240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

looking to get my kid a 280z

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:38 PM

looking to get my kid a 280z

hi i am looking to get my kid a nice car to build up while he is still too young to drive, he is 13. this why when he finally starts driving he will know what it takes to build a fast/nice car.

i am looking at the 280z w/ a sr20det swap.

i have been out of the Nissan game for awhile, does any one know who/where i could get pre-made swap kits (like just the mounts)?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver! There used to be a website called www.sr240z.com ... dunno what happened to it. There are a couple shops throughout the US that specialize in Nissan motor swaps ( like this one: http://www.vildinimotorsport.com/ ). Expect to pay A LOT as it's mucho custom work. And may I ask why you want to drop in an SR20???
Old 04-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Über User

http://mckinneymotorsports.com/products

however.... i dont think this will be a 3 year project plus the money your going to sink into this build for your kid is like 10k cause SR motors are all JDM and you should always rebuild a JDM motor you dont know what was done with them so JDM SR front clip 2200 plus another 1500 for rebuild if you do all but the machine work yourself another 3k for the swap parts on the site i showed another 1500 for a rust free rolling chassis then another 1k in other custom parts and suspension stuff. this is if you do it all yourself all the wiring and grunt work. and then if you really want a fast car another 1500 for a standalone 1200 for a turbo 500 for misc exhaust parts 400 for cams 1k for rims that fit and will put the power down 500 for injectors 500 for IC and another 200 for piping 200 BOV 200 wastegate external only way to go 500 custom performance radiator setup 300 for affordable LSD for the rear cant put down power without one or 1200 for a quaife 300 for good guages to moniter it all. that to me is a fast car. now if you dont do all the labor yourself thats another several thousand in work. honestly. he is a kid, he is goign to be 16 and i only have ONE friend that hasnt destroyed a car from the time of 16 to 20. not a good investment. when your 16 you get a 92 toyota camry for your first car till you have your first accident, then you graduate. our drivers ed system SUCKS in this country. all kids are **** drivers until 18 imho and dont have a sense of responsibility. he is going to race it, show off to everyone and its not at all a daily driver type of car. if you really want this to be his first car i say just do a stock restoration make it pretty cause to me that is the hardest of all the work, all the body work and underbody work that goes into it. ive been there and after turning my 280Z into a near master piece i cant but not think about it every 5 minutes especially in class when its in the university parking lot. its seen rain once and im still mad about it 1 month later. if anything i think you and him should do this together and then its YOUR car till he has proven himself then you should share it.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 PM

i wanna drop a sr20 into b/c i like the power to weight ratio.

i never said it was gonna be a cheap build.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

iv seen a ka turbo dropped in a s30.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
ダットサンマニアック

Originally Posted by kevinG
i have been out of the Nissan game for awhile, does any one know who/where i could get pre-made swap kits (like just the mounts)?
I believe vildinimotorsport.com made prefab mounts for the sr20 swap, you might want to check with them.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
ダットサンマニアック

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
[url]when your 16 you get a 92 toyota camry for your first car till you have your first accident, then you graduate. our drivers ed system SUCKS in this country. all kids are **** drivers until 18 imho and dont have a sense of responsibility. he is going to race it, show off to everyone and its not at all a daily driver type of car. if you really want this to be his first car.
^^I agree with Snow on this one, most kids in including myself, are/were BAD drivers at the start...hehe some stay that way.

Why just restore the car and have your son help. Then when he shows to be responsible he can a sports car of his own.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:27 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Moved to the S30 forum.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 PM

well i want him to be help restoring it, but i also want a good engine in it. still in the thinking portion of the build... i might go with a nicely built tomei sr or rb engine. i know he likes my ride and its awd so its a little easier to handle in the snow/ice.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

L28et sounds a lot cheaper to do, an rb would be nice (in fact rb20det can be done with the stock skyline engine mounts to my knowledge) if you were to get an rb26 just shoving the awd tranny won't do. There's even more to worry about not only budget wise but safety wise when it comes to an AWD conversion. The s30 is a very light car, even the 280z which is on the heavier side should feel pretty quick with a few light mods with an L28et just because of the power to weight ratio. The SR20 doesn't make that much power, the only advantage is the weight distribution of the car. Torque is pretty much a joke when it comes to the SR. I've ridden in STRIPPED s13's with SR20's and I still didn't feel that great in em.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 PM

rb20det are **** engines... i hate that they ever came in skylines at all... and when i was talking about the rb26 i would use the gts-t 5 speed. i am not looking to try and make this a awd Godzilla, just a badass rwd car.

the sr20det are great engines as long as you build them up and add some boost.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Über User

i agree... its a sick build i dont agree you being a teenager again and building your son a death machine for an inexperienced driver. have him build it with you and say one day this will be your car. but i wouldnt hand him the keys fully until he was 18 or 20. i know my driving didnt mature to an adults type right until about 19 years old. but it also took me getting caught street racing and totalling one car to realize this. now that im 20 i love building fast and just gorgeous S30's and for the first time in about 1.5 years i was asked to street race, and just cause it was some cluber kid driving a 97 civic SI i was sooo tempted to. however, my master cylinder was failing and i had a place to be. im just saying, at 16, you should get a beater piece of **** until you can afford and take responsibility to build your own car, what i did basically. i was given a 92 camry at the age 15 and before i was 17 i blew up 6 trannies in it and then in the end i stuck it under neat a ford pickup. then i put down my own money and got a Z32. never ONCE did anything to risk it other than racing it at the track, till one day a kids torment got me and i raced his GSR swapped honda and got away with it. so what did i do about 5 months later, raced a friend and got busted, 600 for a lawyer, 300 in court fines and driving school out of my own pocket and haveing to sell the Z32 taught me my lesson. then i picked up a rolling chassis S30 did a L28ET swap sold it to a member her and i have a 280Z i picked up back in december and am already finishing up a full restoration all body work done on my own and there isnt a thing out there that would let me risk its well being. maybe toss im the keys to this car every so often on a great evening friday or saturday but to just toss him the keys right out the DMV is going to be your first mistake as a father. just watch....
Old 04-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

no offense or anything but i kinda see another hulk hogan son with the supra deal. really whats wrong with a hot l28 or a good built l24. some homework and the L is a nice potential engine. i really dont think giving a kid a 300-400 hp car right off the bat is a good parent thing to do. im no parent and i dont want to talk down to you but KIDS are stupid drivers. i was one and kinda still am. but i pay for all my bills and car parts since i was driving. here i am 22 and i still have respect for my things as well as other people things. when these cars get in a wreck its kinda like paper being crushed.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:13 PM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by kevinG
hi i am looking to get my kid a nice car to build up while he is still too young to drive, he is 13. this why when he finally starts driving he will know what it takes to build a fast/nice car.

i am looking at the 280z w/ a sr20det swap.

I think it's great that you want to do something with your son. I got my son a Honda 80 and after a year of scrapes I got him a CRF150R and he is doing good on it. Now he wants one of my Z's. I just think it's to much for a 16 year old. He is going to put time in a pos with good brakes first!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:25 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
no offense or anything but i kinda see another hulk hogan son with the supra deal.
Originally Posted by theramz
I just think it's to much for a 16 year old. He is going to put time in a pos with good brakes first!
I concur! I don't want to give parenting advice, but giving a high strung sports car to a 16 year old is asking for speeding tickets, reckless driving tickets, sky high insurance, and eventually a beloved Z smashed into a wall or car (which may or may not include somebody dying). But eh... if $$$ is coming outta your ears, it doesn't matter.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by theramz
I think it's great that you want to do something with your son.
Originally Posted by nismopick
I concur! I don't want to give parenting advice
I could have used a father image to teach me bout cars. Honestly speaking what are you giving him to appriciate and look forward to if you start him out with with this car. Sure it would put a smile on his face(who wouldn't smile). At the end your going to do what your going to do, if anything you should at least have him pay for parts or earn them.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 PM

Long time no see guys, just passing through. I didn't read all the posts but I'd suggest an l28et.. pretty much a direct swap from a 280ZXT and can make some pretty good power. Just because its a 'direct swap' doesn't mean it's going to be easy or anything, just easier than an sr20det swap. I wish my pops did the same kind of thing with me..

Daniel