240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

yo yo hakusho lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 08:28 PM
Externally Wastegated

Re: yo yo hakusho lol

A Datsun is a pretty good car to learn on as long you got someone to help you out. There's a ton of engine space to fit your hands in and not too much wiring, unlike some of the newer cars on the market. If you're going to buy a Datsun, look out for rust. Depending on what model, but most seem to have it in the fenderwell and floorboards. zhome.com will provide you some good info on what to look out for. Good luck finding a Datsun and have fun.
82ZXT

Old 09-09-2002, 08:50 PM
Externally Wastegated

Re: yo yo hakusho lol

Rust, it's pretty common on Datsuns, especially on the first generation Z's and on the 510. I have a 510 too, and that car had a little rust on the fenderwells, and in the trunk where your spare tire would go. On my ZX, it was pretty much rust free when I bought it, except for a little by the metal tow hooks on the front and rear, and in the spare tire compartment. Nothing bad though. Just beware of the ones that have holes or so much rust that you have to get a new body part, or weld in a new sheetmetal. It's not fun to do that if you're just starting out. Floorboards are a main concern too. Look there because a buddy of mine bought a Z and didn't check it, and now he has what we called the "Flinstone mobile". Take your time looking at the car, and ask someone who knows Datsuns in your area to help you out, more than likely they'll be glad to.
82ZXT