240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New and Need Help!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 AM

New and Need Help!

A couple friends and I went and picked up a 1975 280Z for an ok price that we plan to use in the LeMons races. In the end we got the car w/engine and tranny included. We also got an extra engine (6 cylinder) from a similar year, a maxima head, extra 4 speed tranny, extra 5 speed tranny thats slightly newer, pistons from a third engine, extra hood that's slightly newer and a set of carbs. Currently the car doens't start or even try to start with the key. If you cross it at the engine it trys to start, but wont start. I'm thinking the clutch assembly has some issues (pedal seems to just float, no resistance) that is keeping it from unlocking at the key. Not sure what is keeping it from actually starting, but it does turn freely. We have rust in the frame, enough that we plan on welding some new steel in to make everything solid. It doesn't have to look pretty, but it does have to go. What are the areas of the car I should worry about? What are the extra parts we got listed above worth if they're in decent condition? What can we take off the car that someone would want to buy to off-set the price of the car? Interior is trash, but gauges are in good condition, outside trim is good, windows are good (no cracks). The system that rolls up the windows and handls are good. We're going carbortated so the entire fuel injection system is coming off. I have no experience with these cars so not sure what is a dime a dozen part, or what is a part that someone might actually want (I have been involved with mostly Ford mustangs in the past). Also, if anyone has a header, or some other go fast part that they might want trade for something extra we have let me know! Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread