240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

What should I ditch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 PM

What should I ditch?

So, even though Nismo tried mightily to find a place in SLC willing to do my fenders (many many thanks) I ended up driving Sylvia home to Casper, where I have a shop finishing up the fenders now - she should be ready to go by Friday. Anyhow, I was already planning on tossing the heavy 280Z bumpers for a dam of some sort, and I got to wondering where else can I shave weight off the car? What parts can I toss, replace with lighter components, or modify to save weight without a corresponding loss of performance? Not too extreme, now - I won't be tossing the seats, cutting holes in the frame, going doorless, or anything like that.

By the way, I took the front bumper off today to see how it would look and drive, even though I don't have a dam yet. Looks pretty sweet, like a shark's grin! I'll post pics soon.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 AM

Air conditioning, power steering, carbon fiber hood/hatch, lexan glass, Lightweight driveshaft, remove all interior panels, dash, spare tire, jack, air cannister, speakers, deck, carpet, sound deadening material, power windows, locks, and mirrors, etc etc.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 AM
The Good Twin

Glad ya made it home safe! Now let the Z times roll!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Thanks! I just dropped her off at the shop this morning to have the fenders installed (they spent yesterday fixing the storage wear and getting the primer coat on). She should be ready to roll on Friday.

Air conditioning - I've got a black interior, and I drive it during the summer in Wyoming, where it's regularly 90+ during the day. AC stays.

Power steering, locks, seats, windows, mirrors - Don't have any of the above, so I'm good there!

Spare tire/jack/air cannister - All gone!

Speakers, stereo, dash, carpet, sound deadening material - They'll stay. This is my cruising car.

Carbon-fiber hood/hatch, Lexan, driveshaft - Good ideas. I'll look into those.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

ebay hoods dont fit the z well. a couple websites that sell fiberglass hoods and hatches. lexan windows? u will need a driveshaft unless you plan to get a aluminum. you will need locks,seats,mirrors,and windows. with the spare tire gone i hope u have aaa or a canister of fix a tire. but why worry about taking off weight. unless u can take around 100lbs its really not worth it. instead of worrying about weight savings just make more power
Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 PM

Also, I forgot to mention lighter rims. Lighter unsprung mass FTW!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:55 PM

I know you said

"you wont be tossing the seats" but 1 piece racing seats will save you about 30 lbs. each.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Ruff Ryder

you can save another 10 pounds or so by cutting out dome of the dash frame..
Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 PM

how much are the front and rear bumpers worth togther?
also after droping my ac pump and well entire system i noticed the front end is more prone to lifting at around 110
the aluminum driveshaft though, thats worth weight and torque, on average how much they run?
maybe back it up with an aluminum flywhele? any idea on price/weight and oem whele weight.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

Originally Posted by Cronicus
how much are the front and rear bumpers worth togther?
also after droping my ac pump and well entire system i noticed the front end is more prone to lifting at around 110
the aluminum driveshaft though, thats worth weight and torque, on average how much they run?
maybe back it up with an aluminum flywhele? any idea on price/weight and oem whele weight.

the bumpers dont weigh as much as people make them out to be. alum flywheel is a good upgrade but u will be dropping the tranny. you should also replace the clutch. what wheels do u have on your z? what are your plans for the z?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Ruff Ryder

dont forget to gut the doors..
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 AM

I'd say my 83 bumper including absorbers maybe weigh circa 25 pounds. I'll weigh one tomorrow if you would like.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM

260zturbo: I know I need locks, seats, mirrors, windows, and a driveshaft. What I meant was I don't have power locks, seats, mirrors, or windows. As for the driveshaft, I meant a lightweight (i.e. aluminum) driveshaft was a good idea.

Like I said, there's no way I'm ditching the AC on mine. It's just too hot on long drives in the summer here. As for bumpers, I'd estimate that the front bumper and shock absorbers from my '78 weigh about 40 lbs total. Anyone know who makes good light racing seats for the 280Z?

hoov100: What should I cut out of the dash frame to save 10 lbs, and still have a dash that looks good? And what can I remove from the doors that won't hamper their look and function?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

s30 dont have power anything as far as light weight seat you can try maybe a miata or 240sx seat. their are some great name brands like corbeau but they can be heavy.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:30 PM

IVE HAD BIG PLANS FOR MY 280
except rust has yeilded almost all of it.
im debating on selling it and buying a zx
hopefully less rust and going from there.
otherwise i wanted to drop a zx motor in my z and bolt it out pretty much.
the problem is ive got a pos ford tempo bolted out that is deadfully close to beating the z, speed perticurlaly accleration is my hook.
ill put money into the faster car.
ive yeilded on buying headers better clutch kit etc until i figure out what im goign to do.
comon sence tells me to ditch the rust bucket and get a zx
but i reallly like it, although every bushing is gone its needs new everything on the suspension and blow by is more than id perfer.
either way im hooked on z's
Old 08-21-2007, 02:07 PM

I picked up a 1975 280Z for $400. It sat in a field for three years. It has rust holes you could throw a ball through! (both front fenders!). I don't think it's running on all 6 cylinders! It did not pass NM emissions! All the bushing need to be replaced, the wiring is F----d! I had to wire my tail lights into the rear window defroster so I can drive it at night. Overall, it's a complete piece os S--T! But I love love driving it!!! The front end shakes at 40 MPH, the *** end vibrates around 70 mph! You can't imagine the joy of hydroplanning at 65mph around a corner until you try it. It's my first Z, and I don't care what people think! I LOVE THIS RIDE!!! By the way, the "Book" says the bumpers weigh 36 Lbs each! I took the front off. When I get a camera Ill post pics!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:12 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

1975?? emissions??? wow. anything over 25 years here is exempt.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:41 PM

hey yogi.... i see your car is about as bad as mine lol.
i see your from albuquerque to
maybe we can meet up and see what r rust buckets can do
shoot me an email cronicus2@hotmail.com
Old 08-26-2007, 06:56 PM

Hey, out here in Wyoming we have no emissions requirements AT ALL. Or inspections, or even mandatory rear seatbelt use (the law only specifies that people in the front seats need seatbelts). Hell, I saw a car out here with no hood, no doors, one headlight, and a massive column of black smoke driving downtown.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Wow $400 for a rust bucket? How come i can't sell my rust free 78 for $500???

oh and some guys on hybrid z are making fiberglass door panels you should check out.

Last edited by skittle; 08-27-2007 at 02:41 PM.