Chevy / Ford / Nissan V8 Motor Swaps

LS7 lambo killer

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:58 AM

FWIW - I have a 280Z with an LS1 / T56 combination in it. It is a fully loaded daily driver so it weighs in at a full 3,000 lbs. When I started the conversion the car weigh 1400 lbs on the nose and 1400 lbs. on the tail with 3/4 tank of gas. When I finished it was 1400 on the nose and 1430 on the tail. The extra 170 lbs came from strut tower braces, a 4-pt roll bar and extensive interior and sound system work. When I finished, it weighed 1440 on the nose and 1560 on the tail with a full tank of gas. Also, the driver's weight distributes 3/4 to the rear wheels and 1/4 to the front. All the weights were taken on a certified truck scale.
Yes - the LS7 will mount exactly the same as an LS1 so the JCI and JTR kits can be used to install it.
The LSX Z can be made to handle every bit as well as a Bob Sharp car and will have obviously a lot more HP which will allow throttle steer in the corners.
In a straight line, again if it's configured properly, it can get down into the 10's. Some guys are now starting to push toward the 9's. It's all in how well you sort it out and how much money you have to spend. It will, however, cost you less than a new Z06 or Lambo.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:02 PM
NisTuner

But it's as everyone else said. The main idea is that you can't just throw this engine into your car and expect it to beat out a lamborghini in all aspects. It will require alot of work. Reinforcing the car in all areas, etc. It's no longer your every day Z car with a big engine. It's a drastically modified car and about the only thing that keeps it a Z is the fact that the chassis is still that of a Z. There's really nothing Z about it anymore. You won't have the classic Inline-6, you probably won't have half the luxuries, and a good portion of the car's rear is now taken up by the roll cage. Don't get me wrong. It'd be completely awesome to even have a Z that insane, but it's just not a Z so much. It all really depends on the person. I'd rather build a quick Z that keeps itself relatively similar to what the car started as, and leave the super fast 1/4 and track runs to the newer cars designed to do it with the big HP numbers in mind.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:00 AM

Go to www.cowtownzclub.org and look at the red 280 in the gallery section. That is my car. The only difference between it and an LS7 Z is the the number. Mine has an LS1. It has everything else. I'm sorry - but it sure looks like a 280Z to me even though only "the chassis is still that of a Z". It still seats two people comfortably and has a killer sound system and great AC.
Oh yeah - I forgot to mention - it is my daily driver. It takes me to work and back every day so it is extremely reliable too.

Last edited by Phantom; 03-14-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

yeah, but is it a lambo killer? didnt think so.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Only had a chance to run a Lambourgini once. I beat him - and that was with the LS1, not an LS7 which would be a direct bolt-in replacement. Sorry to disappoint you.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:29 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Phantom
Only had a chance to run a Lambourgini once. I beat him - and that was with the LS1, not an LS7 which would be a direct bolt-in replacement. Sorry to disappoint you.
This your dyno sheet??
Old 03-14-2006, 08:33 AM

Yep - sure was - from two years ago before I made some mods. Thanks for posting it. Sure like how broad that torque curve is.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:41 AM
The Good Twin

Yep - sure was - from two years ago before I made some mods. Thanks for posting it. Sure like how broad that torque curve is.
is that the LS1 or LS7? I thought LS7's were rated @ 400+ hp stock (flywheel).
Old 03-14-2006, 09:06 AM

LS1's were rated form 305 to 405 HP at the flywheel depending on the year and model vehicle they were in. LS2 is rated at 400. LS7 is rated at 505.
My LS1 came from a supposedly 320 HP Z28 but, with K&N intake & headers it mathed out to 365 HP at the flywheel assuming a 15% drivetrain loss. Only thing that really counts though is the wheel HP because that is what is really getting to the road and accounts for all the drivetrain parasitic losses. The LS1's were found in the C-5 Corvette, '98 & newer Camaros & Firebirds, the Cadillac CTS-V, and the new GTO through 2004 or 5. LS2's are found in the C-6 Corvette, the CTS-V, and the GTO. I'm not sure what the Cadillac roadster with the retractable hardtop is running now. It started out with a Northstar but I think they have one with a V-12 coming out? I just don't keep up on all the GM models that much.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Doesn't post much...

Uhembullshituhem... No seriously though... IF you did "Run" a Lamborghini, then I am assuming you're talking about a 1/4 mile drag race... BFD!

Get over yourself now... There's only about a thousand other cars that will take out most Lambo's in a drag race...

Funny thing about Lambos most dipshits don't know... THEY ARE NOT A DRAG RACING CAR FOR CHRISTS SAKE AND THAT IS NOT WHAT THE CRUX OF THIS THREAD IS... PULL YOUR HEAD OUT ALREADY.

Chase that same Lambo through a nice twisty mountain road and you'll most likely die trying to keep up

That would make him the lambo-killer... get it? killed by a Lambo?

ARGH! If you want to argue a point in the future, try arguing the same one that the thread is based on ok?

Rod.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 AM

What amazes me is the tremendous effort everyone is making to claim that there is no way the Z car can be modified to run with a Lambo. The resistance to even think that it could be done is incredulous! Does it require extreme measures? Yes it does. Would the Z then be able to stand up to a similarly modified Lambo - not a chance. Could the Z run a flying mile against it - not a chance - the S30 just doesn't have the aerodynamics to get the job done. Not sure about the Z32 or 33. I know too many people that have Z's that could run on a road course with a Lambo heads up. I know a guy who ran a Datsun 510 heads up against a group of modified Vipers. Heck, I ran on the combined infield & oval course at Texas Motor Speedway against a Ferarri Testarossa 512. Did he beat me - he sure did! But I had stock Z brakes and suspension at the time. Would better brakes and suspension made the difference? Nope - the driver of the car way outclassed me - but he would have had to work a lot harder. If I'd had an LS7 in the car - probably not then either because the Ferarri dirver was the better driver.
Heck, I know what you mean about drag racing - my son beat a Diablo in a stock '83 Sentra. The Diablo driver stalled on the launch. But then a victory is a victory - isn't it? I'll bet you'd tell your buddies about beating another hot car even if the driver screwed up and missed a shift or a corner - right?

Last edited by Phantom; 03-14-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
The Good Twin

Heck, I know what you mean about drag racing - my son beat a Diablo in a stock '83 Sentra. The Diablo driver stalled on the launch. But then a victory is a victory - isn't it? I'll bet you'd tell your buddies about beating another hot car even if the driver screwed up and missed a shift or a corner - right?
I think your S30 is quite a site, and I'm sure it's nuts to drive, and I totally respect your work, but I think along the lines of what Rod was saying... All of what you just said, sounds just like what the teenage ricers say these days... which gets annoying really really fast. "I beat a Corvette!" "I beat a Viper!" "I can go 200mph in my Civic!" "I can outrun any car out there"

It's just comments like that, that makes sports car enthusiasts want to jump all over ya.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

good job. drag race. whoopeeeee. that does not make it a lambo killer. i know this has already been covered, but what i meant by lambo killer is something that could hang in all aspects with the lambo, including comfort. i'm sure your car is a beast, but it cannot compare to the lambo. sorry to dissapoint you.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:52 PM

I think the point here is a Z in stock or mildly modded, or hell, even heavily moddified form can not hang with a lamborghini. This is true beyond a shadow of a doubt. Of course if you figure the amount of work and money into the Z to put it at par or possibly above the lambo then it would cease to even be a Z. The body may still slightly ressemble a Z but that doesn't make it a Z. And now we're talking a full on race vehicle instead of a Z that was originally designed for the street. Meanwhile homeboy in the Lamborghini is still laughing, whether he loses or not, cause he had his air conditioning on in his all leather cabin bumping his stereo while sitting comfortably next to two hot supermodels crammed into his one passenger seat while you're sitting in a puddle of sweat by yourself picking up all the teeth your suspension rattled out of your mouth so even if you did win you wouldn't want to laugh with your now ugly mug

I'll take a lamborghini before I ever dreamed of making a Z that could compete with one. I'll keep aiming for SS's and Cobras for now

Last edited by jfairladyz; 03-14-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Doesn't post much...

^ What a great way to put it!

Rod.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31
yeah, but is it a lambo killer? didnt think so.
My Festiva can kill a lambo,I think my Z will kill both easy.

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....2-8A06AD790279
Old 06-15-2006, 01:33 PM

I am right now installing a 383 stroaker 460 HP v8 into my 280Z with Ferrari body. Light and fast Just hope the crappy Z brakes can stop it. I'll let ya'll know.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:07 AM

i have read most of what everyone has said and i think that you can make a "lambo killer" out of a z/ zx its all about the money!!!!!!!!!!! I have been working on my friends 240z scca (I.T.S) race car for about 3years and if we repainted it (to make it look like a street car again) and put a ls7 in it i would smoke a lambo (not 1/4mile on a track) what he did to all the suspention is they took out the oem parts and remade them into tube alumium parts (so there are lighter and stronger) he has put 10's of thousands of dollars into it but its still a z and is still a una-body z. there are pics of the car in the gallary if any of you dont beleive me its not hard to do just takes time and money!!!!!!!!!!!
but why would you do this to a z go buy a lambo if that is what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by nick's81240zx; 07-17-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Doesn't post much...

^... And after all of that...

Sorry, It's still NOT a Lambo Killer.

Ask yourself this question:

If you rolled up to a group of hot supermodel looking chicks outside a club in a 240Z or a Lambo... Which car would give you the best bet at even getting one of them to talk to you?

Case closed.

Next issue please.

Rod.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:18 AM
ダットサンマニアック

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
^... And after all of that...

Sorry, It's still NOT a Lambo Killer.

Ask yourself this question:

If you rolled up to a group of hot supermodel looking chicks outside a club in a 240Z or a Lambo... Which car would give you the best bet at even getting one of them to talk to you?

Case closed.

Next issue please.

Rod.

What he said...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:07 PM

If it's a clean 240Z, they might think it's a vintage Ferrari. What do supermodels chicks know
Old 07-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

Usually super models chick now nothing about cars so i wouldent be suprised.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

Hey when you guys mean a z car can never beat a lambo do you mean just the S30?

Last edited by BlackCrow; 07-19-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM

woo hoo, dead thread! Posty McPosty Post. I am really glad i wasn't around for the time this thread would have held a spot on the front page.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Pr0n Addict

lol digging up some old stuff on this fine friday night j?

Quick Reply: LS7 lambo killer