240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New to the Z.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 PM

New to the Z.

Hello,

I picked up my first Z a couple days ago as a DD. Always wanted one since high school, but was waiting for the right time. Finally realized there isn't a "right" time, so I found me one. It's a 1978 280z with 60k miles and a 5-speed tranny. The body and interior are in great shape, but there are some things that concern me. The driver pan is good, but the passenger side floor pan is shot ( I know these are notorious for rust), there seems to be a considerable amount of slack in the rear end, I have to stand on the brake to get it to stop, and there's a hang in the throttle when taking off. Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of driving a 35 year old car, but are these things normal for the Z's? Am I just conditioned to driving my Audi?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails New to the Z.-280z.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

No... the brakes should act and feel like any other car. Have you checked the brakes? Front and rear? Brake fluid level, color? Ya know, the basics...
Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM

Checked the motor oil then drove it home and it's been sitting there since. Haven't had the chance to thoroughly go over it. I'm off tomorrow and plan on covering it with a fine tooth comb. Kinda scared to see what I find. But yeah I've never owned a car with drum brakes so I thought maybe it was typical. I also noticed the heavier you get on the brake, the more I get a shimmy in the back. Also, is slack in the rear end normal?

Last edited by licketysplit; 10-09-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by licketysplit
Also, is slack in the rear end normal?
No. See my above comment which is still applicable: The Z is not a UFO. Any abnormal "scary" or "uncontrolled" feeling for any car is not normal. Inspect car. If the car TRULY has 60k miles, it's been sitting for a long time. Bushings and other things are probably rotting. If you don't feel comfortable spotting / inspecting potential problem areas, take it to a local Euro or Japanese shop and have them inspect it for you.

EDIT...

For simplicity's sake, start with checking lug tightness... loose lugs will definitely give a rear side-to-side loose feeling.

Last edited by NismoPick; 10-10-2013 at 10:49 AM.