240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

new 280z

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:15 PM

new 280z

hi all,
i've always wanted to own a 280z , after googling and seating in craiglist post
my eyes spotted a decent 280z that has 16k miles on it.
now my my consideration is to restore it and i have a low info about shops in co specially in denver
it has been hard for me to look for parts and accessories and proper shop that can do the job.

and i've set my budget for 1500$ every month until i reach to the best looking 280z

but first i would like to start with the body the guy who sold it didn't finish his paint so its stuck with the primer, but iv noticed that it has surface rust from inside the body,
how much it will cost me to remove the rust and paint the whole body?
but I'm considering a good price not over 1000 dollars. is masco a good place to go?

then after that I'm looking for an engine rebuilt, how much it will cost me plus how much is the rebuilt?
is buying a new engine is better than rebuilding the engine?

last but not least the parts and accessories from hosing until the rubber guard?
how much it will cost?

thank you for your effort
would love to hear your comments and suggestion
Attached Thumbnails new 280z-img-20140719-wa0002.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Pez

I'm starting with a considerably worse condition than you have, but I started with suspension, brakes and then dug into the motor. I think digging into what is wrong with the existing motor rather than a complete rebuild / replace is likelt the way to go, at least for my budget anyway.

After that I will move on to the body. My priority is to stabilize the rust and then build a good driver. Everyone seems to have a different approach.

I think if you are going to spend 1500 a month I would look into some NOS body parts... I saw a set of NOS front fenders on amazon for $948 shipped (w/prime).

good luck, and welcome to the site.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Sweet

Grats on the new car, welcome to ZDrivers. Looks nice and straight, thanks fro the nice high res picture too, ill add that to my desktop rotation.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 PM

Nice ... mine started out bone stock auto trans car that I got out of a barn over by Danville il it was a home for rats since 1992 I got it back at the end of January and now it runs and catches every eye in town maybe because it rusty and loud lol I've sure dumped a butt load of cash to my car the rising sun and still am ironing out some final bugs but this car is a awesome car I hope you enjoy your as much as I do mine
Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM

$1500 per month is a fat budget. That's $18,000 in a year. The sky's the limit with that to work with. Be warned, asking open ended questions on a restore at a shop will give you some serious sticker shock. Expect them to have the car for a year or more.

Unless you really want to do the work yourself, and it doesn't sound like you want to, take it to a reputable restoration/speed shop and see what they would suggest. Then take it somewhere else for a second opinion. The internet is your friend and you shouldn't worry about finding a "Z specialty" shop.

I wouldn't even consider dumping that kind of money into a Z unless I were planning on doing a full rotisserie job, and then keeping it for 30 years. You won't be able to sell it for anywhere near what you will have in it.

Something doesn't seem right for a car with only 16k miles but has rust issues and a body kit on it, AND needs engine work.

What kind of body guy primers a car and but leaves rust showing through the interior? Not a very good one.

$1000 won't even touch rust repair and decent paint.

Sounds like you have money to spend and want a really nice ride. Take a bit of advice from someone who has made dumb auto decisions in the past:

Slow down, think really hard about how much you are willing to spend on this car - TOTAL - and then back into what you you want from there. Everyone has a different tolerance for fun money, but I wouldn't spend anything over a couple of grand on an old car unless I killed all of the rust first. There is nothing so disheartening as spending money on the pretties, and then having big ugly rust bubble up through your paint job.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!