240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

turbo noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 02:31 PM
Dead

turbo noise

The weather was finally good enough for me to go out and drive my Z. I did a ton of mods to it this winter and one of them was a new intercooler (shown in my profile). Now, whenever I give it more than 3/4 throttle and let off to shift, I hear a funny noise that sounds like moving air causing something to flap back and forth fairly fast. It didn't do this before I put the intercooler on and only does it with the intercooler installed. I know this because I disconnected it to see if it was causing the noise. Let me know if any of you guys have heard of this before.
-jeremy-

Old 03-25-2002, 03:19 PM
Externally Wastegated

Re: turbo noise

Is it like a fluttering noise? Do you have a compressor bypass valve installed that's plumbed back into the intake? A bypass valve would make that noise, and if you don't have either a bypass or bov installed, then the noise you're hearing is compressor surge. You probably didn't hear it before (assuming the intake pipe to the turbo was still the stock rubber) because the rubber insulated the noise, but since you have an intercooler and metal piping (again assumed), the metal amplifies the sound (kinda like intakes on n/a cars like hondas). I could hear the fluttering on my car when I had a cone filter installed and put my ear next to it, but now that I gotta bov, I don't hear it at all. Hope this helps.
82ZXT

Old 03-27-2002, 01:28 PM

a pop off valve and a blow off valve are 2 totally diferent things... a pop off valve is a saftey device made to "pop off" when the turbo over boosts.. a blow off valve only opens between shifts so the turbo doesn't stall therefore illiminating turbo lag.. there are no-such factory device... the turbo came with a pop-off valve that "poped off" at about 9psi to run any more than that you iether have to illiminate it or add stiffer springs... most people take it out and put in a pipe plug..

Old 03-28-2002, 06:54 PM
Dead

yes, that is totally correct. The stock setup is only to protect the engine in case of a wastegate failure. It will NOT realease boost pressure during shifts because it is on the wrong side of the throttle body. Now, back to my problem. The fluttering noise that I hear isn't just at full throttle when I shift. It will flutter at half throttle, no boost during a shift. The more boost during a shift, the more flapping noise. So, if I get a blow off valve, is won't fix the problem when there is no boost built up, thus the noise would still be there. Any more ideas?
-jeremy-

Old 03-29-2002, 12:46 AM

exhaust? maybe something on your air filter

Old 03-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Externally Wastegated

How close is your boost gauge reading towards the 0 on the positive boost side? I used to own a Silvia in Japan, and at half throttle if the boost gauge needle was near the 0 mark, and I let off the throttle, it would flutter. If your gauge is below that, say at 10 in/vacuum or so and still making the noise, I really don't know what is making the noise then. Maybe the flap on the AFM is loose?
82 ZXT

Old 03-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Dead

Yes, I am still using the stock AFM, but there is no way for unfiltered air to enter the engine. I have a K&N filter attached right onto the inlet of the AFM with a 3" hose going straight to the inlet of the turbo. There isn't really any place for it too leak. Now, how do these BOV recirculating systems work? I was under the understanding that the BOV would only vent air if the boost pressure is higher than it is supposed to be (i.e. during a shift, when the compressor is still pumping and the throttle is slammed shut, creating surges) I have the fluttering noise during shifts even when there is no boost, but vaccum is 0. I am using a Autometer boost gauge so it should be accurate on boost levels and vacuum readings. I don't think that it would be the AFM flapping, because the noise goes away with the intercooler disconnected and the stock "U" pipe hooked up. This has me really fooled!!
-jeremy-

Old 03-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Externally Wastegated

Re: turbo noise ( kinda long)

I think you have the bov mixed up with a wastegate. Wastegates vent off excess boost to keep a car from the boost spiking, a bov vents off the boost to protect the compressor from surge, like when the throttle is shut off. When the throttle is shut, you create vacuum which opens the bov and releases that air. A wastegate opens when there is enough boost to force open the gate to prevent any more boost from occuring so if the spring is set at 6 psi, it opens at 6psi to prevent any higher than 6. If there is no bov, then the air that needs be vented just slams into the turbo and makes that sound you hear. If you are going to hook up a bov and recirculate it, just weld one on the intercooler piping and route a line from the vent of the bov to the intake tract after the AFM and you should be fine. The reason you get fluttering w/o boost at a 0 reading is that the turbo is sorta in a "prespool". You'll probably here it whistling slightly in that range. Don't worry though, surge isn't a problem for the turbo unless it's over 5 or 6 psi. Hope this clears up any confusion.
82ZXT

Old 03-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Dead

hmm.... 5 to 6 psi is really slow. Is it going to damage my turbo with this surging noise? If this is going to pose a big problem, then I am going to definatly plumb in the BOV. Thanks for you input.
-jeremy-

Old 04-02-2002, 01:01 AM
Externally Wastegated

The surging will damage the turbo over time, can't really say how much life it will cut from it or how bad the damgage will be, but surging at 10psi isn't the best thing for a turbo. It would be good to have a bov plumbed in, it's cheap insurance against a time consuming rebuild.
82ZXT

Old 04-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Dead

If anything, the noise is really annoying, so I am going to plumb in a BOV anyway. I have been looking around and the prices for those things are outrageous. It is just a large valve with a diaphram on top. Have any of you guys found a cheap valve somewhere other than the usual GReddy or HKS overprices stuff? Thanks for the info.
-jeremy-

Old 11-18-2002, 08:42 PM
Dead

When I installed the intercooler, I also up graded the turbo at the same time. Along with that, I changed out the tranny to the T5, which has a lower first gear. With all of that, I didn't notice any difference in lag, and did notice the benifits of the lower first gear, ie. quicker accel from stand still. As the motor sits now, it is a detuned beast waiting for more fuel. I'm still gathering the money for a haltech unit and to take out all of the stock Nissan crap computer. My plans are for coil on plug ignition and sequential fire injection with much bigger injectors. I'm hoping for around 18 psi of boost when I am done. Thanks for the tip on the heat shield (already had plans for that too after adding the haltech).
-jeremy-