240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Gas filler neck

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:07 AM

Gas filler neck

Do I need to drop the tank to replace the fuel filler neck on a 70 240z--the one on it now is not the proper one--too short-it looks like I can get at it --would like to do it as simply as possible.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by zeefogey
Do I need to drop the tank to replace the fuel filler neck on a 70 240z--the one on it now is not the proper one--too short-it looks like I can get at it --would like to do it as simply as possible.
IF YOU ARE talking about the large filler to the tank. The tank must be droped . Before you do it did you find a replacement ? I have heard of prices at or near $100. for one. There is a curved sheet metal piece at the rear of the wheel well that is held in with 3 sheet metal screws , remove this and it will make the job much easier. I dident fine this to be a easey project , more of a pain in the butt, to be exact . If you have a floor jack or a secound pair of hands to help support the tank is vary helpful. By the way if you want to eliminate the lower vent line that comes form the small end of the fuel tank you can with out any trouble. Just be sure to seal the hole in the floor by the hatch so that fumes dont enter the cabin.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:10 AM

got the filler neck in

I actually got it done without dropping the tank. The new one was so fexible and pliable that I worked the mid point flange ring down low so I could get it over the tank mouth--then i sprayed it with pam and got it real slick and slid the flange up to secure it. I was told yesterday that brake cleaner is good for sliding in rubber parts--gets it real slick for a minute or so then it evaporates--i had a slimy filler neck with the pam. Alls well that ends well--now we can put a full tank of gas in it.

zeefogey in Gilbert AZ