240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:31 PM

What is this?

"As all of us who own a first generation car know; exhaust fumes in the cabin ranks right up there with steering wheel shake above 50 MPH. We'll experience it at least once and go to a lot of trouble chasing it down. Once again a design, fit and finish issue which gets to the meat of this ramble. The factory should have installed a screen between the inside of the deck lid and the trim panel, but didn't. You have, or should have, one on each door why not on the deck lid? After all, that's the area where most if not all of the exhaust fume problems originate. What's a screen? It's a sheet of plastic shower stall liner type material attached to the inside of the doors (between the door and the door panel) with 3M Strip Caulk. If you're pulling out your hair trying to find the source of that stink give this retrofit a try"

I found this on the MD Z Car Club Website. I was wondering where the deck lid is located and what trim panel is being discussed? Please assist. Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:55 PM
User Friendly

Re: What is this?

Originally posted by BaltimoreZ
I found this on the MD Z Car Club Website. I was wondering where the deck lid is located and what trim panel is being discussed? Please assist. Thanks again.
Deck lid = 3rd door (rear hatch lid). I agree with you -- the author isn't very specific on where the exhaust fumes are a problem. However, it appears he's referring to the "shower type plastic" located behind the door panels, as an example to duplicating that into the rear interior panels. The exhaust fumes he's referring to would enter from either the hatch area (between the panel attached to the hatch itself) and/or the rear panel which sits in front of the tail light area. I purchased the plastic from Jo Ann's (a fabric store) -- very inexpensive and easy to install (I used silicone, using a caulking gun, to attach mine). Also, if the rubber seal around the hatch area is severely cracked or loose, exhaust fumes could enter there as well, and should be replaced if necessary.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:45 AM

He was specifically referring to the series I cars (I think) with the hatch vents. In the series II cars these were moved to the pillars. These vents were designed as fresh air vents for air circulation through the passenger compartment. Sealing them would change the air flow of the passenger compartment...however, I personally am tired of smelling like exhaust every time I drive my Z so I may do this and see if it helps.

What good would an exhaust tip do? I have them on my car and still stink of exhaust everytime I drive the car. Here's a pic to show you what mine look like.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:47 PM

Thanks Guys (and Gal)
I will work on this this weekend!! I'll let you know how it turns out. There is already a tip on the exhaust, it makes it sound very loud, I may take this off though.

Terry
Old 11-09-2003, 02:17 PM
I have a present for you...

There is also a rubber body plug located under the radio antenna, right above the muffler which is often over looked. Instead of buying the kit for the rear hatch I bought rubber weather strip seal from McMaster Carr sales. You can buy it by the foot. If anyone wants to save $100 I'll see if I can dig up the part #. It gives a tight fit to seal out fumes and you can't tell it from stock unless you look very close. Very easy to install with great results.