240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New member - my new ride - 1970 240Z Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 AM

New member - my new ride - 1970 240Z Turbo!

Hey Guys!!!

So PROUD to be part of this formun and to be an owner of a Z now!

Here is the breakdown from the guy that built her and sold her to me, LUCKY ME!!

This car is the culmination of 2 1/2 years of work restoring this 1970 240Z, with every major modification being a direct bolt on from another Datsun Z-car, keeping it all in the family. I started with the 1970 body for its collect-ability and light weight. The engine is from a 1982 280ZX turbo, which is the best and most powerful iteration of the L6 motor. 5-speed transmission from a 1983 280ZX NA. Differential is the highly sought after R200 limited slip from a low mile 1988 300ZX turbo. Wheels are the 15 inch "snowflake" wheels from a 1981 280ZX turbo. Gas tank from a 1975 280ZX (fuel injected). Further details:

The engine is from a garage queen 280ZX turbo with auto transmission and 119K miles and has always used synthetic oil since break-in. The engine runs great and smooth and is very powerful. It always starts right up, even when cold, and has perfect compression. I tested the compression this weekend on 7/13/12 and is 141, 140, 140, 141, 141, 141 from cylinders 1-6, respectively. The engine has never been opened up but I did clean and de-grease everything and painted the block with black POR-15 when it was transplanted. Manifold and valve cover gaskets were replaced as well as the water pump. Recent tune-up with new spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. Recent new injector and cylinder temp sensor connectors (the nicer quick-disconnect type.) Motor is currently running stock boost but can easily be increased for more power with a boost controller and intercooler. I will include an NPR intercooler and enough bends to install it at the buy-it-now price. This intercooler is an ideal size for the 240Z. I had plans to install it at some point, but the car is already very fast and I was satisfied with it's current power level. I kept the factory oil-cooler as well to keep the turbo bearings nice and cool.

Exhaust starts with a 2.5 inch stainless steel downpipe (from ScottieGNZ) and expands off of that to a 3 inch, fully mandrel bent exhaust ending at a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler. The intake and exhaust is very open helping the turbo to spool extremely quickly but is not too loud and sounds lovely at full throttle.

On the back of the motor is a light weight aluminum flywheel and SPEC stage 3 clutch, machine balanced as a unit. The stage 3 clutch has a sprung-hub 4-puck disc which grabs great but is still very smooth and streetable with stock pedal effort. The 5-speed transmission was rebuilt before it was installed and shifts smoothly with no issues. Clutch hydraulics (master/slave cylinders) are new.

The limited-slip differential is from a low-mile (90K) 300zx turbo with auto tranny. It is in great shape and really helps to get the power to the ground and stabilize the car when accelerating out of turns. A very nice upgrade for such a light car with this much power. The mounting "mustache bar" is fitted with urethane bushings and the nose of the diff is held down with a custom steel strap that keeps the drive train in place and eliminates the common "rear end clunk" found on so many classic z-cars.

The body was stripped to bare metal and primed and painted in 2002 Jaguar British Racing Green with high-quality materials. Chrome is in good shape on the bumpers and trim. All emblems are brand new OEM Nissan. Front urethane air dam has been added for high-speed stability, but otherwise, the exterior is stock. Interior has been fully restored as well and is in excellent condition. New carpet kit, new half dash-cap, new weatherstripping all around including the glass seals and a new front windshield. There is on small tear on the driver's seat where I put my hand through a seam when I was detailing the interior (Aarghhh!), other than that, seats are excellent. I believe they are from a 1978 280Z. All interior vinyl is in good condition and the shift boot and **** are new. All gauges and lights work as they should.

Brakes have been completely rebuilt with all new hydraulics (master cylinder, new front calipers and real wheel cylinders). New pads and shoes all around with newly machined discs and drums. Suspension includes new Bilstein Blues shocks all around with stiffer/lower springs and larger front sway bar. The car handles great but is still very comfortable to drive on the street. Wheels are from a 280ZX turbo and have been bead blasted and refinished in a high quality base coat/satin clear. Tires are Yokahama AVS in great shape with 95% tread left.

I personally built this car and honestly never thought I would sell it. Most of the restoration was completed by 2005 and the car has always been garaged since and only driven sparingly in nice weather. Unfortunately for me, my current situation prevents me from enjoying the car like it should be enjoyed so I have reluctantly come to the decision to put her up for sale. I set out to build my dream 240Z and I feel like I succeeded. This is an amazing and complete car that needs nothing and I know it will bring another Z-lover great joy to own and drive her.

I'm sure I am forgetting some things but I have personally installed basically every nut and bolt on this car so please let me know if you have any questions and I should be able to answer them. Please check my feedback score and thanks for looking!

The pics!

Name:  Right-1.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  Right-2.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  EngineLeft.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  152.6 KB

Name:  Dash2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  Dash2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  Left-1.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  LSD2.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  62.1 KB

240Z Turbo :: VIDEO0038.mp4 video by jazzr691 - Photobucket

240Z Turbo :: MVI_1836.mp4 video by jazzr691 - Photobucket

Let me know what y'all think!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dash2.jpg (96.6 KB, 104 views)
Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Wow is right... that is gorgeous!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Very sweet, I agree with Nismo very beautiful car, I'd say you achieved your goal in the restoration, sad that you have to sell her, I'm sure that wasn't an easy decision. Like parting with a loved one. Cheers and the end result !!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Political n00b crusher

Magnificent!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:07 PM

Great find and lucky man.. congratulations! How much did u pick her up for?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Very sweet, I agree with Nismo very beautiful car, I'd say you achieved your goal in the restoration, sad that you have to sell her, I'm sure that wasn't an easy decision. Like parting with a loved one. Cheers and the end result !!
I didn't restore her, another wonderful guy that I meet online and purchased from his eBay listing did all the lengthy back breaking work. I just did a quick copy/paste from his descriptors of the restoration.

I feel EXTREMELY lucky to pick up such a wonderful gem!

I picked her up for 14k. He included an intercooler (to install if I decide to pump up the boost on the Turbo) and all sorts of Z parts - to which I will start to sell off, so look out for those parts on sale here or on eBay guys!

I feel really bad for this guy (such a nice, COOL guy) that had to let her go, but she def found a home where she will be PAMPERED!!!

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

I'll have to start digging into this forum and ask the guy I purchased her from as well - but it looks like the rear lights aren't working. Not sure how big of a deal it is to get the brake lamps back up and running. I'll have to check the bulbs first (haven't done that yet), but guessing it *might* not be that since nether the left or right brake lamps come on when the lights are on, and do not illuminate when the brakes are pressed. I wonder if that's a common problem with these 40 year old cars...doubtful, probably just something specific with this particular girl, but let me know if not guys...

Looking forward to driving her on clear Fridays to work and back and maybe to go get groceries from time to time, lol.

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Thanks for catching my goof, to bad for the previous owner, she really is a Gem. Grats on the find
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM

^ Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Hey Guys, I'm going to search, I promise, but can anyone quickly tell me why my turbo engine looks so different from the attached...I'm wondering why my manifold is so drastically different:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...2/IMG_0768.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...EngineLeft.jpg

Sorry - I'm so brand spanking new to these cars and engines - so flame away if you feel the need. LOL

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
Attached Thumbnails New member - my new ride - 1970 240Z Turbo!-engineleft.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 AM

Its most likely because yours looks like its a mostly stock turbo engine and it has all the factory redundant vacuum lines. theres a write up on here that can show you how to remove and reroute all the redundant, uneccessary vacuum emissions. The other one has abunch of the lines removed and rerouted along with what might even be an aftermarket intake manifold.

However, I wouldnt remove or reroute stuff unless you're confident you know what you're doing or you're having a bunch of vacuum/emissions/starting problems.

And you are correct, these guys will tear you a new one if you don't search for stuff haha.

Actually i found it, heres the link:
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...anifold-19937/

Last edited by DeathByNissan55; 08-16-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I have a present for you...

You're already missing 3 vacuum lines that I can see and another is capped off. The manifold on that other "Turbo" engine is from an early NA motor and it has a intercooler plumbed in. It may not even be a Turbo engine.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Great looking Z!