240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

No pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 08:30 AM

I agree with allmyzs. Sounds like you have a clog in the fuel line. You could try using a coat hanger as a 'feeler' to see if you can feel the clog. With any luck you'll be able to find the clog this way.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:14 AM

no pressure

Its not unusual for a Z to start after long years, they are great feats of engineering, but I think you probably sucked up junk that was sitting in the bottom of the tank.
As you noted there are two lines, the top on being the fuel return line which rarely if ever clogs.

The bottom line is the work horse, you can't blow it backward because the fuel dampener and the fuel pump itself won't allow reverse flow. Thats the good news! The work begins with draining the tank, theres a large plug on the bottom of the tank. Drain it out and look for debris. If you have alot you need to flush out the tank and will probably need to remove the sending unit to clean out the gas pick up tube and it's screen. Its a chore but remember you won't have to do it again if you keep the tank clean.

Since you are under the car at this point you can change out the fuel lines and save a hassle later. See other postings about fuel lines (their are not your grandfathers Ford style)

DO NOT EVER, FOR ANY REASON, introduce acetone or any other solvent into the fuel sytem or for that matter coat hangers!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Z tech- Dude, the coat hanger is to be used as a feeler in the fuel line. He wouldn't be "introducing" it into the fuel system. It may help the guy find his clog. I didn't think I needed to explain that he wouldn't want to leave it in the fuel line. Hopefully he had enough common sense to remove it. It won't harm anything. You sound like a dentist when they say don't ever put sharp metal objects in your mouth. What's the 1st thing do?....They stick a sharp metal object in your mouth.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:37 PM

no pressure

If you have already pulled the tank, it takes about two minutes to pull the sending unit and have access to the pickup screen.

I had the unfortunate experience of recieving a tankful of sand that came with the gasoline I was buying, seems the storage tank collapsed and sand got into the pumps, Since that time I like keeping the primary screen at the beginning of the pickup tube for safety reasons.

Destruction of the screen would allow any foreign material to enter the fuelpump and they are too expensive for me to take the chance.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Z tech- Dude, the coat hanger is to be used as a feeler in the fuel line. He wouldn't be "introducing" it into the fuel system. It may help the guy find his clog. I didn't think I needed to explain that he wouldn't want to leave it in the fuel line. Hopefully he had enough common sense to remove it. It won't harm anything. You sound like a dentist when they say don't ever put sharp metal objects in your mouth. What's the 1st thing do?....They stick a sharp metal object in your mouth.
Almost all the metal coat hangers I've ever seen are painted. Should paint chip off the possiblity of its finding its way into an injector is very real.

The possiblity of foreign matter finding its way past the fuel pump and dampner is, well, not a reality. Objects the size if 1.5mm or larger are large enough to stop the fuelpump and certainly not large enough to plug the fuel line.

I believe my suspecting a clogged screen in the fuel tank to be the most likely
candidate.

The difference between a dentist and the rest of us is that the dentist has training and education as to where the sharp object goes.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Z*Tech
The difference between a dentist and the rest of us is that the dentist has training and education as to where the sharp object goes.
We've all been to dentists that cause you to wonder if they went to school at all.

Pretty much anything can happen when a car sits for that long. I do agree with you on the clogged screen idea though.